NEWBIE!

Hey all lap-banders!

I'm Dana and I'm getting my lapband surgery done at OCC on September 9th 2010. I've read almost all of the different question/answer topics that are on this site and are all very helpful, you guys rock! I am just wondering what happens on the surgery day and the day after? I admit I am a little nervous but excited all at the same time and if I knew what to expect I think it will take some of the pressure off of me! I would appreciate any information anyone is willing to give me on here and hope to meet new people that are/have gone through this journey! :lol:

~Dana

Hey all lap-banders!

I'm Dana and I'm getting my lapband surgery done at OCC on September 9th 2010. I've read almost all of the different question/answer topics that are on this site and are all very helpful, you guys rock! I am just wondering what happens on the surgery day and the day after? I admit I am a little nervous but excited all at the same time and if I knew what to expect I think it will take some of the pressure off of me! I would appreciate any information anyone is willing to give me on here and hope to meet new people that are/have gone through this journey! :lol:

~Dana

Hey, welcome to the forum. I was banded on 7 15 10. Will you have your exam the day before surgery? If not, you will have an exam, they will weigh you, talk about post op diet etc, you will do that with Dr. Miranda. Then another Dr will check your lungs and heart. You then get taken back to your room, change and take some pills, get an iv. Then surgery. Piece of cake. Recover and I opted to go to hotel with my mom at about 4pm. Two ladies choose to stay the night. I am sure they slept better than me. They got some sleeping pills. I was up and walking and shopping the next day and then the 2nd day post op, I flew home. You will be on a strict liquid diet for 21 days post surgery. The 1st 4 days were a bit painful BUT so much better that I expected, like a nagging growling stomach. Good luck.

Good for you. I am so excited for you. I arrived by myself the day before surgery. I was taken to the clinic where I had bloodwork, talked to Dr Miranda about diet , and had lung function tests and ECG. Talked with the aneasthitist. I then went back to the Marriott and had a nice evening. I only ate a healthy dinner because did not want to pig out and then end up nauseated or full of gas post op.

I was nothing by mouth after 10 p,m

The next morning I was picked up and driven to the OCC. Was taken to my room where I changed into a gown and sexy paper panties ( NOT hahahaha). Also they put compression stockings on me. I then had an IV started. Dr Ortiz came and talked to me and answered any final questions. I was given an Ativan to relax and taken to the OR. Once on the table everyone was so friendly. Mask was put on my face with oxygen and that is the last thing I remember. Iwoke up in my room a few minutes later. Surgery took 12 minutes .

Since I travelled alone I chose to stay at the OCC overnight. As soon as I was awake they had me up walking. It was no problem to move at all. I did not feel any discomfort mind you I have a high pain tolerance. Perhaps I could say it was a dull ache. As soon as I had some water they removed the IV. I was given popsicles and broth and just walked as much as possible. They had computers there so I was able to send emails etc. Also they had a phone in your room with free phone calls to anywhere in the USA.

Had a good sleep that night, Minor gas discomfort but I found walking and lifting my hands above my head got rid of it. I would lift my hands up an move them around, belch and things were dandy.

In the morning I showered and was driven back to the Marriott. I spent the day relaxing, ate their chicken broth which was good for meals and flew home the next morning.

All in all it was a breeze and I have no complaints about anything.

Debbie

Hey all lap-banders!

~Dana

How exciting! I am having surgeryabout two weeks before you. I have been combing over posts and blogs getting as much info as I possibly can. It's been very helpful. I started my liquid diet yesterday because I have some weight to lose pre surgery and yesterday was sooooo tough but today I'm doing much better so far. Good luck to you!!!

Good for you. I am so excited for you. I arrived by myself the day before surgery. I was taken to the clinic where I had bloodwork, talked to Dr Miranda about diet , and had lung function tests and ECG. Talked with the aneasthitist. I then went back to the Marriott and had a nice evening. I only ate a healthy dinner because did not want to pig out and then end up nauseated or full of gas post op.

I was nothing by mouth after 10 p,m

The next morning I was picked up and driven to the OCC. Was taken to my room where I changed into a gown and sexy paper panties ( NOT hahahaha). Also they put compression stockings on me. I then had an IV started. Dr Ortiz came and talked to me and answered any final questions. I was given an Ativan to relax and taken to the OR. Once on the table everyone was so friendly. Mask was put on my face with oxygen and that is the last thing I remember. Iwoke up in my room a few minutes later. Surgery took 12 minutes .

Since I travelled alone I chose to stay at the OCC overnight. As soon as I was awake they had me up walking. It was no problem to move at all. I did not feel any discomfort mind you I have a high pain tolerance. Perhaps I could say it was a dull ache. As soon as I had some water they removed the IV. I was given popsicles and broth and just walked as much as possible. They had computers there so I was able to send emails etc. Also they had a phone in your room with free phone calls to anywhere in the USA.

Had a good sleep that night, Minor gas discomfort but I found walking and lifting my hands above my head got rid of it. I would lift my hands up an move them around, belch and things were dandy.

In the morning I showered and was driven back to the Marriott. I spent the day relaxing, ate their chicken broth which was good for meals and flew home the next morning.

All in all it was a breeze and I have no complaints about anything.

Debbie

Revy D you are a true inspiration!! :)

Thanks for all the friendly responses!! I am more relaxed now. :lol:

Paper panties..... can't say I am excited about that part! LOL. I wasn't aware that I had a choice to stay in the hospital overnight or just go back to the hotel. I like that they give you that option though! Thank you again to everyone that responded to me. I'm glad that there is a support system for lap-banders at my fingertips! :lol:

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Dana))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hugs to you! I'm so excited to here that you'll be joining us banditos. Welcome to the forum. I can't wait to hear about your progress.

xo

Hey all lap-banders!

~Dana