A guy with some observations

I'm what you'd call a 'lurker' on the web....I read the boards often but don't contribute much. Anyway, I was banded 2/19. I lost 20 pounds so far. I am trying to stick to liquids except for the evenings. I run/walk 4.5 miles 4 days a week. I drink a bottle of wine every night (my only vice, lol, please don't try and stop me).

I have not had a fill yet. My loss so far is due to my will power. I only had a few issues where I was stupid and ate string cheese sticks, and they caused me to get 'stuck'. Holy shi%, that hurt!

I have noticed here that some people religiously track what they eat, but not their activities. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most people do not have a thyroid or metabolic disorder. That being said, if u are not losing weight and u r counting calories, then I suspect u r not active enough.

I read somewhere that obese people trying to lose weight often expend more calories then the skinny people. Why still obese?because their appetites increased also. On the flip side, your mind will trick u into being more sedentary as u consume less. If u r walking 30 minutes and vegging out on facebook all day, your 1200 calorie diet ain't gona cut it.

Anyway, apologies to anyone offended by this. I have my own issues too.

I have to remind my wife not to follow my diet. I also have an overweight teen, not living with me, whom I don't know how to help with his weight. I am now eating healthy around him, which is only 2 days with me every other month. I don't wanna BS him and lie saying my weight loss is due solely to dieting. On the other hand, I really don't wanna share my banding with him because he will think that is the more 'convenient' fix over a healthy lifestyle.

Ok, enough rambling. Good luck to all.

• Like 1

*waves at Steve the lurker who got banded same day as she did*

Steve, you were a lurker at the surgery center too! That is, until you skipped out early!

Hi kim! Sounds like your doing ok after reading some of your posts. I lurk a lot, lol. I read emails and blogs, but don't say much. My mom hates it. I'm a classic nerd....I'm the guy who could design an email program like Outlook but I would never take the time to respond to my emails. Enjoying white wine now:)

Well said Steve!! My metabolism and thyroid have tested "normal" more then three times. As far as aactivity ... 30 minutes per day is my max. Why? I find that when I workout for more then that I get extremely hungry and cannot control my appitite. Excercise makes me hungry what can I say? I try to work out close to bed time for the same reason as well. It is 10:30 my time now and I am jumping on the elliptical in 30 minutes.

I have been running on will power for 4 months & 3 fills...welcome to my world.

Hang in their bogie! U need to make a hard choice....do more or eat less. If u r leaning on the band as your gaurdian angel, then you would need to sleep 24/7. Do an honest and accurate assessment of the calories u expend daily and compare them to your daily calories consumed. Get someone else to record these values for u if necessary. Even if u r burning more calories then u r consuming, your weight loss will be very slow if u r only burning 200 more calories a day then u r consuming.

Wish u the best!

Have to agree with Steve. When I was in the weight loss portion of my journey I walked almost 8 miles every day. Along the way I did push-ups on the backs of park benches and dips on the benches as well. I used a pedometer to make sure I got in at least 10,000 steps EVERYDAY! for most people this is the equivalent of about 5 miles a day and it is what is recommended for weightloss.

I'm what you'd call a 'lurker' on the web....I read the boards often but don't contribute much. Anyway, I was banded 2/19. I lost 20 pounds so far. I am trying to stick to liquids except for the evenings. I run/walk 4.5 miles 4 days a week. I drink a bottle of wine every night (my only vice, lol, please don't try and stop me).

I have not had a fill yet. My loss so far is due to my will power. I only had a few issues where I was stupid and ate string cheese sticks, and they caused me to get 'stuck'. Holy shi%, that hurt!

I have noticed here that some people religiously track what they eat, but not their activities. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most people do not have a thyroid or metabolic disorder. That being said, if u are not losing weight and u r counting calories, then I suspect u r not active enough.

I read somewhere that obese people trying to lose weight often expend more calories then the skinny people. Why still obese?because their appetites increased also. On the flip side, your mind will trick u into being more sedentary as u consume less. If u r walking 30 minutes and vegging out on facebook all day, your 1200 calorie diet ain't gona cut it.

Anyway, apologies to anyone offended by this. I have my own issues too.

I have to remind my wife not to follow my diet. I also have an overweight teen, not living with me, whom I don't know how to help with his weight. I am now eating healthy around him, which is only 2 days with me every other month. I don't wanna BS him and lie saying my weight loss is due solely to dieting. On the other hand, I really don't wanna share my banding with him because he will think that is the more 'convenient' fix over a healthy lifestyle.

Ok, enough rambling. Good luck to all.

:D VERY VERY GOOD !!!!!!