Medication

DwayneH

My wife was at the dentist today and overheard a lady talking to the receptionist. She had an artificial hip or knee or something and had to take a weeks worth of medication before going to the dentist. Aparently they said that anything put into your body like that if you don't take the medication there is some bacteria or something that can make your body try and reject what was implanted or put in your body. My wife was concerned about this as i am getting banded on June 28th. Has anybody heard about this or know anything about it??

My wife was at the dentist today and overheard a lady talking to the receptionist. She had an artificial hip or knee or something and had to take a weeks worth of medication before going to the dentist. Aparently they said that anything put into your body like that if you don't take the medication there is some bacteria or something that can make your body try and reject what was implanted or put in your body. My wife was concerned about this as i am getting banded on June 28th. Has anybody heard about this or know anything about it??

Hi,

I have heard that people who have health issues like heart problems, artificial hip/knees should. I think you should call OCC and speak to one of the on call doctors and your own doctor. You have plenty of time if they advise you to take something. I wish you the best on your new adventure being banded!! I do not regret one minute of being banded :wub: This is a tool to lose the weight....enjoy.

A HIP OR KNEE REPLACEMENT IS A MUCH MORE INVASIVE PROCEDURE THAN HAVING THE LAP BAND PUT IN YOU. THE HIP/KNEE REPLACEMENTS REQUIRE THE MD TO CUT THE BONE AND SQUREW IN A PLATE TO ONE SIDE OF THE BONE...VERY INVASIVE...THE LAPBAND IS A CLOSED OR LAPORASCOPIC SURGERY, (5 TINY HOLES VS A VERY LARGE OPEN INCISION WITH A HIP/KNEE). YOU DO GET ANTIBIOTICS PRE BAND...THIS IS TO KEEP ANY INFECTION THAT YOU MIGHT GET AT A MINIMUM...I ASKED MORE THAN ONE PERSON CONNECTED TO THE OCC WHAT THE INFECTION RATE WAS, AND I BELIEVE IT WA LESS THAN 1%...BETTER THAN US HOSPITALS...

THERE IS A RISK WITH ANY SURGICAL PROCEEDURE THAT IS DONE, SOME MORE AND SOME LESS...I THINK THE OCC HAS DONE A VERY GOOD JOB AT KEEPING SURGICAL INFECTION TO ALMOST NONE...

I HAVE NOT READ IN THE LAST 2 YEARS ON THIS SITE OF ANYONE HAVING A POST OP INFECTION...

KIM :wub:

I am not worried about an infection at the OCC. After the lap band is put in i have been told that when i go to the Dentist i might need to take medication before hand as there is bacteria that can get in your blood stream and cause your body to want to reject the lap band as a foreign object.