How big are your bites, really?

Ok, so in my ongoing effort to find every possible thing there might be to worry about (and then worry about it), I've come up with this: I don't think I can take bites the size of a standard pencil eraser. I just don't see how I'm going to do that - I take huge bites now. I'm trying to gradually pair down the size of my bites and chew thoroughly, but I don't think I'm ever going to be able to stick with the "pencil eraser" size - that's barely enough to even taste the food! Anyway, give me some feedback here - what size bites actually work for you - the dreaded pencil eraser, or can you go up to say, the size of a die (as in, pair of dice) - as long as good chewing is involved? One Australian doc's website says your bites should be about half the size they are now, chewed 20 times - or right after a fill, about a quarter of the size they are now - is this realistic?

Ok, so in my ongoing effort to find every possible thing there might be to worry about (and then worry about it), I've come up with this: I don't think I can take bites the size of a standard pencil eraser. I just don't see how I'm going to do that - I take huge bites now. I'm trying to gradually pair down the size of my bites and chew thoroughly, but I don't think I'm ever going to be able to stick with the "pencil eraser" size - that's barely enough to even taste the food! Anyway, give me some feedback here - what size bites actually work for you - the dreaded pencil eraser, or can you go up to say, the size of a die (as in, pair of dice) - as long as good chewing is involved? One Australian doc's website says your bites should be about half the size they are now, chewed 20 times - or right after a fill, about a quarter of the size they are now - is this realistic?

YOU'LL LEARN OVER TIME TO EAT SMALLER BITES. EATING ISN'T A RACE FOR ME ANY MORE. I SIT AND ENJOY A MEAL AND CHEW TO GET THE MOST I CAN OUT OF EVERY BITE

GET OUT YOUR MEASURING SPOONS, THAT'S THE BEST MEASURE I CAN THINK OF RIGHT NOW LOL

AN AVERAGE BITE FOR MYSELF WOULD BE ABOUT 1/2 tsp. MEATS FOR MYSELF BETWEEN AN 1/8 - 1/4 tsp SIZED PIECES.

(my band isn't that tight so that could make a difference also but this is what i think is about "normal', watching "normal sized woman" eat)

Small, I'm right with Pammie, but when I was losing weight and had a tight fill it was eraser size.

Food isn’t the same for me anymore – it will lose a lot of its luster and it’s more about turning it into fuel, I don’t like watching people eat – the big bitters gross me out. (I call myself a tiny bitter now).

I have a book that says a bite should be "about the size of the tip of your index finger." That is bigger than a standard pencil eraser and is easy to visualize since we all carry our index fingers around with us anyway. I consider "tip of index finger" to be the area covered by our fingernail in length, and the width and depth of that fingernail area. Mine is about 1/2 inch wide and long and slightly less deep. That might be too large of a bite for some people but I have always thought the pencil eraser comparison was too small as well.

The more restriction you have, the smaller your bites will need to be and those bites still need to be chewed well (20-30 times). Count it if you need to until you get used to chewing thoroughly. It is realistic to practice smaller bites because once you have restriction, too large of a bite or poorly chewed food/eating too fast will stop you up right away and either come back up or cause you pain/make you uncomfortable until it can pass through your small pouch opening.

Good luck with your surgery.

Small, I'm right with Pammie, but when I was losing weight and had a tight fill it was eraser size.

Food isn’t the same for me anymore – it will lose a lot of its luster and it’s more about turning it into fuel, I don’t like watching people eat – the big bitters gross me out. (I call myself a tiny bitter now).

Eraser... as on the end of a pencil? or one my kids take to school that looks like an oversized piece of gum? lol

For me it has been one of the things you adjust to as you go. With each fill you get a bit more careful and chew chew chew. It is not a bad thing, and it comes second nature now. One thing that I have noticed is when I am in a social dinning situation, I have to be extra mindful of my chewing. When I get inolved wiht conversation, I tend to swallow to soon. Yikes.

Last nigh we had NY Steaks. I did cut my steak into eraser size pieces. Other wise, I do pretty good with bigger sized pieces.

For me, I think I take bigger bits than anyone who has posted. Also it really depends on what I am eating. I try my best to take the small bits, but sometimes I forget or get comfy with that particular food that I am eating. For Example, if I am eating steak or chicken, I know to take smaller bits, for steak, about half the size of a bit that I would normally eat, but like cindylou said, I tend to swallow pieces at a time, not the whole bit. Sounds wierd. Ok now say ice cream...(my big no no food) I eat ice cream no different that I nornally did before banding, I try to eat smaller bits of everything, because that is what you are suppose to do, but sometimes you get comfy with your food. I also think, in my opinion, how resricted, tight, your band is.....Some people stats that it takes them 30 mins to eat their meal, It does not take me that long, and again it depends on what you are eating.....

Carrie

My eraser was the good, old fashion tiny one. I would pre cut my food to make sure I'd take small enough bites.

I think that’s why I know really eat and like flavorful food. Love the fresh herbs (lots of garlic) and balsamic vinegar, strong fruits and veggies, intense blue cheese – since I only eat a small amount it better have great flavor!!

I definitely take a lot smaller bites than I used to, but they are still way too big. I do what others have said where I take the bite but swallow it in like 3 or 4 swallows. I refer to it as the "chipmunk style" where I keep part of it in my cheek and take small bites of it. If I take too big of a drink of something I do the same too.

Thank you for sharing, ladies - it has made me feel like this is more do-able. I can definitely see myself doing the take-bigger-bites-but-only-swallow-a-little-at-a-time thing. That is more along the lines of the way I eat now (although, I'm sure the initial bite will still have to be quite a bit smaller). I'm excited - Sept. 29th is getting closer and closer! :)

My girlfriend actually used childrens utensils to succeed at this...she's a lapband spokesperson now- she's lost 120lbs! (You gotta find what works for you.) I had a struggle with this at first also. You will get it with time.