post op as of june 25

Ok so I was banded 6-25 not sure if feeling normal. Not pain I feel just pressure and weird feelings internally almost that I can't describe? And is it normal to get that "full burp?" Already? With broth or fruit iceys I get the burp n I know not to stop! And I'm nervous to take my capsule medicine sooo scared it will get stuck!

I don't know about the pills question, but the other stuff sounds like gas. I had it (hell, we all had it!) and it will go away over time for the most part. Gas-x strips are your friends right now. I suggest getting some asap if you haven't already. :-) Also, walk walk walk.

I took my meds starting the day after surgery and have had no problems whatsoever. When I was sick and on an antibiotic, I broke it in half because it was a horse pill, and I have switched to smaller pills and chewable vitamins when possible But I still take other pills - like prilosec (a capsule).

Hi,

ditto on the gas comments...but the med's I can understand. I have to take heart meds (have for 25 years), and they are big horse pills..I have bought a pill splitter and use it, but only needed to after my second fill. The capsules I initially opened and added to water or juice, and I take liquid/powder vitamins mixed in water..funny I didn't even think about the pills until after the fact. I could also ask my MD for smaller pills and take double but for now I am OK..

I was banded on June 25, 2010 as well. All I can say is, "DAMN, I am hungry!" Ten more days and I will have real food. I think I am getting about 500 calories a day. I just am not interested in the broth. I drink juices, broth, and low calorie drinks.

Any suggestions?

Paul

Hi Paul. Are you on full liquids yet? Should be, I think. Protein drinks helped a lot in the morning - get creative - I would go to Starbucks and order a double espresso over ice in a grande cup. Then I'd pour my chocolate protein drink in there (i like atkins dark chocolate royale) and there ya go - a more-filling-than-a-mocha mocha. Have em add a pump of syrup in there too, turn it into a cherry mocha, peppermint mocha, cinnamon mocha, etc...

As far as soups, most stuff out there isnt going to be very filling and will have tons of sodium, so try making your own. Milk/cream boost protein levels, you can try pureeing silken tofu into a soup to bulk up protein too. Cruise the recipe board; a lot of those recipes are targeted for post-op, as thats when we start to wonder what the hell we can drink that feels like a meal. If you arent much of a cook, you may as well start now.. Cooking meals from whole, fresh ingredients is going to be a key to success with WL. Plus its just good for ya ;)

Also - i hated the drinkable yogurts I found in stores, too sweet, lame flavors, etc.. so I would buy my favorite yogurt (honey greek yogurt from trader joes) and thin it out with skim milk so it was about hte consistency of the packaged drinkables.

good luck. you're halfway done!

Thank you for your support. I, unfortunately, was a great cook/baker in the past. My dark choc rasp cheesecake has curled many women's toes. smile.gif I just haven't had the mood to get out and do any cooking. I will take your advice. Today, I picked up a chocolate milk and feel satiated now. However, there were many nights I went to bed and my stomach was growling. I need to take better care. We have several Trader Joes' here in Phoenix. I will take a trip over there tomorrow.

BTW: just dropped 2 sizes. I am down to a 50. Looking forward to the 40s.

Paul

hahaha. cooking gets a little depressing when you have to make it healthy, doesnt it? im a cook and baker too and you gotta believe it made me depressed too. the things i made just werent as creamy, rich, unctuous, delicious as before (with good reason of course!). it was a big bummer for me. made me feel like a sucky cook. eventually i got past it bc what are the alternatives? eating out? unhealthy and expensive. eating frozen/processed food? too much sodium, not yummy enough, boring. as for baking, the only baking i do these days is crustless quiche for breakfast and flax foccacia. I dont even think about making my pastries, cupcakes, cheesecakes anymore. fuhgeddaboutit. ill make them for ppl if they ask me to, but i wont partake. i tell people im watching my sugar (and my waistline).

and after a while, you get competent at being a healthy cook too. pm if u ever want ideas or recipes or whatever

oh, and yes, i did kill em with my white chocolate hazelnut cheesecake, mexican chocolate cheesecake, and pumpkin cheesecake, but that was another lifetime.. besides boys seemed to prefer when i made cupcakes, the girliest-looking of desserts. go figure!

oh one more thing, since you're headed to TJs, i liked their cuban black bean soup, warmed up in a mug with a sprinkling of parm and a dollop of sour cream or even plain yogurt, dash of hot sauce, delicious and pretty filling dinner. the soup is boxed not canned. i hear good things about the roasted red pepper one too but havent tried it.

Sounds delicous. I have to go put my attendence in for my class and work out today. I will pick some of the soup up today :) Will be a great change from what I have been eating.

Thanks.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...