Do Dog People Get More Exercise Than Gym People?

Forum Suggestion: a thread on general health/well being.

I completely agree with this.

As a dog walker, I spend the majority of my working time outside with dogs, moving moving moving ... my own dog is a doberman pinscher - standing around the dog park chatting isn't really his idea of a 'good time' - I"m extremely interactive at the park, keeping my buns moving not only for the dogs, but for my own health & well being!

A new British survey says there’s no doubt about it: People who have dogs and walk them regularly get more exercise than the average gym member.

According to the survey of 5,000 Britons, dog people walk their best friends twice a day for 24 minutes a pop, on average. And three times a week, the dogs’ walkies are quite a bit longer. That adds up to a whopping eight hours of exercise per week!

Those without dogs averaged 80 minutes a week at the gym, jogging, or walking. And nearly half of non-dog people get no exercise at all, the survey found.

“A couple of short walks a day soon adds up,” a survey official told the Daily Mail. “Owning a dog makes us more healthy.”

The best news is that people with dogs really enjoy taking their dogs out for exercise. Some 86 percent of survey takers like going out for dog walks. Compare that to a paltry 16 percent who say they enjoy going to the gym, which I must admit can get downright boring at times.

It’s obviously best if you don’t slog through your walkies unless you’re not able to comfortably go faster. Doctors advise picking up the pace for better cardiovascular health.

And FYI, standing around chatting at the dog park doesn’t count as exercise for anything except your mouth. We call this “taking your dog for a talk.” Of course, if you walk to get there, you are redeemed.

Source: Dogster, Dogblog.com

Forum Suggestion: a thread on general health/well being.

I completely agree with this.

As a dog walker, I spend the majority of my working time outside with dogs, moving moving moving ... my own dog is a doberman pinscher - standing around the dog park chatting isn't really his idea of a 'good time' - I"m extremely interactive at the park, keeping my buns moving not only for the dogs, but for my own health & well being!

Source: Dogster, Dogblog.com

I generally agree with you regarding the concept that most people prefer to have a brisk walk with their dog in the fresh outdoors rather than sweating it out indoors at a fitness center...Thus said, I attribute my 38 pound weight loss in the last 7 weeks to the combination of eating less of better foods choices, briskly walking my Boston Terriers for 45 minutes (2X's daily) AND pounding it out on the recumbent bike (20 minutes hard pedaling to Annie Lenox !! lol ) followed by 45 minutes of stationary weights at the fitness center.

This lapband for me has been the kickstart of a total lifestyle change. I was a professional athlete for 25 years and I Know what it feels like to be fit, healthy and strong. The weight I put on over the past 4 years was just a indicator for the depression I had been experiencing due to a divorce and the death of my Mother.

I feel back in control of my appetite, my energy and my sense of self. I honesty believe that the lapband gave me back my health. And boy..does that taste good!!! LOL

Cheers!!!

Cheryl