Sleeve Day 10 Post Op (Part 2)

Surgery was uneventful, except that I was nauseated coming out of anesthesia. I think I needed more zofran! I had pain from the drain tube, but once they removed it Saturday morning, life was good!! The tape they used to close the incision came off the next morning, and I had to go the the ER to get the incision closed up, but that is the only issue I've had related to the surgery.

Today is day 10 post-op and I feel GREAT. But I have to say that I am doing EVERYthing I am supposed to. I am being diligent about getting enough fluids, drinking only clear or creamy drinks/soups and yogurt, and getting enough protein. I am taking a chewable childrens vitamin (for now), Viactive (calcium), and just added the B12 complex (a liquid from Spring Valley, found at Wal-Mart) and iron today. I realized today that Viactive has less than half the calcium Dr. Miranda recommended, so I will be replacing it soon.

Dr. Martinez called this morning (have you ever had a US doc call to check on you, or give you his cell phone number?). I told him I am taking in about 700-800 calories a day, and about 25 grams of protein. He said to increase my protein, which I did today by adding another slim-fast. I also saw my primary care doc in the US at his recommendation for blood pressure meds he discovered I needed during my stay last week.

My typical food intake right now is 4 oz. Activa yogurt for breakfast, slim-fast late morning, broth or creamy tomato soup for lunch, gatorade in the afternoon, and broth/soup for dinner, then another slim-fast in the evening. I am also drinking water and tea all throughout the day.

I have been so blessed to find OCC, the doctors, nurses and staff there. I have had 3 surgeries with Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez, and trust them completely. I have received exceptional care on every visit, whether it was surgery or fills, and from everyone I have interacted with. Dr. Ortiz is so positive and outgoing; he puts any pre-op concerns to rest. Dr. Martinez is the kindest doctor I have ever met. And Dr. So -- well, he's great, and those dimples!

I am happy to share my journey with you because I believe in my choice to have the surgery, and especially to have it at OCC.

• Like 1

If you don't mind me asking, why sleeve over band. My husband is considering sleeve but is booked for band. Thank you.

I had a band placed in 2005, and it ended up being terrible. Terrible for ME. I thought if I could get food down it was okay to continue eating. I didn't realize that stretched the pouch, and eventually caused the band to slip. At my 2nd fill Dr. Martinez told me my pouch was already the size of an orange, instead of a golf ball. After 2 years I got a fill, was able to eat an entire steak dinner and was convinced I needed more, so I went back for more saline. I got a little more, but it turned out to be the straw that broke the camel's back. I started having difficulty with eating, was throwing up (PBing) all the time, etc. My band eventaully slipped so far that I literally kept no solids down. In addition, I was having terrible reflux (GURD), was vomiting bile even while sleeping, etc. It was really bad.

During all of this, I was trying to get a doc in Phoenix to see me, but none would since I had surgery in Mexico, not even the doc who knew Dr. Ortiz, because of his malpractice insurance requirements. Finally, I called OCC, spoke with Dr. Martinez and scheduled surgery to remove the band in Oct. 2008. It was SO good to be healthy again!!!

After a year and a half I had regained all of my weight (80 lbs), and knew I needed something. I called and actually scheduled surgery for another band. Then I remembered about my scar tissue and Dr. Martinez telling me it was the worst band slip he had ever seen. I really didn't want problems with slipping or errosion since there was already weakened tissue on my stomach. I decided on the sleeve after seeing it as an option on the OCC website, researching it, etc. It gives the same restriction without the foreign object in your body.

I feel really good, but I am following the post-op diet/requirements religiously this time, and intend to continue doing so. My health isn't worth pushing it, and I made a major change so I can be healthy, so I figure I may as well work WITH the sleeve, not against it.

Post op and recovery last week was long, especially seeing band patients come and go each day, but I am glad I was there a week just to make sure everyhting was healing and I was safe to go home. I've seen several you tube video logs from people who went home 2 or 3 days after surgery and I can't even imagine it. OCC requires you to stay for good reason, and I'm glad they did. By the time I went home Saturday I was ready to travel, and knew I was safe to do so.