Damaged Port Problem

Hi, I'd be greatful for any opinion or advice on the problem my wife is having. Her band was fitted about 2 and a half years ago and all was going well for about a year. It took a while to adjust her eating but eventully the weight began to fall off. Eventually the rate of loss levelled off and she consulted with her surgeon who told her that if she wanted to continue losing she'd need to go for a fill. After the fill she struggled to eat much, she put up with it for about a month but she contacted the surgeon again and explained and he said maybe the fill was too much and she needed some fluid removed, so she had some removed and all was well again (with eating anyway) for about 6 months. She than began to be able to eat more and the weight started going on, and after examination it was found that the port had been punctured. The surgeon has suggested that she make arrangements for a repair operation which I agree she should have, but he's billed us for it for the full amount ( the same as when she had the band fitted). We queried this and were told that this was a precaution just incase the repair did'nt go well and that he'd fit a whole new band.

Could anyone tell us if this is normal practice and/or are we the people who should be footing the bill in the first place since the only person likely to have punctured the port tube was the surgeon himself?

Thanks

Mark

Hi, I'd be greatful for any opinion or advice on the problem my wife is having. Her band was fitted about 2 and a half years ago and all was going well for about a year. It took a while to adjust her eating but eventully the weight began to fall off. Eventually the rate of loss levelled off and she consulted with her surgeon who told her that if she wanted to continue losing she'd need to go for a fill. After the fill she struggled to eat much, she put up with it for about a month but she contacted the surgeon again and explained and he said maybe the fill was too much and she needed some fluid removed, so she had some removed and all was well again (with eating anyway) for about 6 months. She than began to be able to eat more and the weight started going on, and after examination it was found that the port had been punctured. The surgeon has suggested that she make arrangements for a repair operation which I agree she should have, but he's billed us for it for the full amount ( the same as when she had the band fitted). We queried this and were told that this was a precaution just incase the repair did'nt go well and that he'd fit a whole new band.

Could anyone tell us if this is normal practice and/or are we the people who should be footing the bill in the first place since the only person likely to have punctured the port tube was the surgeon himself?

Thanks

Mark

Wow..what a dilemma to find yourselves in!

Please keep us folks here on the forum advised as to what happens next.

Good luck!!!

Cheryl

We queried this and were told that this was a precaution just incase the repair did'nt go well and that he'd fit a whole new band.

Wow! I think I would at least ask for this in writing. I had a consult today to have my port moved to different location at the same time I have my gallbladder out. I think I'll call and ask how much the port repositioning will be before I actually schedule the surgery as the gallbladder should be covered by insurance. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions for you.

Thanks

Mark

Time to get a different surgeon.

The pricing is either greed or he doesn't want to do it

and hopes you will go away.

/mike/