Great Protein Sources

Struggling with getting enough protein??? Me too!!

I recently discovered Fage Yogurt Total 0 (0% fat) - it's a Greek yogurt and it has 120 cal. and 20 g of protein per 8 oz., compared to 180+ cal. and 8 g protein for Yoplait, Activa, etc. It has the consistency of sour cream before you stir it. It is plain, so I've added 1 heaping Tblsp of honey to sweeten it and it's pretty tasty. You could also use Stevia or Agave nectar (both sold at Costco). I've seen the Fage at Costco and Safeway, Costco is cheaper (<$6 for a 35 oz. container).

I also found Premier Protein high protein shakes at Costco yesterday. 30 g of protein per drink, and only 160 cal. Slim-fast (and the generic brands of it) only have 10 g of protein and are 220 colories. PLUS, the Premier Protein drinks taste MUCH better than the weight loss shakes, and have only 1 g of sugar.

Hope this helps!

How did you know I was having a problem getting protein in? I found that whenever I tried to have one of the protein shakes, I was in pain after just a couple of ounces. It was just too thick and heavy. My solution was to add alot more water and to try to have them early in the day before I had much else in my system. Fortunately the HMR shakes that I have have 14 g of protein so 2 or 3 a day is all I need. I'm also trying to add to my protein with soy products such as miso soup (from Trader Joe's) and melted soy ice cream.

The yogurt sounds great but is probably not for me because of lactose intolerance. I think it will be a lot easier once I can have mushies and solid food. I can't wait to eat some grilled salmon :)

How did you know I was having a problem getting protein in? I found that whenever I tried to have one of the protein shakes, I was in pain after just a couple of ounces. It was just too thick and heavy. My solution was to add alot more water and to try to have them early in the day before I had much else in my system. Fortunately the HMR shakes that I have have 14 g of protein so 2 or 3 a day is all I need. I'm also trying to add to my protein with soy products such as miso soup (from Trader Joe's) and melted soy ice cream.

The yogurt sounds great but is probably not for me because of lactose intolerance. I think it will be a lot easier once I can have mushies and solid food. I can't wait to eat some grilled salmon :)

How did you add the weight loss ticker to your site? I've looked but couldn't figure it out.

• 5 weeks later...

Struggling with getting enough protein??? Me too!!

I recently discovered Fage Yogurt Total 0 (0% fat) - it's a Greek yogurt and it has 120 cal. and 20 g of protein per 8 oz., compared to 180+ cal. and 8 g protein for Yoplait, Activa, etc. It has the consistency of sour cream before you stir it. It is plain, so I've added 1 heaping Tblsp of honey to sweeten it and it's pretty tasty. You could also use Stevia or Agave nectar (both sold at Costco). I've seen the Fage at Costco and Safeway, Costco is cheaper (<$6 for a 35 oz. container).

I also found Premier Protein high protein shakes at Costco yesterday. 30 g of protein per drink, and only 160 cal. Slim-fast (and the generic brands of it) only have 10 g of protein and are 220 colories. PLUS, the Premier Protein drinks taste MUCH better than the weight loss shakes, and have only 1 g of sugar.

Hope this helps!

Great news. I just happen to be going to Dallas either this week or next to get my passport and I know there is a Costco there. I am not a member of Costco, but I guess that is about to change. . .LOL

Great news. I just happen to be going to Dallas either this week or next to get my passport and I know there is a Costco there. I am not a member of Costco, but I guess that is about to change. . .LOL

Rats! I just went to the Costco website and can't find the Premier Shakes anywhere. . . Is there a website on the can of the shake that I can access to find out where else it is sold?

Great! I will look there too. . . However, I called the closest Costco and they did say they have them. Don't know why they didn't show up on their website.

Found it at Costco. . . Of course, I had to join Costco to get it. . .LOL. . . I guess any excuse is okay. . . in order to join yet another club. . .LOL Bought 3 (18 packs) and will try my first one tomorrow. . .Sent one home to my sister who is having a lapband done in October for her to try as well. . . . Thanks for the tip!!!!

• 2 weeks later...