Have I screwed up?

Have I screwed up?

I have not gotten my first fill yet, I go on the 30th of this month (Dec '09). However I feel no restriction of food and I am almost eating as much as I was before I got the band. I did over eat the other day, but just once. Didn’t get sick but feel stuffed and just too full. All other times I am eating until I am full. I was reading on other sites that some say that it is supposed to be ¼ to ½ of a cup of food before you get your fill. I had not been told this and so once I saw I wasn’t restricted I have just been eating normally waiting to get my fill. In addition, I totally screwed up and had soda at the movies. I am embarrassed that it didn’t register until the end of the movie when I was thinking about getting that free refill that I wasn't supposed to be drinking soda. I do not understand how I could totally forget that I couldn’t have it. I guess I am a bigger creature of habit then I realized. At any rate, I am reading about people who have stretched out their pouch and I am starting to get worried that I have already done that and I don’t even have my first fill yet. I am not feeling restriction whatsoever. Didn't really from day one of eating real food other than shrunken stomach. I have other friends who have had the band and they said that they didn't feel restricted until a few fills. I just assumed that I didn’t have to worry about stretching until my fill. Am I wrong in my thinking?

I am not sure if you have screwed up, but I will suggest that you get on track now that you are aware of your miss step. It is important that you take care of yourself and the band. Starting today, change your portion sizes. When I was first banded I kept my portion size to 1.5 cups of food. Sometimes I would want to eat more, but I had to focus on if I was still hungry. You don't have a fill, yet so you really don't have a pouch, but you do have a band.

Do not drink any carbination for a while. I think Dr. Ortiz says 6 months. Other than an occasional beer, I do not drink carbination at all. No sodas ect. This is a big lifestyle change that we are making. It is a challenge to change, but if I can do it, so can you!

I suggest you come here and get support. It is a transition that is often more difficult than what we expect;. I have found the ladies and gentlemen here to be very positive and super supportive. Hang in there, this is the time for change.

Thank you AngieB for responding. I so appreciate it. I just didn’t even realize that I could be messing up on portion size now because of no fill, especially since I have no restriction. I am actually so disgusted with myself for not realizing what I had done when I drank the soda. It honestly didn’t register until the end of the movie. I was just so happy to be at the movies after months of not going (I am an avid movie lover) that I was more focused on that. I am going to have to always be on guard now when it comes to putting any type of food or drink in my mouth. That is proving to be more of a challenge than I thought it would be. Apparently so much of my eating is out of habit and routine. I had no idea until now. Again thank you for your insight. I feel a little better about it.

Do you know if the fluoroscopy will show me or not if I have done any damage? I really have no idea what it is going to show.

Thank you AngieB for responding. I so appreciate it. I just didn't even realize that I could be messing up on portion size now because of no fill, especially since I have no restriction. I am actually so disgusted with myself for not realizing what I had done when I drank the soda. It honestly didn't register until the end of the movie. I was just so happy to be at the movies after months of not going (I am an avid movie lover) that I was more focused on that. I am going to have to always be on guard now when it comes to putting any type of food or drink in my mouth. That is proving to be more of a challenge than I thought it would be. Apparently so much of my eating is out of habit and routine. I had no idea until now. Again thank you for your insight. I feel a little better about it.

Do you know if the fluoroscopy will show me or not if I have done any damage? I really have no idea what it is going to show.

The band has taught me a lot about myself and my eating habits that I realized, but had no idea how "deep" it really was. Being aware of an "issue" is 1/2 the battle. Yes floro will be able to show any dialation or problems. Hang in there and do the very best you can.

Thank you AngieB for responding. I so appreciate it. I just didn’t even realize that I could be messing up on portion size now because of no fill, especially since I have no restriction. I am actually so disgusted with myself for not realizing what I had done when I drank the soda. It honestly didn’t register until the end of the movie. I was just so happy to be at the movies after months of not going (I am an avid movie lover) that I was more focused on that. I am going to have to always be on guard now when it comes to putting any type of food or drink in my mouth. That is proving to be more of a challenge than I thought it would be. Apparently so much of my eating is out of habit and routine. I had no idea until now. Again thank you for your insight. I feel a little better about it.

Unless you've been getting stuck or feeling otherwise sick you're probably fine. The people who slip their bands KNOW there's a problem. One woman felt things go wrong immediately after eating chicken while on liquids. Learn from your mistake and adjust your habits accordingly.

It's also common not to feel restriction until the first or even the second fill. Before your first fill your focus should be on healing. Once the fills kick in then restriction will happen and the band can do its job.

Thanks CLynn, I am actually feeling no restriction whatsoever. Nothing has ever felt that it was not going down like it was before I had the surgery. I am not sure what I was expecting. I was upset to find out when I phased into actual food that other than then the scars on my mid section and my slightly sore port area, I wouldn't even really know I had anything done. I was hoping I would be one of the lucky ones that wouldn't even need a fill....I hear rumors they are out there. LOL