Bruising

JaniceBlack

Question about Bruising......

I have noticed for a while...that I am bruising more often. I sent a message to my doctor to see if I might be missing something with my diet or what I can do about it.. Below is what he said. I am only 53 years old.. I didn't think I was OLD. :angry: I think I read on here that lack of protein will cause bruising. Can someone tell me if that is true? Please say I am to young to start bruise like my mom!!!!!

"Easy bruisablility is typically associated with loss of "filler" under the skin. True, it's a protein but this isn't due to a dietary protein deficiency it's just that the collagen (protein) "dissolves" over time. That's why we get skin wrinkles as we get older. When there's less "stuffing" or "filler" the blood vessels are less protected and more prone to bruising. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done for this it's part of the normal aging process".

potassium.

Easy bruising is often a sign that your body needs more potassium.

Try adding a banana into your daily diet, and see how it goes --- for me, I've had to had a banana, and it seemed to take care of the super-duper sensitive bruising I was getting from my dogs!

There are potassium meds & supp's, but I'd go with the 'real food' route before going that route.

• Like 1

potassium.

Easy bruising is often a sign that your body needs more potassium.

Try adding a banana into your daily diet, and see how it goes --- for me, I've had to had a banana, and it seemed to take care of the super-duper sensitive bruising I was getting from my dogs!

There are potassium meds & supp's, but I'd go with the 'real food' route before going that route.

:wub: Thank you Lindsay !

I bruise really bad too. Always did, but since the surgery they seem to take a long longer to go away.

Had my doc do a whole round of bloodwork and everything came back fine. She said as long as my bloodwork is all OK not to stress, but I really don't like all the bruises all over me. I know they checked my iron but not sure if potassium levels are one that is on the list. I hate bananas but can find other ways to get it in.