Scale obsessed & worried about eating!

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery exactly a week ago today. :lb21: In my 7 days of clear liquids, I've lost 12 lbs. If I keep going at this rate (2-3 lbs. down a day) I'm on track to lose 30 lbs. since the beginning of September. (Pre-op & Post-op diets). 30 lbs in 30 days sounds SOOOO amazing to say!! What a crazy accomplishment! :cheerleader:

In any case, now I'm on to drinkable yogurt starting today. I'm terrified that now that I'm adding the yogurt, and soon, "full" liquids, that my weight loss will dramatically decrease! I'm actually scared to go drink the yogurt because I've been so obsessed with the weight loss! :negative:

Has anyone gone through this? How to I stop obsessing about the scale and the magic number? I actually think it's better for me to step on the scale every morning, because it helps me dictate how I will eat that day, and measure how I ate the day before. For example, one day, I may have lost 2.4 lbs. The next day, I eliminated the after dinner popsicle & lost 3 lbs. Keeps me on track. Is that bad?

I know I can't keep this weight loss up...and that I'm probably only losing this much now because I'm pretty much starving myself, but WOW....30 lbs in 30 days! I LOVE saying that!!!

HELP! I'm going crazy! :wacko:

focus on fat loss. not so much weight loss.

my scale hasn't moved in 2 weeks (i only step on ONCE a week), but I'm still going down at least 1/2" on my body measurements ....

start monitoring progress with measurements, not the scale.

Especially once you start to incorporate solid food, it's going to be a major mind-f*ck when you see the scale gradually go back up.

:)

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery exactly a week ago today. :lb21: In my 7 days of clear liquids, I've lost 12 lbs. If I keep going at this rate (2-3 lbs. down a day) I'm on track to lose 30 lbs. since the beginning of September. (Pre-op & Post-op diets). 30 lbs in 30 days sounds SOOOO amazing to say!! What a crazy accomplishment! :cheerleader:

In any case, now I'm on to drinkable yogurt starting today. I'm terrified that now that I'm adding the yogurt, and soon, "full" liquids, that my weight loss will dramatically decrease! I'm actually scared to go drink the yogurt because I've been so obsessed with the weight loss! :negative:

Has anyone gone through this? How to I stop obsessing about the scale and the magic number? I actually think it's better for me to step on the scale every morning, because it helps me dictate how I will eat that day, and measure how I ate the day before. For example, one day, I may have lost 2.4 lbs. The next day, I eliminated the after dinner popsicle & lost 3 lbs. Keeps me on track. Is that bad?

I know I can't keep this weight loss up...and that I'm probably only losing this much now because I'm pretty much starving myself, but WOW....30 lbs in 30 days! I LOVE saying that!!!

HELP! I'm going crazy! :wacko:

12 lbs is great!!! When I was on the liquid diet it seemed like the weight was just falling off every day. It does slow down once you start your creamy liquids stage. It really slows down and unfortunately some of it returns when you start you solids. Honestly, right now I would suggest to just take it as it comes.

It's a challenge, but I don't weigh myself everyday. I prefer to do that because it helps me avoid the daily obsessions and emotions of not hitting the magic number. When I weigh in every couple of days I'm almost sure to see a decrease and then I feel like I'm right on track to my goal.

I also went through that right after surgery for about 5 weeks. It's normal and you will be disappointed when you stop losing so rapidly. The rapid weight loss is truly because you are starving yourself. You may have noticed that ketosis has set in and you have bad breath as well. Going back on food is strange after not eating for 3 weeks. I plateau'd for about 2 weeks, went on a cruise, gained 4 lbs, got my 1st fill, and have already lost those 4 plus 1.5. The obsession will get better...

I hate to tell you but chances are you will gain some of that back once you go on solids. You are depriving your body right now and once you go back on solids your body is going to hang on to every calorie for a while. But don't fret it comes back off eventually. Don't let it get to ya and know it happened to most of us.

Thanks, everyone. I think what really got me was that Dr. Ortiz said, "You should lose 40 lbs. in 8 weeks." So here, I'm thinking, "WOW...I've got a ways to go! How on earth am I going to do that?!?!" Another reason why "30 in 30" is so appealing is that I could be at 200 lbs. on the 30th. Which means I may start October in ONEderland!! WOW. I haven't been there since I got married 8 years ago! I think that's why...as Lindsay said it best...it's such a major mind-f*ck. :blink:

I feel like the only thing keeping me on track with the post-op madness is the weight-loss. YES....I'm feeling the bandster hell. I can't even phathom occupying myself with other things to pass the time! Ugg...2 more weeks. I'm scared to eat. Although it's a reality, I don't want to use it as an excuse! I totally see myself saying, "Ooohhh...up 2 lbs. Well, everyone said I was likely to gain weight back anyway!" and go about my bad eating ways. I know, I know....I need to mentally change. I hope that change comes sooner than later. I want to stay motivated...