BMI 30 or less

Hello,

I'd like to find out if anyone here started out with a BMI of 30 or less. If so, has the band worked for you? How much weight have you lost so far? Also, I thought I read somewhere that a Dr. in New York was experimenting with lower BMI surgery. Do you know who the Dr is?

Thank you.

Well, I think this is all a matter of opinion for most people.

I have not come across anyone in the 6 months of research and groups of someone who had a band with less than 30 BMI. I think the littlest I have seen is 34 and that is me. I am a 34.7 BMI. Normal BMI is 19-25 for an American woman so I am not sure that any doctor would even do it under 30. But then again, I think it depends on each persons situation and quality of life. Are you healthy? Any co morbidities? What have been your weight loss attempts? etc etc.... I think a consultation with your doctor or a nutritionist is probably the best step but only YOU know YOU. And the band is a weightloss tool only and is a decision based on you by you. Good luck in your journey!

Correction: My bmi is 33.7 I just found out! wooooooooo hoooooooo!

Hello Cindy,

I just got banded on March 2. I had a BMI of 32 at the time of surgery. I have done great so far! I am down alittle over 12 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks!! I am starting to get a little bit hungry now that my swelling has probably gone down inside, but am satisfied with much less than before! Today was my first day to excersize also, I did 30 minutes on the elliptical. In my research I have only seen a few comments from people with BMIs less than 35, but they all seem positive. I do know that Mexico seems to be the best place to go for low BMI patients, and I had a great experience with Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sincerely,

Monica

I was a 30.1 BMI and was banded January 3rd 2005 by Dr. Sanchez in Monterey.

I am 5'7 and weighed 192 at weigh in but actually weighed l95 at home.

I have lost almost 15 lbs.

I don't care what anyone thinks about me getting the band. It is my money, my body and my HEALTH. I was headed to 200lbs. My mother is obese and there is a history of illnessess related to obesity in my family.

I already feel better. I wanted to lose 50lbs.

Joy Bug,

Congrats on the 15 pound loss!! I agree with you completely on the low BMI issue!! I was curious if you have had your first fill yet? I was banded on March 2nd and just started solids this week. I find that I have alittle restriction, but am still getting hungry throughout the day....I know I shouldn't complain because Im eating much less than before! I just read a post on lapbandtalk.com by a lady who just had her first fill and can't keep much of anything down. Im wondering if Im losing at 2-3 pounds per week and am a low BMI patient if I should continue without a fill for as long as I can? Thanks for any feedback!!

Hi, I am Susie. I am very glad to hear others with lower BMI's are having this procedure. I am 30.1 and carry my obesity well. Most people don't think I weigh as much as I do. But I do. And I remove my clothes as soon as I get home from work and put on stretchy clothes to get comfortable. I am miserable and can't stop eating. I have been put on blood pressure pills within the past month. I snore, have mild sleep apnea, high cholesterol and high triglycerides. I have had back surgery and find it difficult to exercise. I have a young, busy family and of course STRESS!! I know that a 30 BMI is considered borderline, but I FEEL nearly as wide as I am tall. I have no energy and I am getting depressed.

I am grateful that Dr. Ortiz and associates is willing to help us people in the gray area between thin and obese enough to get insurance to pay for it, and at a very economical price considering everything.

I expect this to change my life. I hope to be successful and be able to be an example to other who need help.

My surgery is scheduled for April 1. Any advise will be appreciated. I am really afraid that I will still be hungry afterwards.

Thanks for listening to me babble!?!?

Susie

HI Cindy,

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez on March 28, 2004. I was done with all the fad diets, exhausted really. My BMI was 32 and i as so worried they wouldn't let me have the surgery. I am so glad they did. I was headed well over 200 lbs and for a girl of 5'3 that was a lot. I am a single mom with 2 kids. All I could think of was that I want to see them grow up. My health was good now, but who knows what it would have been if I kept gaining weight. I decided to be proactive rather than reactive about my health. I am so glad I did.

I have lost almost 35 lbs. Though the scale has not moved in a little while, i am still shrinking. I went from size 14 to size 8/10. I feel great and I have lots of energy to keep up with the kids. I can say it was the best decision I have ever made. I look great and feel great.

Hope that helps!

Catherine

Hello! My BMI was 32 and I had my band placed by Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez in Jan. 2005. Had my first fill March 5th. I have lost 9.5 pounds so far. Not too much exercise either. I am soooo excited. I have tried every diet out there. I am hoping to relieve my asthma symptoms. Besides that, I am sure diabetes and high BP were just around the corner.

As a RN, I knew what I needed to do to loose the weight, I failed every time. Oh I lost it, then it would come back really fast! My success rate was ZERO percent.

Best of luck to all of you. I think we have choosen a very successful way to lose weight and better than that, keep it off!

PS; my first fill was perfect. It was 2 ccs.

Julie

Tampa Bay, Florida

Susie,

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on March 2, 2005. I had a BMI of 32 and weighted 185 on the day of surgery. Today March 30th I am 171!!! I was 170, but seem to have gained a pound since I started solids 7 days ago! As far as the hunger factor goes, I did pretty well during the liquids stage. I was rarely hungry and was satisfied with very little during that time. Needless to say I was thrilled with the 15 pound loss!!!!! I have been alittle frustrated this past week, because I started solids, have gained a pound, and feel like I could eat anything. When I study the portions that I am eating though, it really is much less than I was eating before. I am going to schedule my fill at the 6 week point and then I hope to feel some restriction. I'm sure that my swelling has gone completely down and I'm wide open in there!! Its weird though, although the scale has stopped moving, my clothes are feeling better and better. As far as the surgery, it was a great experience. Everyone was so nice and accomodating. I don't remember much about the day or the day after surgery, and the pain was very minimal. I never took pain medication after I left the hospital!! The scars look great, the only one you really even notice is the port scar and that's just a thin red line. I expect at 6 months to a year out you will barely notice them at all! Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be happy to help. Also, go on lapbandtalk.com it's a great site for LOTS of info!!

Monica

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ,

I too was a low BMI 28. I was banded on 4/20. I've gained 6 lbs yet my wrist watch is spinning around my wrist and dropped down my arm about 1.5 inches. Yes I am sticking to the rules clear liquids. I'm wondering if it might be from the sodium in the chicken broth??? I stopped the boullion cubes 2 days ago, just in case. I was wondering if anyone's port stuck out abit after surgery. My Dr told me there was not enough fat where they normally place it. He said not to be concerned because it would eventually get sucked in further after the swelling. Did anyone else feel like they were pregnant with an alien???? I was also totally bummed that the scale went the other way (up). I haven't eaten in 6 days and I remember everyone I read about before surgery lost so much weight in the first week, I thought I'd be at goal in 3 months. I weighed 160 pre-op now 166. My goal is 118.

Thank you all,

GiGi

160/166/118

GiGi,

Hello! Don't worry about what the scale is saying right now. I'm sure that you'll find that after your swelling goes down you'll notice a big drop in the number!! My port does stick out a tiny bit, but I dont think anyone else would notice. I was a lower BMI patient also (32) and I lost 15 pounds in the first 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I have stalled out since then and have stayed the same for the last 4 weeks!! I am really ready for a fill and am hoping to go for one next week!! I have noticed a big difference in my clothes though, and do think sometimes you lose inches despite what the scale says!! Good Luck with everything!

Monica

Hi GiGi:

I was banded on April 1st and I did gain weight at first. 30.1 bmi and surgery at 167.5 then I got home and stepped on the scales on April 4th and I was 170.1. I thnk that it is a combination of salty liquids, especially the two to four bags of IV solution they pumped into us at the hospital and not getting enough water, you know ever Gatoraid tastes salty. I since began to lose and am at 150.6 today. That's about 19 lbs in 24 days!!! Just hang in there and stay on clear liquids.

Susie

;)

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback. I hope your right. There is nothing worse than being on a very strict diet and feeling like your failing still, even after all this.

This bump is really depressing me. Am I stuck with this? I was always planning on wearing slinkly clothes when I lost the weight. With this port bump I'll still have to wear those big baggy shirts that I dread. Any feedback on the bump please????

Do you have one or know of anyone that had one????

Thank you...

GiGi

I am 5 1/2 weeks post op and I have the "bump" too. I can completely feel my port and if I suck in my tummy I see a slight bulge too. I am not sure if it is something we will have to live with or not. I am going to ask Dr. Martinez about it when I go for my first fill May 7th.

I, too, have lost only 17 lbs since surgery. I don't really notice a loss in inches or clothes size but do feel firmer for some reason. With my first fill, I am hoping to see a huge difference. Plus, I am planning on starting to run for exercise again at 8 weeks post op! That always seems to shed pounds!