Not Losing

reneek

Hello -

I was banded on 10/9/06 at 257 pounds. The surgery went fine and I lost an initial 10 pounds from the 2 week liquid diet (very tough). After completing the 2 week liquid diet I went on soft foods and began gaining weight. I am up 5 pounds from that weight and I have been maintaining ever since.

Yesterday I had my 3rd fill and I am at 3 cc's in a 4 cc band. Prior to these fills it was very easy for me to eat and my portions did get smaller, but nowhere near the recommended size (deck of cards for protein and cup of vegtables). Since my fill yesterday I noticed that I have to be very careful eating and that there is A LOT of tightness in my chest when I eat. I think I am chewing well, but maybe I am eating too fast which I am going to change. If the pain persists I'm worried that I may need to take out some fluid and therefore my portions will be bigger which ISN'T working for me.

My question is... is anyone experiencing this? Not losing? Tighness when eating? What portion size for a person is NORMAL?

I think I'm doing everything correct, but the weight is just not coming off. I'm very discouraged and worried that I wasted all this money (not covered under insurance) for something that isn't going to work. HELP.... Any information would be helpful.

Thanks, Renee

Renee, don't be discouraged! You haven't even been banded for 2 months yet and believe me....I KNOW how you feel. I was banded on July 26th and I have yet to move the scale in the last 2 months. In fact, I even went up a pound or two. The lapband isn't magic. Boy how I wish it was! I too paid out of pocket and it felt like the biggest purchase I ever made other than buying a house. Sitting her 4 months later and not having a significant weight loss is really hard. Some people tell me it is because I had a low BMI to begin with. It's still frustrating.

People will tell you over and over that it is a "lifestyle" change having the band. I get it told to me often. :-) Hang in there and stay positive. Oh and drink lots and lots of water!!!!

Michele

Renee , mayI suggest when you sit down to eat look at the clock when you are done look at it again and see how long it took - It takes me anywhere from 2- 30 minutes to eat - I know this seems long but in order to eat correctly you need to be strict with yourself about chew chew chewing - if you eat in 5 minutes you will feel the tightnessin your chest - trust me been there done that learned a lesson - and I knew it when I did it to large of a bite wan;t thinking like the day I made myself to eggs and my daughter said she only wanted one me too and she in turn asked who the 3rd was for and I said laughing it was for me but you caught me (no really it was a natural thing to pull three eggs out but mybrain was thinking honestly I only wanted one) hope ths helps a little and wow you have already had 3 flls? I get mine tommorow flying to san diego and treking across the border wish me luck

Renee , mayI suggest when you sit down to eat look at the clock when you are done look at it again and see how long it took - It takes me anywhere from 2- 30 minutes to eat - I know this seems long but in order to eat correctly you need to be strict with yourself about chew chew chewing - if you eat in 5 minutes you will feel the tightnessin your chest - trust me been there done that learned a lesson - and I knew it when I did it to large of a bite wan;t thinking like the day I made myself to eggs and my daughter said she only wanted one me too and she in turn asked who the 3rd was for and I said laughing it was for me but you caught me (no really it was a natural thing to pull three eggs out but mybrain was thinking honestly I only wanted one) hope ths helps a little and wow you have already had 3 flls? I get mine tommorow flying to san diego and treking across the border wish me luck

Hi Cindy!! I emailed you back, not sure if you got it (the nite we were on line the same time), anywho, GOOD LUCK with your new fill. Let me know how it is. Were behind you in another 2 weeks. (Dec 16) then one week later flying to MI for the Holidays for a couple of weeks. When things slow down a bit, we need to hook up. :blink: Hi to Daren. Teri

Thanks Everyone for the clarification on a few things. I have realized that some of my tightness from eating may be the size of the bite that I was taking (old habits die hard). Although I was chewing it very well I think it was a lot to pile on my stoma at once.

I have also determined that it does take me about 30 minutes to eat a meal and I do feel full after that.

I'll hang in there, but I'm hoping my weight goes down. I hate the thought of having to go on diet food to take this weight off, even WITH the lapband. That would be so unfair since I read in Sharon Osborn's book that she lost her 125 pounds from eating all junk food (fries, pasta, etc.).

Thanks ladies~! Renee

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Cindy!! I emailed you back, not sure if you got it (the nite we were on line the same time), anywho, GOOD LUCK with your new fill. Let me know how it is. Were behind you in another 2 weeks. (Dec 16) then one week later flying to MI for the Holidays for a couple of weeks. When things slow down a bit, we need to hook up. :blink: Hi to Daren. Teri

Teri,

Where in Michigan are you going? I am in Traverse City.

Merideth

Teri,

Where in Michigan are you going? I am in Traverse City.

Merideth

It's between Detroit and Ann Arbor, (Commerce Twp., Novi, Livonia area). Have been to Traverse City a few times! They have great fresh smoked fish! I was never a fish eater until I had some of that smoked Salmon, Whitefish, etc., although, have always loved King Crab, Lobster and Shrimp. :) Teri