Help

Hey whats up all my lap band people, I get banded on the 22nd, go me. I'm a newbie and I'm basically doing the pre-op diet right now. Unfortunately I'm failing miserably. I would love some advice from anyone that might be able to help. I tried option one for about a day and that didn't work, then I switched to option three and that worked for about a day also. I don't know if it is will power that I lack or something but this is not working. I feel like the surgery is right aroung the corner and I am nowhere near my goal. Please Help!!!

Hi there

Dont be so hard on yourself!

Some people lose alot of weight on the pre-op diet, some on the liquid diet afterwards, and some not.

In the end, how well you do and how quickly it happens depends on how much to adhere to what they say, and also, eventually, the lap band will help when it restricts how much you can eat.

But this is a mental game too. Its hard to do this on willpower alone. You need support and tricks!

I have struggled with weight so much myself, but I refused to let myself get to the 200lb mark and since that was the case, I did not have to do the pre-op diet. So I am not exactly in your position but I want you to know we are all here to help encourage you. Please take a look at LISAL (a member here and see her journey) http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showuser=1345

Its a step by step process, one at a time.

Have you read any of Dr Oz's books?

Well he says, at the first available opportunity, turn around and start again, never give up. Forgive yourself for making a mistake and just try again at the next opportunity.

Hang in there!

Karin G

Hey whats up all my lap band people, I get banded on the 22nd, go me. I'm a newbie and I'm basically doing the pre-op diet right now. Unfortunately I'm failing miserably. I would love some advice from anyone that might be able to help. I tried option one for about a day and that didn't work, then I switched to option three and that worked for about a day also. I don't know if it is will power that I lack or something but this is not working. I feel like the surgery is right aroung the corner and I am nowhere near my goal. Please Help!!!

Hi Odette,

I did the option of 2 shakes & a lean cuisine for 2 weeks. The Slim Fast Optima kept me pretty full for a while. Make sure you pick up some Gas X strips, because those tended to make me gassy. :huh: The Lean Cuisines, I made sure, were foods I really thought I would enjoy because I knew I'd have to stick with them for a couple of weeks! I DID CHEAT! I have to put that out there....but the next day, I started again. Or, if I wanted to go to lunch with co-workers, I chose a healthy meal, then had a shake for dinner. Load up on the salad greens and spray dressing also. That gets filling. Also...the metamucil helped a lot with hunger in between the meals.

GOOD LUCK!!! You're almost there!!!!

Hi there

Dont be so hard on yourself!

Some people lose alot of weight on the pre-op diet, some on the liquid diet afterwards, and some not.

In the end, how well you do and how quickly it happens depends on how much to adhere to what they say, and also, eventually, the lap band will help when it restricts how much you can eat.

But this is a mental game too. Its hard to do this on willpower alone. You need support and tricks!

I have struggled with weight so much myself, but I refused to let myself get to the 200lb mark and since that was the case, I did not have to do the pre-op diet. So I am not exactly in your position but I want you to know we are all here to help encourage you. Please take a look at LISAL (a member here and see her journey) http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showuser=1345

Its a step by step process, one at a time.

Have you read any of Dr Oz's books?

Well he says, at the first available opportunity, turn around and start again, never give up. Forgive yourself for making a mistake and just try again at the next opportunity.

Hang in there!

Karin G

Thanx Karin I appreciate ur help, I think u r right I'm being a little hard on myself, I just don't want to fail at this. I need to pick myself up and try again. I have not read any of Dr. Oz's books, they should be helpful.

Hi Odette,

I did the option of 2 shakes & a lean cuisine for 2 weeks. The Slim Fast Optima kept me pretty full for a while. Make sure you pick up some Gas X strips, because those tended to make me gassy. :huh: The Lean Cuisines, I made sure, were foods I really thought I would enjoy because I knew I'd have to stick with them for a couple of weeks! I DID CHEAT! I have to put that out there....but the next day, I started again. Or, if I wanted to go to lunch with co-workers, I chose a healthy meal, then had a shake for dinner. Load up on the salad greens and spray dressing also. That gets filling. Also...the metamucil helped a lot with hunger in between the meals.

GOOD LUCK!!! You're almost there!!!!

Thanx Charelle, I used the slimfast optima shakes as well and I mixed in some metamucil b/c I didn't want to drink it by itself but I was still hungry. Then I ended up eating three of the lean cuisines, 'cuz I wasn't full and was very discouraged. I will try again, harder this time. Thanx again for ur comments they are very helpful.

You and your daughter are sooo cute!

Nice picture, take care

Karin G

hey there Odette :) I did the slimfast and a lean cuisine plan...it was def hard...but I drank broth in between...every time I was hungry...or ate things that were "free" food on weight watchers...like cucumber...green peppers...celery. That seriously helped me...even though it was not what I was wanting to eat...it helped me to have the saltiness of the broth...and crunchiness of the raw veggies.

Dr. Oz's books are free at the library but since he now has a show on tv, he is extra popular, so its hard to find them available.

They sometimes have cds or tapes of the book which is nice because you can listen to them driving or "relaxing" instead of holding a book too.

I have not lost alot of my weight yet, but for 2 years before the band, I was eating right and exercising like a crazy woman, 3-4 times a week, 1-2 hours each time at the gym. I spent $1600 on a personal trainer and although I bet my heart health improved, I could not lose anything other than a couple pounds and an inch here or there. I felt better emotionally due to the exercise, but that was not motivating enough to keep it up. Anyway, here we are, having some success, bit at a time. You can do it too!

I think the losing all this weight fast is not going to happen until you get the right restriction in the band, and then its because you dont eat lots of junk food and milkshakes. If you do that, you wont have any success.

Talk to ya later Odette,

Karin

Thanx Holly and Karin, You guys u guys r soo great I love this forum it is so helpful, especially to newbies like myself. I have tried adding salad greens to my diet, the only porblem with that is that I don't like too many vegetables. I have less that two weeks until the surgery and still have quite a bit to lose. I have read different posts and have seen that a lot of people have difficulty with the pre-op diet. I am just praying that even if I dont lose all that I have to lose I will still be able to get the surgery.

Hey Odette! I just started my preop about 4 days ago, I am being banded on Nov. 11th.. just figured I would give myself plenty of time to lose the 15lbs I have to lose. I am using EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control and they are keeping me much fuller than Slimfast Optima ever did! I used to use them when I was trying my own diets. You can get the EAS at Walmart close to the vitamins.. they are actually in the muscle building section. They have more protein in them than the Slimfast.. that may be why they keep me fuller. I have lost 5lbs.... but I also had to lay off the soda that may have helped too!

Good luck and stick with it!! I cheated last night too bc we had our local fair... LOL! But got right back on today! You will be fine and just think... in a few weeks you will be in bandland!!! Keep us posted!!

(Guess I better go update my ticker for my weightoss!!)