Nervous About Needles!

My insurance covers the precedure, and I really want it but im a big chicken.

Im afaid its gonna hurt when they put the needle in for fills. Im good with

the anesthesia part, but needles in other places than my arm kinda freaks me

out. Someone please tell me about your experience :unsure:

out. Someone please tell me about your experience unsure.gif

I was SO scared my first fill. I was nervous, HATE needles but let me tell you, I was ashamed, do you hear me ..LOL. I had WORKED myself all up and was worried for nothing. I remeber thinking ...are you serious ....that is it!!...Girl trust me, it is NOT bad!

Carrie

I would really suggest returning to OCC for your fills - Dr So is the best! I hear all kinds of stories about people getting port leaks from blind fills, or over/under fill problems from not using flouro - but I had my first fill a couple of weeks ago at OCC and it was so easy! I'm a wimp about pain and was concerned about the needle thing but it was a breeze. Don't let your worry keep you from getting banded, you won't regret it!@

It's truly not a big deal, especially with Dr. So. There aren't a lot of nerve endings where your port will be (less than your arms, for sure). You'll probably be more fascinated with seeing your band on x-ray than thinking about the needle (well, maybe not!). It's not painful.

I would really suggest returning to OCC for your fills - Dr So is the best! I hear all kinds of stories about people getting port leaks from blind fills, or over/under fill problems from not using flouro - but I had my first fill a couple of weeks ago at OCC and it was so easy! I'm a wimp about pain and was concerned about the needle thing but it was a breeze. Don't let your worry keep you from getting banded, you won't regret it!@

Did you stay overnight when you had your first fill? I am due to go back to the OCC on June 2nd and was planning on spending the night. Just curious if you did. Did you feel the restriction? I am at about 3 1/2 weeks post op and its been a little tough since I don't feel restriction. I tend to beat myself up (mentally) about anything that I don't consider the perfect choice for eating. Too many years of failing at diets I guess.

Debbie

out. Someone please tell me about your experience unsure.gif

Hey there. I am a rare gal I suppose. I don't have a fear of needles. I will say that the needle is long. So be prepaired for that. The tummy is a good place to get a stick. I've not had one that has hurt for a fill. Even had a time where the gal doing the fill went through 2 needles! Ha! Bent the suckers right up. She kept hitting the plastic edge on the port. You will feel the pressure of the needle going into the port. Sorta weird, but kinda cool too. It is a really neat experience.

I suggest you let the doctor know you are freaked out over needles. Don't watch if they make you squirm. Keep your eyes on the screen and watch the coolness of the fill under floro. You will not be thinking of the needle once you see the screen. It is pretty neat.

As soon as you get a fill under your belt, you will know what you are feeling nervous about. Knowing takes the fear away. To me a needle stick is a small price to pay for helping me fight against obesity. Hang in there hun, it is not nearly as bad as your head thinks it will be!

((HUGS))

Angie

Did you stay overnight when you had your first fill? I am due to go back to the OCC on June 2nd and was planning on spending the night. Just curious if you did. Did you feel the restriction? I am at about 3 1/2 weeks post op and its been a little tough since I don't feel restriction. I tend to beat myself up (mentally) about anything that I don't consider the perfect choice for eating. Too many years of failing at diets I guess.

Debbie

Yes, I fly in from eastern North Carolina so it's a long trip for me, I actually made a long weekend out of it- fly in Friday, stay in San Diego, take the trolley/taxi to OCC for a Saturday AM fill, and then spend the rest of the weekend doing the tourist thing so if there is any problem I can get back to OCC to have it taken care of before taking a noon flight home Monday. I found the trolley and taxi to be very easy to do, so many people from home were getting freaked out about me walking across the border but it's perfectly safe. OCC will call a taxi when you're done to take you back to the border. Read the post on how to do it, so easy! I prefer staying in San Diego so I can play tourist.

I'm one of the unlucky ones who felt about no restriction after surgery, I could eat just about anything and seemed like as much as I want, too as long as I take small bites and chew thoroughly. I got 3cc on my first fill and I feel a little restriction but not much, Dr So did say to expect to get another fill a couple of months after the first since I'm not the sensitive type :-) But I am losing weight by watching my diet and exercising - the band is helping me to stick to a diet, not so hungry as I used to be. I'm looking forward to finding that 'sweet spot' everyone talks about but so far no luck!

ok... i was terrified of needles too!! actually the fills is what helped me with my fear...it was so silly of me to be scared and i just went ahead and did it because my determination to get healthy was greater than my fear. so after the first one i realized..IT DOESN'T HURT!! don't think about it soo much... i usually get a laugh attack because there i am with a needle in my tummy and it doesnt hurt a bit... i think it's hilarious.

I am going for my first fill and am so confident in the staff at OCC after the surgery that I am planning on zooming in, getting a fill, then zipping back to SD for a flight to Vegas. :) I figure if anything can take my mind off a fill and a long needle it will be some gambling and (non-food or alcohol) debauchery. :)

in the spirit of full disclosure...

I am not afraid of needles and never experience more than a pin-prick type sensation, but for my first fill (DrSo@OCC) I will say it was definitely MORE than a pin-prick. It did hurt, but not enough for me to say something or to regret/rethink having fills in the future. Maybe since I had my fill less than six weeks after surgery, the muscle around my port was still sensitive. I bet if I had waited 8 or more weeks it wouldnt have hurt. Dunno.

Despite that, the pain was gone quickly and it didnt even bleed. I didnt feel sore the next day, nothing. If you are considering getting banded, its nothing to change your mind over, trust me.

Besides if you have fills at occ, as others have said, Im positive they will be more than willing to do what they can to make it a more comfortable/less stressful experience.

Hi,

I had my first fill a week ago and it went fine..didn't feel a thing at all and got to watch the liquid flow..and then flow slower...I felt so much better after that first time..you don't even know it's being done.