Dangers of an Overfill?

Sassy

I'm new to posting, but not new to the band. I was banded in November 2007, and have read many of your posts since then. Usually, if I search hard enough I can find answers to my questions. :P

I have a 10cc band, have had 4 fills since my surgery in November of 2007. For the most part, didn't see much progress until my last fill which was in mid-August, 2009. I've lost a total of 50 pounds since surgery, 30 of those since my last fill. I take full responsibility for how slow my weight loss has been because I wasn't getting fills like I should have. I continued putting off getting a fill in an attempt to save money, and finally woke up to the fact that without the proper fill, my initial investment was a waste. Ultimately, I would like to loose another 15-20 pounds, but if I don't, that's OK too, as long as I don't gain any.

Now, for the real reason for my post. As I said, my last fill was just one month ago, and I've lost about 30 pounds since then. I know I am over-filled because I literally can not keep anything down. I even have trouble with fluids, thus I'm pretty dehydrated. I know it's dangerous so I broke down and made an appointment for an "unfill" next week. My fill doctor will not be happy with me, I know. - It's only if you've waited as long as I have (nearly 2 years), to see real progress, that I would expect you to understand. I've known I've needed the unfill, but am so afraid that I'll gain some of the weight back. Anyway, can anybody tell me what the dangers are to the band if you remain over-filled? I'm quite sure I know what the dangers are physically if I continue down the path I'm on, but right now, I'd like to know if I'm putting my band in danger.

Thanks to anybody who responds, and congratulations to all of you who have succeded.

Sassy,

Here is a link to this topic from last week:

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11038

Some good information in there. Take care.

I'm new to posting, but not new to the band. I was banded in November 2007, and have read many of your posts since then. Usually, if I search hard enough I can find answers to my questions. :P

I have a 10cc band, have had 4 fills since my surgery in November of 2007. For the most part, didn't see much progress until my last fill which was in mid-August, 2009. I've lost a total of 50 pounds since surgery, 30 of those since my last fill. I take full responsibility for how slow my weight loss has been because I wasn't getting fills like I should have. I continued putting off getting a fill in an attempt to save money, and finally woke up to the fact that without the proper fill, my initial investment was a waste. Ultimately, I would like to loose another 15-20 pounds, but if I don't, that's OK too, as long as I don't gain any.

Now, for the real reason for my post. As I said, my last fill was just one month ago, and I've lost about 30 pounds since then. I know I am over-filled because I literally can not keep anything down. I even have trouble with fluids, thus I'm pretty dehydrated. I know it's dangerous so I broke down and made an appointment for an "unfill" next week. My fill doctor will not be happy with me, I know. - It's only if you've waited as long as I have (nearly 2 years), to see real progress, that I would expect you to understand. I've known I've needed the unfill, but am so afraid that I'll gain some of the weight back. Anyway, can anybody tell me what the dangers are to the band if you remain over-filled? I'm quite sure I know what the dangers are physically if I continue down the path I'm on, but right now, I'd like to know if I'm putting my band in danger.

Thanks to anybody who responds, and congratulations to all of you who have succeded.

BrandNewDawn,

Thanks for the link. It was very informative, and a little scary. I go for my unfill today, in a couple of hours to be exact. Wish me luck.

Sassy ><'

Sassy,

Here is a link to this topic from last week:

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11038

Some good information in there. Take care.

Hi CindyLou,

My "unfill" went perfectly well. They took .2 cc's out, and initially I felt I had lost all of my restriction with just that small amount taken out. However, since then I'm back to feeling the restriction I should be feeling without PB'ng, acid reflux, total exhaustion etc. Right now I'm feeling I made the right decision, I listened to what my body was telling me, and believe me it wasn't good. I may need to be a bit more aware what I'm putting into my mouth now, to avoid any weight gain, but we should be doing that anyway, right? :D

As I've stated previously, I don't post much, but I noticed you are going to be working on having a baby. How exciting - I wish you much luck. :girl_wacko:

how did it go today??

Sassy - I notice you are from Wyoming. I grew up in Wheatland, WY and lived in Cheyenne. Where abouts are from?

Hi CindyLou,

My "unfill" went perfectly well. They took .2 cc's out, and initially I felt I had lost all of my restriction with just that small amount taken out. However, since then I'm back to feeling the restriction I should be feeling without PB'ng, acid reflux, total exhaustion etc. Right now I'm feeling I made the right decision, I listened to what my body was telling me, and believe me it wasn't good. I may need to be a bit more aware what I'm putting into my mouth now, to avoid any weight gain, but we should be doing that anyway, right? :D

As I've stated previously, I don't post much, but I noticed you are going to be working on having a baby. How exciting - I wish you much luck. :girl_wacko:

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better. Don't be alarmed if you initially gain a little weight....3 or 4 lbs...due to becoming more hydrated. At least a few of those lbs could have come from not having enough fluids. BUT...once you get back in balance I have a feeling your are going to start losing again. And getting those fluids down are going to make SUCH a difference in how you feel.

Yep, it will be baby time soon. The main reason I got the band was to lose weight and get healthy before having a baby. (and of course keep it off for a lifetime..)I want to start off health in the beginning. So I figure 2-3 more months of losing (hopefully 20-30 more lbs now that I have a good fill)...then 2 months of a holding pattern, then BABY TIME. I am going through some major changes at work (good changes) and then it will be a good time to shake things up a bit :))

CindyLou, You were right, I've gained 5 pounds. :lb20: I'm in a panic and told my hubby yesterday I was scheduling another "fill". I'm hoping I can get half of what was taken out, put back in, and that should be my sweet spot, I'm hoping for that anyway. I agree with your theroy that it's probably just a matter of becoming more hydrated, but anything over 5 pounds will be unacceptable to me. In fact, I think even the 5 pounds is pushing it. Thanks for your encouragement tho, every little bit helps.

Sounds like you are a planner. Good luck with all the changes you have facing you, and enjoy life. :bye:

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better. Don't be alarmed if you initially gain a little weight....3 or 4 lbs...due to becoming more hydrated. At least a few of those lbs could have come from not having enough fluids. BUT...once you get back in balance I have a feeling your are going to start losing again. And getting those fluids down are going to make SUCH a difference in how you feel.

Yep, it will be baby time soon. The main reason I got the band was to lose weight and get healthy before having a baby. (and of course keep it off for a lifetime..)I want to start off health in the beginning. So I figure 2-3 more months of losing (hopefully 20-30 more lbs now that I have a good fill)...then 2 months of a holding pattern, then BABY TIME. I am going through some major changes at work (good changes) and then it will be a good time to shake things up a bit :))

Hi Sassy,

its always better to pace yourself and save your band! If you were dehydrated prior to your unfill your body is holding onto that water right now, your body will regulate when it realizes you keep replenishing it. An overfill is never a good thing, even if it takes you longer to get to your goal by working up to your perfect restriction, that's better than losing your band due to a slip (the most common reason for a slipped band is one that's too tight). I'm so glad you went and got an unfill! Very smart move!

If you have any questions just give me a call.

CindyLou, You were right, I've gained 5 pounds. :lb20: I'm in a panic and told my hubby yesterday I was scheduling another "fill". I'm hoping I can get half of what was taken out, put back in, and that should be my sweet spot, I'm hoping for that anyway. I agree with your theroy that it's probably just a matter of becoming more hydrated, but anything over 5 pounds will be unacceptable to me. In fact, I think even the 5 pounds is pushing it. Thanks for your encouragement tho, every little bit helps.

Sounds like you are a planner. Good luck with all the changes you have facing you, and enjoy life. :bye: