Help - Where to locate port

I was banded on 8/3/10. My port was only extremely uncomfortable for a few days. After that I was able to sleep on that side but could not bend straight over on the left to tie my shoes. That lasted approx another week. I think everyone has a different journey but hopefully yours will be easy.

I was banded on 8/3/10. My port was only extremely uncomfortable for a few days. After that I was able to sleep on that side but could not bend straight over on the left to tie my shoes. That lasted approx another week. I think everyone has a different journey but hopefully yours will be easy.

I am one month post op - my port is on my left side. I can only feel it if I purposely press my fingers against it - you can tell that if feels a little firmer now instead of what would normally be smooshy. It causes no pain at all, however, I still have a lot of weight to lose. The only pain I felt was immediately after surgery and that was mild, and due to being cut and stiched, not from the port itself.

I am one month post op - my port is on my left side. I can only feel it if I purposely press my fingers against it - you can tell that if feels a little firmer now instead of what would normally be smooshy. It causes no pain at all, however, I still have a lot of weight to lose. The only pain I felt was immediately after surgery and that was mild, and due to being cut and stiched, not from the port itself.

The reason the port hurts more than the other holes they put into you is because they are making a larger incision through your muscles. Plus they have sutured this hunk of plastic to your muscle wall...Until your healed it will be tender, I am 1.5 years out and I can lay anyway I want. I can feel my port if I push on it..It does not poke out1!!!

Hope this helps

Kim :wub:

For the majority of us, we don't feel the port until we've lost a significant amount of weight.

For me, it shows, but I could care less. I also know now not to move my body, so it doesn't rub against my ribs. And I sleep with a pillow under my side where my port is.

With that being said, i've lost a lot of weight & fat to get to this point.

I am being banded next week (9/30) and am reading that the port can be uncomfortable.

1) Should I consider the belly button port - is that more comfie?

2) If not, I also considered asking fora right side port since I skeep on my left side. Is that possible? Thoughts?

Hello,

I was banded back in March of this year and at first, the port area was "tender" but nothing too painful. Like another post I read, the only time I really can feel the port, is when I deliberately touch it. I notice since I have lost some weight, the port seems to protrude moreso. Nothing that noticable. I think I am just more aware of it. Like the doctor told me, after the surgery and recovery time, the only time any one will really notice the port, is during intimate contact. I believe this to be true, in my case anyway.

As far as pain...I have never really had much pain from the port site. No more than I expected to have. It was somewhat uncomfortable at first, but I was able to sleep on my left side, where the port is located. So, you will have time to speak with the surgeon prior to your surgery with any questions you may have about this issue.

Best of Luck with your surgery...you will probably be very glad you went with this decision...I know I am.