Dr Tang, Victoria, BC

Hey All,

I am brand new to the group. Even though I am still researching and getting info regarding the AGB I did get an OR date for 13 Jan 10.

I have been able to find a lot of info regarding Dr Amson in Victoria, however, I am scheduled with his partner Dr Tang. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has used him? Or even just heard of him? I know that Dr Amson seems to have a good reputation, however, I am learning that their after op care seems to be a bit lacking in comparison to other places that are offering this service, for example access to a dietitian that is trained and has experience specific to AGB patients. With the stringent diet restrictions and long term consideration, I would think that this would be critical.

Thanks All

Bear

Hey All,

I am brand new to the group. Even though I am still researching and getting info regarding the AGB I did get an OR date for 13 Jan 10.

I have been able to find a lot of info regarding Dr Amson in Victoria, however, I am scheduled with his partner Dr Tang. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has used him? Or even just heard of him? I know that Dr Amson seems to have a good reputation, however, I am learning that their after op care seems to be a bit lacking in comparison to other places that are offering this service, for example access to a dietitian that is trained and has experience specific to AGB patients. With the stringent diet restrictions and long term consideration, I would think that this would be critical.

Thanks All

Bear

Hi Bear!

I met up with Dr. Tang in July of 2008. We went over the options for me and at the time the price of the lapband through his office was out of my reach ( and still is!!!) I was then put on a list for a gastric by-pass and told it was a 1-2 year wait. I found his demeanor practical and very professional. My G.P says Dr. Tang has a lot of experience with the lapband surgical proceedure.

In August of '09 I called his office just to see where I was on the wait list and told that it could be another 1-2 years. Last month the Times Colonist ran an article advising that elective bariatric surgery was being put on hold indefinitely!

Upon learning that information I decided to pursue other avenues. I spoke with a friend (who had her lapband proceedure done at OCC by Dr. Ortiz last year) and she raved about the entire process. With that piece of advise, I e-mailed OCC and was immediately contacted by patient co-ordinator Lori Wrights. By the end of our conversation I had booked an appointment and three weeks later ( October 17, 2009) I had my lapband in place!

I can't say enough great things about OCC ! They were efficient, competent. well organized, thoughtful and professional to the nines! The entire process was 1st class and the cost (even including the airfare) is way less than what it cost in Canada.

My advise is do whatever you can to book the proceedure through OCC.

Cheers,

Cheryl / Victoria, B.C

I go to a lap-band support group in Vancouver (off and on over a year) and I don't know anybody that's had the surgery by either Victoria surgeons. I know Dr. Amson does lots of gastric bypass, but wasn't aware he does banding too. I'm curious what the cost and the wait time is. When I looked in to getting banded in Canada it was much more pricey than at OCC (which is where most of us here on the OCC forum had the procedure) plus the local docs had long waits. Wherever you have it, you'll have to take charge of after-care and seek out fill docs, support etc. I'd be happy to share what I know.

Sabrina:)

Thanks for the info.

I guess you do not want to hear that I in less than a month I have seen Dr Tang for a consult, am seeing him again to get some more info and specifics and I have an OR date mid Jan 10. The reason that I am looking further into Dr Tang's rep is that I was able to get everything so quickly.....Why? Is because his is not good? During the consult he mentioned a couple of things that do not ring reasonable with me. For example, he told me that I would never be able to have food with starches again. Of course this includes all carbs. It is unhealthy not to have at least some carbs, not to mention, a persons energy level with out fuel for the furnace.

The one thing that I am noticing with Dr Tang is that so far I will be on my own with diet issues. I did some checking around and False Creek Clinic seems to have an outstanding program, however, it too is pricey, but apparently worth it.

The price is $15,100. Luckily my employee health plan is covering it.

As for OCC, I have heard a number of people talk about OCC and Dr Ortiz. How much is it to get the procedure done? What does this include? Where is it?

Thanks Again

Bear

Wow! You are the first person in BC (and I know hundreds) that I have ever heard has been able to get the lap-band surgery paid for by any health-care plan. That is outstanding!!! Who is your provider? You are SO lucky! As for starches, I can't eat many carbs (no bread or pasta) but crackers work and sometimes mashed potatos.

Sabrina:)

Hey Sabrina

Actually, I am in the Military, and the Military will now cover the cost of lapband surgery..... Hey if they will cover the cost of s sex change they had better cover the cost of me getting a better chance at becoming thinner and more healthy.... LOL

Hi Bear,

You are actually on the OCC website lab band forum...Obesity Control Center based in TJ, Mexico. I live in Victoria and if you want to email me regarding specifics about my experience I'd be happy to fill you in with the details.

cherylfaryon@live.ca

There are two woman on this board from Vancouver Island ( that I know about) who had the proceedure with Dr. Ortiz, one is from Shawnigan Lake and the other also from Victoria. We are all thrilled with the before and after care, not to mention the actual proceedure process and the cost. Almost half of what you will be charged!!!

Cheers.

Cheryl

Thanks for the info.

I guess you do not want to hear that I in less than a month I have seen Dr Tang for a consult, am seeing him again to get some more info and specifics and I have an OR date mid Jan 10. The reason that I am looking further into Dr Tang's rep is that I was able to get everything so quickly.....Why? Is because his is not good? During the consult he mentioned a couple of things that do not ring reasonable with me. For example, he told me that I would never be able to have food with starches again. Of course this includes all carbs. It is unhealthy not to have at least some carbs, not to mention, a persons energy level with out fuel for the furnace.

The one thing that I am noticing with Dr Tang is that so far I will be on my own with diet issues. I did some checking around and False Creek Clinic seems to have an outstanding program, however, it too is pricey, but apparently worth it.

The price is $15,100. Luckily my employee health plan is covering it.

As for OCC, I have heard a number of people talk about OCC and Dr Ortiz. How much is it to get the procedure done? What does this include? Where is it?

Thanks Again

Bear

Hi Bear...Yes, Dr. Tang advised that the wait time for a lapband was only three months..but that would have come out of my own pocket. (My extended health care benefits would have denied my claim.) It was the gastric bypass surgery ( with it's 1-3 year wait period) that used to be covered by B.C Med..but I have since learned that B.C Med no longer offers that poceedure coverage.