Experienced Banders Please Advise

I was banded on August 12th at the OCC. I am really excited about this new change in my life but really have not lost as much as I would have wanted to date (10lbs)... My first fill is scheduled for Sept. 17th (locally/no fluro). I feel very little restriction... Really, I only feel a slight pain on my left side after a full meal.

Will those of you with experience please advise as to when and how you experienced the most weight loss? I recognize that this is a transition and that everyone is different but I would really appreciate any insight.

Thank you!

Alina

If you look at my stats at the bottom of this post you will get a pretty good idea of how things may happen. I lost on the pre-op and during liquid phase, but then I GAINED when I went back to solids and had no fill. After my first fill, I started to lose again but as it loosened (from loss of fat I guess) I GAINED again. I don't have the willpower to lose consistently without good restriction...you can see the pattern below.

The good news is, despite some plateaus and even some gains along the way, I'm still down more than 70 pounds in nine months! I'm certain you will start losing once you have good restriction, but that can take a few fills to feel. Until then, you'll have to use willpower more than band power, which is very difficult. Good luck!

Sabrina:)

Kind of the same deal w/ me. Lost about 12 on the 21 days and then gained all but 7 of it back before my first fill. As I got fills I lost fairly consistently but really started losing when I began working out w/ it. Hit my first plateau in May and it was a doozie - only lost about 3 lbs from then until August. Part of that is b/c I wasn't keeping track of my food and also I started running so there was some muscle building there. I've started losing again these last couple weeks so i'm hoping it keeps up b/c I think if I go to my fill dr again she won't give me a fill. She didn't want to give me one last time saying she didn't think I ate enough, but I don't get that restriction like everyone else does. But I also don't get hungry very often. Sometimes around 3 but that is it.

If you are losing 1-2 lbs a week you are doing good. I encourage people to write down that they eat and note which weeks are successful and why. Also, exercise is key.

Good luck!

I was banded on August 12th at the OCC. I am really excited about this new change in my life but really have not lost as much as I would have wanted to date (10lbs)... My first fill is scheduled for Sept. 17th (locally/no fluro). I feel very little restriction... Really, I only feel a slight pain on my left side after a full meal.

Will those of you with experience please advise as to when and how you experienced the most weight loss? I recognize that this is a transition and that everyone is different but I would really appreciate any insight.

Thank you!

Alina

[/quote

Just to give you something to compare to, I was banded on July 27th. I lost 10 pounds on the 21 day liquid diet after surgery, but gained 2 pounds back when I went to solids. I haven't lost anymore weight, but I've gone from a size 16 to a size 14, so that is helpful. Dr. So said not to weigh myself all the time, just go by how my clothes fill, or I will become obssessed with the scale. So I'm only weighing myself once a week or so and going with the flow. He said that the weight loss will be slow, but it will be long term. So I am going with that and am not going to expect too much, at least until after my next fill or 2 if I have to have a 3rd. I just don't have enough restriction yet, so I am doing this on will power. After my first fill, I did notice that if I eat something too dry, or forget to chew thoroughly, I get a very uncomfortable pain in my chest. That is a real motivator to avoid things I know I shouldn't eat.

Red

If you look at my stats at the bottom of this post you will get a pretty good idea of how things may happen. I lost on the pre-op and during liquid phase, but then I GAINED when I went back to solids and had no fill. After my first fill, I started to lose again but as it loosened (from loss of fat I guess) I GAINED again. I don't have the willpower to lose consistently without good restriction...you can see the pattern below.

The good news is, despite some plateaus and even some gains along the way, I'm still down more than 70 pounds in nine months! I'm certain you will start losing once you have good restriction, but that can take a few fills to feel. Until then, you'll have to use willpower more than band power, which is very difficult. Good luck!

Sabrina:)

Sabrina,

Thank you I've been watching your progress and you are doing awesome!!! I hope to be down 70 lbs in 9 months!!! That would be fantastic!!! I go for my first fill on Thursday so please let me know if there is anything I should tell the Dr.

I sincerely appreciate your insight!!!

Alina :P

Kind of the same deal w/ me. Lost about 12 on the 21 days and then gained all but 7 of it back before my first fill. As I got fills I lost fairly consistently but really started losing when I began working out w/ it. Hit my first plateau in May and it was a doozie - only lost about 3 lbs from then until August. Part of that is b/c I wasn't keeping track of my food and also I started running so there was some muscle building there. I've started losing again these last couple weeks so i'm hoping it keeps up b/c I think if I go to my fill dr again she won't give me a fill. She didn't want to give me one last time saying she didn't think I ate enough, but I don't get that restriction like everyone else does. But I also don't get hungry very often. Sometimes around 3 but that is it.

If you are losing 1-2 lbs a week you are doing good. I encourage people to write down that they eat and note which weeks are successful and why. Also, exercise is key.

Good luck!

Shelby,

I have also been tracking your progress. I appreciate your support. I recognize that I have not implemented exercise as I should have so I will get on that tomorrow. Also, I have not been consistant in journaling, which in the past for me has been key...

Thank you,

Red -

Thank you for the info. I can definately see a difference in my clothes and do get insane with charting the weight...

I am really looking forward to getting the fill on the 17th!!! Thank you for posting I appreciate the insight!