Lap-band surgery and Coumadin

I am new to this forum and am very grateful for the posts that I have been reading. I am scheduled to have the surgery Jan. 3rd, but since my BMI is so high (58), I was told that I need to be on a low-carb liquid diet for 2 weeks before surgery to reduce the size of my liver. This, I understand, will make the procedure easier for the doctor and since the liver is easy to bleed, it will reduce the risk of a bleeding episode. I am in SERIOUS need of loosing weight but I am extremely concerned of bleeding or clotting. Anybody have any experience with this problem?

Also, anyone post surgery have any comments regarding your experience with taking any meds? Did or do you have to change anything, like when you take them or how you take them? (ie. crushing, opening capsules, etc.)

Thank you.

Songbird your singing my song! I had a high BMI 55 and had to lose weight before surgery. Start today if you can the more you lose the better you will feel going into the banding process and continuing on liquids after surgery. Your body will also respond well because you won't be fighting those hunger pangs for your favorite food at the same time you are trying to recover. I just started to eat as though I already had a band in place to help train myself into the new routine to come.

The number one thing to do is stay in touch with Dr. Miranda and she will guide you to being fully ready by the time you have surgery. Follow her directions to the letter and if you need to change from them for any reason talk with her first to get her approval. If I can do it you can. I have a local MD that is monitoring me with labwork to assist in any concerns that come up.

The medication question is also one you need to ask Dr. Miranda because it is contingent on the type of meds you are taking on how you should approach medicating. Keep us up to date on your weight loss progress there are many on the board who can relate with you and exchange information on their experiences.

Best wishes on a successful pre-op weightloss! ! Kevin

Thank you Kevin for your words of understanding, incouragement and support. I am going to follow your suggestion of starting the pre-op diet early. So, since I just made some turkey soup from my Thanksgiving bird, I will start the diet on Dec. 1st. That will give me 4 weeks instead of 2 weeks.

I am not sure how this happened , but I am on the wrong forum site. My dr. is Dr. Kuri with a different clinic. I hope I am still welcome on this forum. I have addressed the coumadin question to my coordinator and will follow through with Dr. Kuri as well.

Thank you again for your support.

Tammy (Songbird)

I HAVE TO TAKE CUMIDIN ON A DAILY BASIC, AND I KNOW ITS SCARY, BUT I FIGURE SO IS DRIVING A CAR, YOULL HAVE TO STOP AND THINK ABOUT IT, I HAD A DIFFRENT KIND OF SURGERS AND GOT A BLOOD CLOT DOWN THE MAJOR ARTIRY OF MY LEFT LEG,,,, I NOT GOING TO ADVISE YOU EITHER WAY,

FOR WE MUST ALWAYS GO ON OUR GUT FEELINGS. AND PRAY ABOUT IT,,THE DR. TOLD I WAS A EXTREME CASE AND WE CAN ONLY HOPE FOR THE BEST. IM GOING ON MY OWN DECISION AND MADAM YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE THAT SAME CHOISE. GOOD LUCH AND GOD BLESS

Thank you Kevin for your words of understanding, incouragement and support. I am going to follow your suggestion of starting the pre-op diet early. So, since I just made some turkey soup from my Thanksgiving bird, I will start the diet on Dec. 1st. That will give me 4 weeks instead of 2 weeks.

I am not sure how this happened , but I am on the wrong forum site. My dr. is Dr. Kuri with a different clinic. I hope I am still welcome on this forum. I have addressed the coumadin question to my coordinator and will follow through with Dr. Kuri as well.

Thank you again for your support.

Tammy (Songbird)

Tammy - you are so welcome on this forum as well as any other - I have heard alot about Dr. Kuri and I love talking with Sandy R she posts on obesity help.com alot and is very informative about nutrition- we are just one BIG happy band family---trying to make our way small :lol: jk

Thank you kaymcmillin,

Yes, we all do have to make our own desisions. I am in the info gathering, pre-op but scheduled mode. My question regarding post-op and lifetime coumadin is more about how people did post surgery and any problems with the lap-band specific to having to take coumadin. Thank you for you imput. -- Tammy

Thank you Cyndi,

You are a sweetheart and funny too!!! I am glad to be a part of this family.... especially the getting smaller part!

Tammy