Love Family BBQ But dislike them at the same time

When ever theres a hoilday my family always gets togethere for a BBQ and Swim party and we have lots of food I make

sure there is things for me to eat but then I pick the wrong things I just can't stop myself. Then after I think why do I keep doing this I love my family but hate all the food

Anyone else have this problem?

When I was first banded I would never eat something Im not to have or that had way to much fat in it but lately i will say oh its just a little bit

we just had our family bbq too and it was like a marathon of will power :)

i dont know about you, but I don't do so well with moderation. Band or not. I can just graze forever. So i figure out what are going to be my best choices and just eat THAT and that alone, I cant do the "just one bite" stuff its a recipe for disaster.. one always turns into two, three, more. i still dont really have much restriction, so i am on a low-carb eating plan, so i had plenty of steak and grilled shrimp and stuffed peppers. did allow myself one bite of mac and cheese, but no cake. i managed to do ok, i think, but my eating plan is different from yours, im guessing.

i think you have to dig deep and try to bring back that resolve you had in the earlier days to only eat good things. granted, at your average american bbq there wont be too many healthy options, so bring somethign to throw on the grill! asparagus or zucchini. my brother cuts the top off of bell peppers, scrapes out seeds/membranes, adds pepper jack cheese, and pins the top back on with a toothpick. he then grills it whole and cuts it into chunks for us to snack on - its a real treat without being anything too bad like potato salad, mac n cheese, etc.

try that for your next family bbq - 4th of july, or whenever. or bring some sausages that are healthy alternatives, chicken sausages or something.

Hello,

Yesterday was a BBQ open house in honor of my daughter's college graduation. In the past parties of any type were a reason for severe anxiety and dread for me. One of the reasons I got the band was so that I could eat and function normally and not "worry" about good/bad/diet food.

I went in yesterday with this mindset..but, I did eat a healthy meal before all the guest's arrived. I have to tell you that this was the easiest event yet. I only ate what I really wanted, did not eat to the point of illness, and I did not eat anywhere near the amounts of food I used to in the past. I am so thankful for my band and my new outlook on food. I really enjoyed myself at the event and I was not stressing over food. Maybe some form of this plan would be helpful for you. Tell yourself your going to have a good time and that food in not the main reason your going, have a plan, don't put anything off limits, and eat a healthy meal earlier in the day.

Good Luck!

H ello ladies..My band will only "let"me eat so much...If I eat to much I barf...For me its not a point of will power, its more I don't want to PB or barf....Plus, I just can't eat in the AM/Noon time. Are you don't experiencing restriction? I can eat anything I want..I know certain things go down better. So I eat more of those foods. Will power is no longer involved. I hope you find your happy spot!

Kim :wub:

We have grilled the last three nights, but luckily my family for the most part likes healthy stuff. We had meat and salad and veggies and stuff each night so it wasn't too bad. My issue right now is I have a sinus infection I can't seem to knock so (TMI...sorry) but with the drainage it keeps making me get sick. Haven't been able to keep stuff down lately.

I understand how hard holidays can be though. In the summer we do well, but at the holidays like Xmas and Thanksgiving it is really hard! I just have to go in the other room and not stand by the food or I will graze all day. I keep busy mingling away from the food and try to forget it is there.

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!

For me, part of my goal with having the band was to still be "normal". By that I mean that I fully participate in family BBQ's and such. I just carefully pick only those things that I know I will like and I only put a one or two bite portion on my plate. We know we eat for nourishment, but on those days I am seriously eating for the taste of things and one or two bites will give me that taste. I typically limit myself to a cup portion, but at the same time I have been known to eat those slider foods first just because I don't want to cause any damage to my band. Doing this at a maximum of 10 meals a year is acceptable in my book considering I eat over 1,000 meals a year. I am on a life long journey with this band and a few meals a year is not going to set me back so much that I will not succeed.

Thank you smiley thats is how i feel but sometimes after it over the I start questing myself But your right its a life long band not just a short time and I would never give up having BBQ with the family

thanks again