Protein Search

pinkfordyone

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you had any good ideas on how to get in so much protein. I am allergic to fish,(bummer), so that's out. I don't see a lot of you eating chicken, is there a reason? What about beef? I want to be prepared for the next stage - chewing! hehe I have noticed some of you doing protein shot's...any thoughts on that? Those little guys are kind of expensive, not sure I want to start that. Do you do them on occasion or all the time? Don't want to get in the habit of reaching for liquids.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you had any good ideas on how to get in so much protein. I am allergic to fish,(bummer), so that's out. I don't see a lot of you eating chicken, is there a reason? What about beef? I want to be prepared for the next stage - chewing! hehe I have noticed some of you doing protein shot's...any thoughts on that? Those little guys are kind of expensive, not sure I want to start that. Do you do them on occasion or all the time? Don't want to get in the habit of reaching for liquids.
Hey! I do take a protein shot from time to time. Nothing like daily or even weekly. I have gotten in the habit of drinking a shake in the morning, which I totally LOVE! I buy the EAS vanilla powder in the 6 lb bag at costco for like 20 sum bucks. Then I make my own....much cheaper. I do the vanilla because you can make a TON of creations with that as your base. 26 g of protein...pow! Right in the morning! My fav right now is 2 scoops of powder, 3 strawberries, a few blueberries, a few raspberries, and 1/2 a banana (I buy the frozen, always fresh and great to make a cold shake, oh and I freeze my bananas too. I wrap a 1/2 of a banana in foil. That way they are always fresh and not to soft....grr me does not likey nanas that are to soft! LOL) Sometimes I throw in some benefiber too....depends on...well you know....hee hee. The berries with seeds sorta stink, but for the most part the seeds sink to the bottom of the cup and I don't go to the ends of the earth to drink em down ya know. I also use the magic bullet to blend it up. Sometimes I add some ice cubes just a couple. THEN....I put it in the fridge and grab it when I hit the door running in the morning. Quick and easy baby! The reason I let it set is so the air works its self out. Oh and I don't use milk nope...water....the fruit adds cals and give me some much needed fruit...I don't feel like I get enough of it.

Other solid sorces of protein I do a lot of are..... Morning Star Farms Chipolte Black Bean Burger....yummo and they have a little kick to them. Awesome! Nutrition info

Grilled chicken strips - pre packed in a bag....I think they are like a pound per bag. Skinless, boneless already cooked....like the chicken you get on a salad. Know what I mean. Yummo super easy and freezable for freshness. I like them with *hmm pauses and thinks....should I tell her...* Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. That sauce is the bomb! Just as Carrie! LOL Be careful though....it's so good you can drink it.....seriously...LOL Eggs----blah...boring but still a staple and I put fresh salsa on mine. Emm good!

TURKEY BURGER!!! I LOVE THIS STUFF!! I eat a ton of turkey baby! I buy it ground and in the frozen patties. Okay so check this out. Frozen patty has like 35 g of protein and 200 cals! Sweet! I eat them with salsa or some dipping sauce, normally salsa. I don't eat much hamburger any more.....use to eat a ton of beef but have gotten away with it. Personal preferance. So I don't know what those stats are on it.

Meatballs turkey or beef. Yummo and super duper easy to eat...I have no idea how good they are for you but protein none the less....

Sloppy Joes! Yum and super easy to eat.... Those are some ideas of what I eat.....

Oh and I eat greek yogurt for breakfast ALOT!! The kind I have been buying lately is 100 cals and 10 g of protein. If you buy the plain flavor it is good to use as sour cream, or a dip base too. I prefer mine yogurt with fruit. It tastes better and gives me some FRUIT!

We focus so much on protein and when you get a good level of restriction you will find that fruits and veggies are eaten less and less. At least this is my experience. My portions now for veggies per meal if at all are like 1 TBSP.....I shit you not. Now that I do a shake in the mornings, I can eat more veggies and fruit, but if I am getting the 60/70 g of protein I need a day it makes it difficult to do veg and fruit unless you throw in a shake or bullet. (I think the bullets taste like a$$. Way to sweet and I am not a tropica punch person. They are doable because it is a shot....not a glass full.) Hope this helps! (HUGS)

• Like 1

Hi!

Tofu is an awesome and inexpensive protein rich food. I have a tofu burger several times/week...I purchase the firm or extra firm organic tofu, slice it in half (refridgerate the remaining for the next meal) and sautee' it in a teflon pan with some fresh rosemary. (or any herb or spice you prefer) To make it really special I might top if off by melting some low fat mozzerella or asiago cheese on top and adding a few roma tomato slices and or avocado. It's a veggie tofu burger and really yummy!!

High in protein, low in good fats and high in good cholesterol!!

Tofu is soybean curd and it's high in estrogen...so in the chance that you are on birth control pills or taking hormone replacement therapy you will want to limit your soy intake to only three time/week.

Tuna is another source of protein however due to it's high mercury content, Dr's here in Canada are recommending you eat it no more than twice/week....

:D

Hey! I do take a protein shot from time to time. Nothing like daily or even weekly. I have gotten in the habit of drinking a shake in the morning, which I totally LOVE! I buy the EAS vanilla powder in the 6 lb bag at costco for like 20 sum bucks. Then I make my own....much cheaper. I do the vanilla because you can make a TON of creations with that as your base. 26 g of protein...pow! Right in the morning! My fav right now is 2 scoops of powder, 3 strawberries, a few blueberries, a few raspberries, and 1/2 a banana (I buy the frozen, always fresh and great to make a cold shake, oh and I freeze my bananas too. I wrap a 1/2 of a banana in foil. That way they are always fresh and not to soft....grr me does not likey nanas that are to soft! LOL) Sometimes I throw in some benefiber too....depends on...well you know....hee hee. The berries with seeds sorta stink, but for the most part the seeds sink to the bottom of the cup and I don't go to the ends of the earth to drink em down ya know. I also use the magic bullet to blend it up. Sometimes I add some ice cubes just a couple. THEN....I put it in the fridge and grab it when I hit the door running in the morning. Quick and easy baby! The reason I let it set is so the air works its self out. Oh and I don't use milk nope...water....the fruit adds cals and give me some much needed fruit...I don't feel like I get enough of it.

Other solid sorces of protein I do a lot of are..... Morning Star Farms Chipolte Black Bean Burger....yummo and they have a little kick to them. Awesome! Nutrition info

Grilled chicken strips - pre packed in a bag....I think they are like a pound per bag. Skinless, boneless already cooked....like the chicken you get on a salad. Know what I mean. Yummo super easy and freezable for freshness. I like them with *hmm pauses and thinks....should I tell her...* Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. That sauce is the bomb! Just as Carrie! LOL Be careful though....it's so good you can drink it.....seriously...LOL Eggs----blah...boring but still a staple and I put fresh salsa on mine. Emm good!

TURKEY BURGER!!! I LOVE THIS STUFF!! I eat a ton of turkey baby! I buy it ground and in the frozen patties. Okay so check this out. Frozen patty has like 35 g of protein and 200 cals! Sweet! I eat them with salsa or some dipping sauce, normally salsa. I don't eat much hamburger any more.....use to eat a ton of beef but have gotten away with it. Personal preferance. So I don't know what those stats are on it.

Meatballs turkey or beef. Yummo and super duper easy to eat...I have no idea how good they are for you but protein none the less....

Sloppy Joes! Yum and super easy to eat.... Those are some ideas of what I eat.....

Oh and I eat greek yogurt for breakfast ALOT!! The kind I have been buying lately is 100 cals and 10 g of protein. If you buy the plain flavor it is good to use as sour cream, or a dip base too. I prefer mine yogurt with fruit. It tastes better and gives me some FRUIT!

We focus so much on protein and when you get a good level of restriction you will find that fruits and veggies are eaten less and less. At least this is my experience. My portions now for veggies per meal if at all are like 1 TBSP.....I shit you not. Now that I do a shake in the mornings, I can eat more veggies and fruit, but if I am getting the 60/70 g of protein I need a day it makes it difficult to do veg and fruit unless you throw in a shake or bullet. (I think the bullets taste like a$. Way to sweet and I am not a tropica punch person. They are doable because it is a shot....not a glass full.) Hope this helps! (HUGS)

Okay, Angie, I'm now officially starving!!!! lol I'm on Day 16 of the liquid phase and can't wait to eat!!! And I can see Amy is anticipating it as well! ;) Amy and I are banding buddies--we were down there at the same time. I think her surgery was about an hour before mine!

Anyway, thanks so much for these tips, along with making me SO ready to start chewing something, they also give me a good shopping list to start with.

Angie, girl you crack me up! It's nice to see your back to your great post, full of wit and charm. I am so with you and the soft nana's, did not know I could freeze them. Cool! Someone gave me a large container of Arbonne protein power, wasn't sure what to do with it until now...Smoothie's....Yummy! And thanks for the heads up on the seeds and bubbles, I wouldn't have even thought of that.

And NO, you should not have told me about "Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce"...sounds sooooooo good. I wonder...scatching head...is that considered a liquid....I could drink it....I am on liquids! Baaaahaahaaa!

Thanks for all the other tips, I feel like now I have some idea of what I can do and can do some smart shopping. I'm not much of a fruit person, so the smoothie's will be great for me!

I love eggs and turkey...sounds like that's a good thing.

1 TBSP of veggies, that's like 1/2 a baby carrot....WOW, that's it. Will have to keep an eye on that. (and I do mean an eye...don't need both eye's with just a 1 tbsp.) heheheh!

Thanks again, you are such a blessing!

CALF, thanks for the Tofu tip. I have never bought or eaten Tofu before. Wasn't sure what to look for or what to do with it once I got it. I will give it a try. Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the estrogen, I do take a compounded hormone cream, never knew that! Is soy milk the same way?

macleay, girlfriend, I'm with you....I am soooooo ready to chew, chew, chew.

Trying to get my ducks in a row....I wonder...can we have duck? hehehehe

Jill sorry to make your mouth water....I know how you feel cuz I was once there. Maybe this will give you a chuckle....I use to chew my shakes....yes....just so I felt like I was chewing something.....yeah...big dork...LOL

Okay, Angie, I'm now officially starving!!!! lol I'm on Day 16 of the liquid phase and can't wait to eat!!! And I can see Amy is anticipating it as well! wink.gif Amy and I are banding buddies--we were down there at the same time. I think her surgery was about an hour before mine!

Anyway, thanks so much for these tips, along with making me SO ready to start chewing something, they also give me a good shopping list to start with.

Amy - you know I would pull out all the secrets for you girly! Even the secret sauce....You crack me up! It is so good though sometimes I think I am having sweet baby rays with a side of chicken.... LOL Yeah, I am a nut but hey....makes life a bit more interesting. Ahh I love it. I love love your new avatar piccy....so creative....

Angie, girl you crack me up! It's nice to see your back to your great post, full of wit and charm. I am so with you and the soft nana's, did not know I could freeze them. Cool! Someone gave me a large container of Arbonne protein power, wasn't sure what to do with it until now...Smoothie's....Yummy! And thanks for the heads up on the seeds and bubbles, I wouldn't have even thought of that.

And NO, you should not have told me about "Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce"...sounds sooooooo good. I wonder...scatching head...is that considered a liquid....I could drink it....I am on liquids! Baaaahaahaaa!

Thanks for all the other tips, I feel like now I have some idea of what I can do and can do some smart shopping. I'm not much of a fruit person, so the smoothie's will be great for me!

I love eggs and turkey...sounds like that's a good thing.

1 TBSP of veggies, that's like 1/2 a baby carrot....WOW, that's it. Will have to keep an eye on that. (and I do mean an eye...don't need both eye's with just a 1 tbsp.) heheheh!

Thanks again, you are such a blessing!

CALF, thanks for the Tofu tip. I have never bought or eaten Tofu before. Wasn't sure what to look for or what to do with it once I got it. I will give it a try. Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the estrogen, I do take a compounded hormone cream, never knew that! Is soy milk the same way?

macleay, girlfriend, I'm with you....I am soooooo ready to chew, chew, chew.

Trying to get my ducks in a row....I wonder...can we have duck? hehehehe

Jill sorry to make your mouth water....I know how you feel cuz I was once there. Maybe this will give you a chuckle....I use to chew my shakes....yes....just so I felt like I was chewing something.....yeah...big dork...LOL

Baaaahaaahaaa! Girl, I think I'll try that!

Amy - you know I would pull out all the secrets for you girly! Even the secret sauce....You crack me up! It is so good though sometimes I think I am having sweet baby rays with a side of chicken.... LOL Yeah, I am a nut but hey....makes life a bit more interesting. Ahh I love it. I love love your new avatar piccy....so creative....

Ok, you now need to tell me where to get the secret drink....I mean sauce.

Life is way to short, not to have a good time and be a little silly. Thanks, for the comment on new pic. I was feeling a little sassy today!

Hugs & Kisses!

Tofu, roasted soy nuts, soy milk, soy butter, soy hotdogs, soy cheese, etc, etc...

All really high in desirable protein...low in fat....

A Good lapbanders food choice :rolleyes:

Tofu will take on the taste of whatever you cook it with so you are only limited by your imagination. Yummy in a stir fry..sauteed with garlic, onions topped with melted goat feta or mozzarella cheese makes a great tofu burger. Add tofu cubes instead of using meat to a pasta sauce..

All soy products contain estrogen in them. If you are on any sort of birth contol product that contains estrogens, or homone creams or replacement therapy that contains estorgen the Dr.'s in Canada recommend limiting your soy based food intake to twice-three times weekly.

:D

My secret is Aidells Chicken Meatballs, they are very moist and aren't rubbery out of the microwave like turkey meatballs can be. My favorite is teriyaki and pineapple. http://www.aidells.com/sausages/descriptions/details.cfm

They are 130 cal/ 11 grams protein for 3 meatballs, I can usually eat 4 and have room for a 1/2 cup of veggies. I can buy huge bags at Costco for $12, I don't know if they are available at all grocery stores.

Definitely consider making your own protein shots. I'd also recommend checking out the recipes at unjury.com. Another thing I've tried is using a high protein cream of broccoli soup as a gravy when my chicken or turkey looks a little dry. I got the soup mix on sale when I ordered my liquid vitamins at bariactricchoice.com

There is a blog called theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

that is written by a woman who had bypass. She has a lot of great high protein recipes and ideas for getting a lot of nutrition into small amounts of food.

Hope this helps.

Margie

Ok, you now need to tell me where to get the secret drink....I mean sauce.

Life is way to short, not to have a good time and be a little silly. Thanks, for the comment on new pic. I was feeling a little sassy today!

Hugs & Kisses!

I buy ours in BULK at Costco....LOL We do a lot of grilling in the summer....

I also buy a small bottle for the fridge at work..... at Walmart.

The label is mostly white.. if you try it let me know...

It's good!

Calf, thanks for all the tofu tips. I am definitely going to give it a try. What kind or brand do you like?

Margie, chicken meatballs sounds wonderful...my mouth is watering. I have the website's you suggested bookmarked and will check them out tom. Thank you!

Angie B, I will let you know if I find the "secret drink", I will be going to Wal-Mart in the next day or two. Keep you posted!

Thanks guys, I love everyone's feedback and it is much appreciated! ;)