International vacation less than 2 months after surgery

I hope that I'm posting this in the right forum.

My wife, daughter, and I have a vacation to Italy which begins on March 11, 2010. My wife has always wanted to get banded (she's done the seminars and the rest of the requirements) but lately she's been lobbying to get her surgery performed before our trip. I'd rather wait till after our 2 week trip (early April time frame).

Here are my concerns:

There IS an opening for surgery on January 15, but that leaves less than 2 months (and exactly 8 weeks) for my wife to adjust to life with the lap band. Part of our trip has revolved around "exotic" dinners, wine tastings, etc, and I just don't see the logical reasoning for her pressing forward and getting the procedure done so hastily.

More importantly, if she was to develop any complications, that could mean more time on a liquid diet, and who wants to go to Italy like that?

***MOST*** importantly, if there was a REAL emergency so soon after surgery, but she was in another country, she could be in big trouble.

Now that you've heard from the worried (though I hope supportive) husband, what are the realistic expectations? I DO understand her reasoning for wanting to go to Italy at a healthier weight (she has said that she'll enjoy the pictures better), and of course Summer is coming up and she could get a jump start on her new Summer look, but is it worth the risk of possibly still living off of liquids while on a big European vacation?

I suppose that the diet is my biggest concern. I do expect her post-op health to be fine, and of course THAT IS PARAMOUNT (though I still say that she needs to fully heel here in the States and not across the pond). I'd just hate to see any complications arise, and have her NOT be able to eat A THING while over there. This trip was tailored around her, and I'd just hate to see her regret having the surgery so soon.

Besides, what's waiting 2.5 more months when it's a life time change?

Any thoughts?

Not sure I'd get it done before such a trip either. I would want to be able to enjoy everything while over there. I can see her point of wanting to be healthier--I think that's why we are all here, but to me it's not going to make that much difference.

What does the doctor say?

Not sure I'd get it done before such a trip either. I would want to be able to enjoy everything while over there. I can see her point of wanting to be healthier--I think that's why we are all here, but to me it's not going to make that much difference.

What does the doctor say?

Thanks for the quick reply. We're still waiting for the doc to return our call. I meant to post that part in the original post but forgot.

Don't worry guys, I'm not looking for validation or a scorecard to help make my case. This is not going to be used as ammo to make my case. I truely want to know if I'm being unreasonable. Are my concerns and worries over top?

Less than two months between gastric surgery and European vacation? Come on, now!!!

Thanks for the quick reply. We're still waiting for the doc to return our call. I meant to post that part in the original post but forgot.

Don't worry guys, I'm not looking for validation or a scorecard to help make my case. This is not going to be used as ammo to make my case. I truely want to know if I'm being unreasonable. Are my concerns and worries over top?

Less than two months between gastric surgery and European vacation? Come on, now!!!

I think you're probably right, although I really understand her anxiousness to get it done. I just had mine done last week and the 6 weeks of waiting was agony. Once you make up your mind, you just want to get to it. However, even if she did have the surgery now, she may not be down enough pounds to really make much of a difference, especially considering the downside of not being able to eat all the delicious Italian meals, etc.

So although I'm firmly on the fence, I'm leaning toward your side. :D

Well here is my two cents lol... I would get it done before the trip. I was back to normal 3 weeks after surgery (no more gas) I would not get a fill until after the trip so she can still enjoy all the great foods and such. This is about health, not just weight loss and my only wish was to have done it sooner. I could eat all I wanted even after my first fill. I would have done great on a vacation. 1 for the wife, he he

Well here is my two cents lol... I would get it done before the trip. I was back to normal 3 weeks after surgery (no more gas) I would not get a fill until after the trip so she can still enjoy all the great foods and such. This is about health, not just weight loss and my only wish was to have done it sooner. I could eat all I wanted even after my first fill. I would have done great on a vacation. 1 for the wife, he he

I'd have to agree with this post from Cottonwood, sounds like something I'd elect to do.

I would do it before the trip as well. She will be healed and ready to rock and roll. I had no issues eating anything before my fills began. Matter of fact, I didn't see good restriction till my 4th fill. Restriction that stayed that is. Your wife may or may not loose weight right away. There is no standard to the rule.

If it were me, I would have the surgery before I went. Then when I got back I could begin my fill adjustments. She will not miss out on any of the goodies on the trip. Not one bit!

Hope this helps!

Angie

Gosh, I'm not sure what I would do either. I also have not been banded yet. In fact, I just joined and scheduled my surgery a few days ago. I still have a lot of research I can focus on,and if were planning a trip to Italy I would probably wait til afterward. Of coarse, the other members that have been banded no more than I..lol

I can say this...My surgery is set for April 15th, and maybe she could go on the same day (if she decides to wait until after your trip). We could pass the time talking about your trip to Italy post op. :D

I would do it before the trip as well. Granted, I was still in the states, but I did a trip to CA 6 weeks after I was banded and everything was fine, I had even had a fill at this point. Although, if I were your wife I probably would not have a fill prior to the trip to Italy. If she has some weight to lose before her surgery, the trip to Italy could potentially set her back in the weight loss arena, I know it would me.