HELP!

Danana

I have been eating solids for almost a week now and I feel like I am out of control! I am trying to eat right and portion control and all that but when I am eating its like portion control goes out the window! What is wrong with me!? I got this band to lose weight and hopefully be able to eat less and be smarter about food but I feel like when I am around my friends, etc... I'm slipping right back into the "OLD ME". Please someone say something to snap me back! I have not had a fill yet so I am hoping once I get my 1st fill it might help a little bit but people say it takes more than one fill to feel any restriction! I'm so scared I am going to gain some of my 50lbs back that I tried so hard to lose! Has any1 else gone through this or am I just screwed? I hate showing weakness but my weight has always been a huge struggle in my life since middle school and I feel like people on here will understand where I am coming from. I'm actually starting to believe that I was/am a food addict! :(

I have been eating solids for almost a week now and I feel like I am out of control! I am trying to eat right and portion control and all that but when I am eating its like portion control goes out the window! What is wrong with me!? I got this band to lose weight and hopefully be able to eat less and be smarter about food but I feel like when I am around my friends, etc... I'm slipping right back into the "OLD ME". Please someone say something to snap me back! I have not had a fill yet so I am hoping once I get my 1st fill it might help a little bit but people say it takes more than one fill to feel any restriction! I'm so scared I am going to gain some of my 50lbs back that I tried so hard to lose! Has any1 else gone through this or am I just screwed? I hate showing weakness but my weight has always been a huge struggle in my life since middle school and I feel like people on here will understand where I am coming from. I'm actually starting to believe that I was/am a food addict! :(

It takes a while to get into the groove. I could have been further along in my weight loss than I am but I ate too much before my fills too. Once you have had a fill or two and feel the restriction, your eating will slow down, it will have to. I have learned that the hard way, many more times than should have been needed. You are responding to having denied yourself and now you are like a kid in a candy store. It is a rebound reaction. It took two fills for me to feel good restriction. I should have gotten them sooner than I did but finances and timing got in the way and, I insisted that I would go back to the OCC for my fills (I live in NJ so it's a big deal). Hang in there, I know it's tough but you can do it.

It takes a while to get into the groove. I could have been further along in my weight loss than I am but I ate too much before my fills too. Once you have had a fill or two and feel the restriction, your eating will slow down, it will have to. I have learned that the hard way, many more times than should have been needed. You are responding to having denied yourself and now you are like a kid in a candy store. It is a rebound reaction. It took two fills for me to feel good restriction. I should have gotten them sooner than I did but finances and timing got in the way and, I insisted that I would go back to the OCC for my fills (I live in NJ so it's a big deal). Hang in there, I know it's tough but you can do it.

Consider this a new life and new learning...things will not change overnight without serious thought from you and commitment to change habits. I was an emotional eater for my entire life..the band is a tool..I have slowly noticed changes, both self imposed, and band imposed. Here are some ideas that have helped me:

1. Online food diary (my personal fav "Calorie King").

2. Blogging, either on this site or in a personal diary-depending on what I want to share or not.

3. Learning things about myself and making changes. For instance; not eatting in a hurry and taking time to sit and eat, finding some time to exercise even if it's a 20 minute walk during lunch, self care which doesn't include eating, realizing that I am worth the time and effort, learning food--real food--what I like, need, or can tolerate.

4. Reading on emotional eating, two of my favorite books; "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan, and "Eating Mindfully" by Susan Albers. These two books are low key and get to the point.

5. Forgiving myself, breathing, and getting back in the saddle..

and finally,

6. Realizing that this is not going to happen overnight..but that I will not give up and I am in for the long haul, picking myself up when I stumble.

For each of us this is a personal journey..you will need to follow your path and figure it out..but you are not alone..we are all here!

• Like 1

Consider this a new life and new learning...things will not change overnight without serious thought from you and commitment to change habits. I was an emotional eater for my entire life..the band is a tool..I have slowly noticed changes, both self imposed, and band imposed. Here are some ideas that have helped me:

1. Online food diary (my personal fav "Calorie King").

2. Blogging, either on this site or in a personal diary-depending on what I want to share or not.

3. Learning things about myself and making changes. For instance; not eatting in a hurry and taking time to sit and eat, finding some time to exercise even if it's a 20 minute walk during lunch, self care which doesn't include eating, realizing that I am worth the time and effort, learning food--real food--what I like, need, or can tolerate.

4. Reading on emotional eating, two of my favorite books; "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan, and "Eating Mindfully" by Susan Albers. These two books are low key and get to the point.

5. Forgiving myself, breathing, and getting back in the saddle..

and finally,

6. Realizing that this is not going to happen overnight..but that I will not give up and I am in for the long haul, picking myself up when I stumble.

For each of us this is a personal journey..you will need to follow your path and figure it out..but you are not alone..we are all here!

Great advice. We all need to remind ourselves that we did not get this way overnight. It will take time.

Oh Danana this is my biggest fear since I've just introduced drinkable yogurt today. I'm sorry this is happening. I am loving another book called The End to Overeating

also someone on another forum says she gets a lot of support from over eaters anonymous.

good luck girl- Breath- that is number one.

My husband was banded and did great the first 2 weeks. Then relaized he coudl virtually eat whatever he wanted so for the next 4 weeks, he did so. After the fill, that is no longer the case. Hang in there until the fill. Try to reduce the quantity. A smaller, saucer size (6 inch) plate helps you feel you are getting more since you can fill that.