My Mental Health

I have always been described as a big person. Now, this includes my high school days as a tiny cheerleader, because the term 'big' has referred to more than just my weight (although lately that has certainly applied). I have big opinions, a big sense of humor, a big laugh, HUGE sneezes...just a generally large personality. That being said, my commitment to food has been no exception. The problem for me came when my BIG leanings began to shift from quality to quantity, the culmination of which led to my decision to visit OCC. Today I had two truly lovely experiences that I feel mark a new era in my life. First, I cooked dinner for my husband. Now, that may seem simple, but I have always characterized myself as a theoretical feminist who wouldn't serve anyone - man or woman. Of course, in reality I just couldn't be bothered to wait for a meal. Delayed gratification has never been my strong point. Today, however, I stood in my kitchen, zen-like as I lovingly scorched a boxed meal for my mate. He was ever-so grateful. (Which tells you just how bad he's had it... :) ) Later in the evening, a particularly challenging event presented itself. I happen to love the show Cake Boss, and a marathon was running on TLC. I was able to watch this show with no - I repeat NO - sweet snack or bitter resentment! It was an honest test of my mental fortitude, and I passed with flying colors. Excuse me while I take a bow.

Have any of the other recently-banded ladies/gentlemen started noticing an upturn in their quality of life?

• Like 1

Hi there! I can totally relate looking back I wasn't huge but I was a ballet dancer and was always told I had so much talent but just needed to lose weight. I am curvy so compared to those tall skinny twigs I danced with I did look big. Always compensated with a "big personality" as well. Was always the jokester.

And, I love that show! As crazy as it seems I watched it the other night as I ran on the treadmill! Back in the day I would eat McDonalds while watching The Biggest Loser - how times have changed! :)

• Like 1

these aha moments are the biggest reward with the band. I feel like my eyes truly opened to how destructive my life had been and how destructive I had been to my body. It does physically force you to evaluate what you're doing and why and for the emotional and mental parts of the weight - i've seen more changes than i've seen on the scale.

As for an upturn in my quality of life, I think it's slow process. I broke up with my boyfriend shortly after being banded and we had been together for about 7 years (and not married). I guess you just start realizing your worth when you look at you life around you and kind of what you've let yourself become.

I found that as I got fatter and fatter that the person I felt that I was - was no longer there. I had been replaced with a quiet, passive, reserved, shy person that quite honestly became a recluse.

I can say 4 months out from being banded, a lot of those things have changed and my self-esteem is higher than it's been in years.

Good Afternoon,

After reading this thread, all I can say is WOW. I can relate to each persons post.

Mental attitude towards food and eating definitely does change at different times in the weight-loss process as well as the banded process.

As for quality of life, after 14 months, it is amazing. I feel and look like a whole new person. I was a lot like B2010 in that the heavier I got, the more I didn't want to socialize :ph34r: . Now I have a self confidence about me that I haven't had since I was 20 years old. I feel like me again. It is an amazing feeling.

Best of luck. :)

Hugs,

Kristi