Newbie discouraged but not disuaded

Hi all. I've been lurking on this site for quite some time, finally decided to sign up since my surgery is uhh two days away! April 2. I'm catching my flight to San Diego tomorrow.

Anyway...

Ive been seeing my primary care physician for the last 18 years. He's watched me grow up, and for the last ten years, struggle with my weight. We've talked about it so many times, and there's always been some new diet for me to try. I decided to have this procedure a while ago but hadn't told him til now, 48 hours before the procedure is scheduled.

He’s the “old school” sort of doctor, I was sure he wouldn’t like the idea of me having the surgery, especially in Mexico.

Well, I was right. I just got off the phone with him. He’s “less than enthusiastic.” He asked me about my aftercare and I explained I had already arranged with my surgeon a fill doctor within 40 minutes of my home. He said he might prefer me to have “gastric dissection” but didn’t say which procedure. When I explained to him I was worried about complications/risks assoc. with those more aggressive surgeries, he admitted he wasn’t all that familiar with it. He told me, “God gave you a big body, you’re not morbidly obese, you’re just big. You’ve got a big father and that’s just it.” I told him, actually, according to my BMI, im just on the line of morbidly obese. I’m right there. I told him I didn’t want to wait around for my weight to cause diabetes joint problems shortness of breath or any of those things. Besides, I don’t think God decided, “Lets make Dama fat.” I think its just crappy genetics.

Anyway, Doc agreed to do some research and attend a conference/dinner he was invited to about bariatrics. I told him I have the desire and commitment to lose weight, but can never get my appetite under control and this is going to be the tool to help me.

Anyway, Im two days out and nervous/excited/aaaah!

Just needed to vent. Thanks!

It sounds like you have a caring doctor and I'm certain once he learns more about the procedure, he will be in your corner! I'm glad you found after care closeto home. That's what I recommend everyone does before going to Mexico. There is no reason to go there for all your fills. Best of luck. The surgery is a breeze.

Sabrina:)

You are really blessed to have such a great doctor and to share in such a wonderful relationship with him where you both can learn from eachother. I am very envious of that. Those kinds of relationships only come around a few times in a lifetime if you are lucky.

Hi all. I've been lurking on this site for quite some time, finally decided to sign up since my surgery is uhh two days away! April 2. I'm catching my flight to San Diego tomorrow.

Anyway...

Ive been seeing my primary care physician for the last 18 years. He's watched me grow up, and for the last ten years, struggle with my weight. We've talked about it so many times, and there's always been some new diet for me to try. I decided to have this procedure a while ago but hadn't told him til now, 48 hours before the procedure is scheduled.

He’s the “old school” sort of doctor, I was sure he wouldn’t like the idea of me having the surgery, especially in Mexico.

Well, I was right. I just got off the phone with him. He’s “less than enthusiastic.” He asked me about my aftercare and I explained I had already arranged with my surgeon a fill doctor within 40 minutes of my home. He said he might prefer me to have “gastric dissection” but didn’t say which procedure. When I explained to him I was worried about complications/risks assoc. with those more aggressive surgeries, he admitted he wasn’t all that familiar with it. He told me, “God gave you a big body, you’re not morbidly obese, you’re just big. You’ve got a big father and that’s just it.” I told him, actually, according to my BMI, im just on the line of morbidly obese. I’m right there. I told him I didn’t want to wait around for my weight to cause diabetes joint problems shortness of breath or any of those things. Besides, I don’t think God decided, “Lets make Dama fat.” I think its just crappy genetics.

Anyway, Doc agreed to do some research and attend a conference/dinner he was invited to about bariatrics. I told him I have the desire and commitment to lose weight, but can never get my appetite under control and this is going to be the tool to help me.

Anyway, Im two days out and nervous/excited/aaaah!

Just needed to vent. Thanks!

Good for you!!

You're not only making informed decisions and taking control of your own life and actions..you are doing it in the face of adversity and that takes HUGE COURAGE!!

And you are SO right with regards to this being a turning point in your life towards better and improved health benefits!

It really will affect almost every aspect of your life in a positive way!!

You will find many friends on this site..folks like yourself that had a less-than- enthusiastic 'support' team. I am fortunate in that I have a general paractioner that applauded my decision and a husband who is my biggest cheerleader. Several of my friends do know that I had the surgery and are thrilled for me. There are others..including most of my family ...that I could never tell. I accept the fact that there are some folks who will not accept something they don't/can't understand.

Anyway...have a great time in Mexico..are you going with a friend? If so & you are feeling up to it, you might want to check out Revolution Ave...There are some fun little shops there to pick up some touristy stuff and the storekeepers are friendly and quite the entertainers! One of them had an aquarium that had the most amazing little Asian turtle that I would have loved to have adopted it and taken him home! (the turtle, not the storekeeper...lol)

Please keep us updated on your experience and always know that your fellow lapbanders are here to help share the journey !

:D

Good luck to you on this awesome adventure! It truly will change your life. As others have indicated, you have many people here that will support you along this journey. I, like many others, don't have much support so this is awesome. It is a piece of cake surgery and I'm certain you won't regret it.

Thanks for all your encouraging words. I did feel discouraged after my phonecall with Doc but thanks to y'all I see now he just cares about me and wants the highest quality care for me. Im really excited now!

I've told my three best girlfriends, my mother, my sister, and her husband. Thats it. Dad and bro are critical of everything, so they remain out of the loop. My sister is coming to TJ with me. Im flying in tomorrow afternoon, surgery on Friday, and flying home Sunday. Im young and other than the weight, healthy, so I don't expect surgery to go too poorly.

Thank you all for your help and support!!!

Yeah ... my boyfriend (who went with me to TJ) was less than encouraging.

When he saw the clinic, though, he had a very different opinion of the process.

He was very confident I'd be fine, and really enjoyed his visit, which is kinda funny. ;)

My bestfriend, who's a critical care nurse, was NOT happy to hear I was going to TJ for surgery!

She was very hesitant, as she'd heard a million nightmare stories regarding International surgeries ....

But now, she's a little more open minded. :)

Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut.

And not let what other people sway you ..

Good luck tomorrow!!!!! You are making an excellent decision - can't wait to hear how it goes!!!!!

I trusted my gut on who to tell - some folks mean well but I know they won't be supportive. Others I knew would be once they saw results so I told them later on and of course some knew from the beginning. Some had a lot of ??'s but were always supportive. My dad took a lot more work but came around in the end and is sooo happy for me now.

Let us know once you are done how it went!!!!