25-Minute Best-Body Workout

Great article written by my friend, Jill Coleman.

Featured in Family Circle

25-Minute Best-Body Workout

"Don't believe anyone who says you have to exercise an hour every day for noticeable results," says Jill Coleman, fitness coordinator at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and coauthor of the workout guide My Gym Trainer (My Trainer Fitness). Shorter workouts with more intensity allow you to burn more calories and fat. "Most people are willing to work harder when they know their exercise routine isn't going to last long," explains Coleman, who designed this plan. "Plus, brief bouts of physical activity are easier to fit into busy schedules. You can reach your goals with just three sessions per week." Strength moves, like those here, boost metabolism for hours post- workout and increase bone mineral density. In addition, strength training is the only way you can change the shape of the body, adding curves and definition.

Since each of the movements takes just 1 minute, you'll need a watch or timer. And while the program is designed for an intermediate exerciser, it can be adjusted for beginners and advanced users.

To Make It Easier: In place of Squat Jumps, Push-Ups and the intense walk, do a 1-minute brisk walk.

To Turn Up the Burn: Try Push-Ups from the toes, turn the 1-minute intense walks into 30-second sprints or add weights when doing lunges.

Read the rest of the article, including actual workout templates here.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...