Relying too much on "restriction"

I hope this doesn't come across as inappropriate or anything, but I just had to make a point about something I see on this board all the time. It seems to me that too many people are looking for some mysterious "perfect restriction" to help them lose the weight they need to lose. I can't count the number of posts that I have read about people gaining some weight and then lamenting that their restriction isn't good enough. Forgive me for being blunt, but that seems like an excuse.

Everyone of us that had surgery at OCC was told by Dr. Ortiz that the lap band is merely a tool and that we have to do our part too. When I read these posts saying that someone's restriction isn't perfect and that is why they are gaining I feel like they aren't taking the other half of this process seriously. Also, I think it can send the wrong message to people that are considering the lap band option that it only works when there is "perfect restriction."

Yes, the band helps by restricting our food intake and yes, the closer you get to an "ideal" level the better. However, we can not expect the band to do everything. If you notice that you are gaining weight all of the sudden, then perhaps it would be better to look at what you are eating and how much you are eating. You CAN get by with less, I promise. Just because we got the lap band doesn't mean we never have to diet again. If you are still in the losing phase, you definitely still have to diet. No one said this process was easy. If we wanted easy we would have gone with gastric bypass or something. But we all chose lap band and must deal with all it's pluses and minuses. I guess my point is that instead of feeling like "man, if I could just get that next fill I will be set!", try to examine what is going on right now and figure out how you can be successful under the parameters you are having to deal with. At the very least, you will be restricted somewhat because you HAVE the band. Work with it and you will succeed. Rely on it to do all the work and you won't. Seems pretty simple to me.

• Like 2

The other side of the coin of course is that people have shelled out several thousands of dollars and considerable amounts of time for recovery, fill appointments, etc to see results. No one expects the band to a silver bullet to weight loss. They told themselves they wanted gradual loss for more natural results, forcing themselves to learn better habits, etc. But frankly, we expect the band will do its part too.

I expect it to.

The fact of the matter is, everyone experiences restriction in different ways. In general, however, the higher BMI patients (300 lb+) will more often feel restriction even with an empty band. Those with lower BMIs have less intrabdominal fat and thus feel less restriction. Maybe thats why you feel so strongly about this?

The point of the board is for support and understanding. We expect non-bandsters to tell us, 'hey just eat less, its not that hard, i dont know what youre complaining about' but I dont care to see that on this board, esp if you have little experience with your band. Just wait til you can eat just as much as before, and see if you dont get annoyed that ur $$$$ investment isnt doing ITS part.

I do agree that people have to take responsibility for their eating habits, their exercise, portion control, etc. Absolutely. But you're making it sound like getting a fill is giving in. Uhm, no. thats the point of the band, its adjustable. Our doctors told us that again and again. It really is possible to eat as much as before, despite having the band.

wheres the love, man? :)

• Like 1

lol. I agree with both of you. I have used my band as a tool at times and at other times I have blamed lack of fill for my weight gain. Somehow I was sure it wasn't the cheezies or icecream. As with all things it is balance. Thanks for the thought provoking posts!

• Like 1

lol. I agree with both of you. I have used my band as a tool at times and at other times I have blamed lack of fill for my weight gain. Somehow I was sure it wasn't the cheezies or icecream. As with all things it is balance. Thanks for the thought provoking posts!

If we could do this on our own, we wouldnt need the band in the first place. The point of the band was to help remind me when to stop. If there is no restriction then what is the point?

I haven't been around much lately...been focusing more on my pregnancy web board :) --but I thought I would chime in here with an opinion and give my honest story. I had my lapband 20 months ago. I've lost 50ish lbs very very slowly. I'm about 20-30 lbs from my goal. I can say that I have 100% relied on my restriction and the band. I have not been a steadfast rule follower. I still drink while I eat. I still eat bread. I don't get enough protein or fiber. I still drink non-diet soda's. So shoot me!

For me, I got the band b/c I had no will power. I had no discipline. I needed the band to do the work for me. There! I said it! And you know what? The band has totally come through!!! I had given myself 2 years to get to my goal. Not quite there, but I am 5 months pregnant and I have only gained 2 lbs!! I fully expect to get to my goal in the 3 months after I deliver! My baby is healthy and growing like a weed. I still have no discipline or will power. But I tell you one thing. That band sure has a lot of discipline. Eat too much=PB! So for me, I feel that restriction and I stop. I hate PB'ing and that is my incentive to stop eating. Plain and simple. The band is my will power.

Now for some people this may not be the way to go. Maybe they got the band to help them learn new habits. I got the band because I wanted to lose weight. And new habits have come about for me. I don't eat as much as I used to. That's my new habit :) So for me, restriction is very important. Sadly enough, I don't exercise or count calories or count carbs. I just live life and let the band do it's thing and it works for me!

So I guess my point it this: For some the band is more of a tool and for some the band is the silver bullet. And for some, they are somewhere in between. But to each his own however they can be successful, I say more power to 'em!

• Like 1

Hi Cindy congrats on ur pregnancy and thanks so much for your post! it was hilarious, i love your candor! if we cant totally honest online, then when can we be???

I think Im one of those in-the-middle ppl you referred to. I think If i didnt watch it, i'd eat my way around the band and not lose or worse yet, gain. i watch what I eat, my band watches how much I eat. Case in point... a few weeks ago I went to a fancy moroccan restaurant in the city. it was decadent and rich and sure enough, when i weighed in that friday, i had gained 1.2 lbs.. gee whiz! so i have to watch it, and im doing my part, but my band sure as hell has to pull its weight around here and pitch in too :)

ive lost 45lbs and have lost 56% of my excess weight, so i am well on my way and consider myself incredibly successful for only four months of work

Cindy-Lou, you said it! The band is like my mom used to be when I was a kid, watching over me as I eat, saying "are you sure you need to eat all that?". Except I don't resent the band for the reminder, lol! I appreciate it. I have eating issues and if I didn't, I would not have a band- I would just do weight watchers. The proof is in my ticker below. Every time I am unfilled, I gain a small amount of weight back but I still have much better habbits than I did pre-band...it has forced me to really look at my realtionship with food and make healthy changes. When I "quit" diets before I would gain all my weight back plus more. Maybe one day my relationship with food will be so solid that I won't need to rely on the band, but right now I am getting my money's worth from the investment I made while slowly changing a lifetime of bad habits.

Sabrina:)

The point of the board is for support and understanding. We expect non-bandsters to tell us, 'hey just eat less, its not that hard, i dont know what youre complaining about' but I dont care to see that on this board, esp if you have little experience with your band. Just wait til you can eat just as much as before, and see if you dont get annoyed that ur $$$$ investment isnt doing ITS part.

First off, you have been banded about a month longer than I have, so I am not sure you are able to counsel me on what my experience with the band will be.

Secondly, I don't think the purpose of this board is to blow sunshine up people's asses either. I think the point of this board is to have open, frank discussions about the lap band procedure and how it works/doesn't work/affects us. I am not trying to call anyone out, and I would say that the people that have responded to this thread are able to use their band as a tool because they aren't the one's complaining. Clearly most of us were banded in order to lose weight. But I think if we see people that are complaining that the band doesn't work when in fact it is them that isn't working (i.e. they are eating too much/wrong) we owe it to them to point it out. And it just never seems like anyone does.

I suppose what I am saying is tough love isn't the worst thing in the world sometimes.

I just believe that NO ONE is here to counsel anyone. I've actually learned a lot from other bandsters and appreciate that they can share their experiences. I don't take anyones advice for granted. I understand where BT is coming from, you can't rely TOO MUCH on restriction, but is sure as hell helps. Restriction is pretty much what im paying for, there is nothing I can pay for that will make me work out so i gotta get my butt up and work out.

i know someone who is not on this forum and was banded and had insurance cover everything. She lost 75lbs in 3 months, NEVER got up to work out, drinks cola like it's water, and has an unfilled band. ofcourse she is 350+ so the weight is melting off... But when she does get to the 200's it's going to be really hard when you don't get your self ready and used to walking/working out, and changing your food choices.

Dama, you're very smart and informational ... lol you can counsel me anytime. and YAAA!! I'm stuck at 194... But I'm still working out and staying on top of it... loosing the inches isn't so bad, even if I do stay at 194 forever.

Awww shucks... thanks :)

Sucks about being stuck at a certain wt but I think if we continue working out and watching what we eat we'll keep going, its just one of those unpleasant plateaus. i think its funny that were plateau'd at the same damn weight tho! hahaha you are either psychic or u jinxed me! ;) j/k

I can definitely see both sides. I'm like many that did every diet every everything out there and now finally have something that works for me. I paid enough for it so it better work! :) However, on the flip side i'm sure as hell gonna do everything in my power to help it along. I have significantly changed my eating habits, exercise as much as I can considering I have two jobs, and have worked to follow all the rules with drinking, etc...

Am I perfect holy crap no! I am a firm believer that food addiction is a disease just like alcohol, drugs, etc but the worst part with food is you can't not eat like you do with the others. It's a daily battle but my goal is to do my best every day and if I slip up so be it I move on. I'm the type that if I tell myself I can never have something again I want it 10 times as bad, so if I want a piece of candy or some cheese I have it, just really try to limit it.

So in a nutshell i'm gonna play Switzerland in this one and stay neutral as I see both sides, but that it my two cents.