Exercise , Exercise, Exercise

I am kind of frustrated because I am gaining weight. I don't have any kind of restriction and and can't get another fill until next month so I am trying to do what I can to loose weight on my own.

I have been exercising 4-6 days a week for about two months now. I went ahead and booked a trainer to make up an exercise plan for me to follow. I have to pay extra but it has given me incentive to show up to the gym or loose the money. I am hoping that I will learn to love exercise so I will want to go to the gym and work out on my own. I think my weight gain is probably muscle weight but still it makes me mad.

What types of exercises do those of you who have lost large amounts of weight recommend that I do? I think I need more cardio than I am doing? I am trying to do 30 minutes every day but usually get it in three times a week.

I tried a beginning spin class.. Not sure if I like it or not...My butt hurt for a week after that class. I think I am still too fat to fit on the small seat. My trainer has had me lifting weights and working on my core strength but I really feel that has aggravated my neck issues. Last week I broke out of my comfort zone and took a Pliates Reformer and a Yoga class even though I felt so out of place. I am really making an effort without anything to show for it on the scale. Any suggestions?

To gain weight, you'd have to be taking in more calories than your body is using up ..

Please post a food journal, as this usually gives a very clear indication on where changes can be made.

Have you had your body fat and/or measurements taken?

This is much clearer indication of progress than a # on a scale.

It sounds like you're very confused, and unfocused .. lifting, cardio, yoga, pilates, spinning ...

What sort of recommendations has your 'trainer' given you in terms of days on/off, and cardio?

Sometimes you just have to go on faith - it will show in time. And you have to be really honest and open with yourself. Make sure you are watching your intake - some drinks can add in high calories. But and its a big one (no pun intended) when you first start really pushing yourself and you're on the muscle building program you may see slow weight loss but high inches lost. I do yoga and palates - looked like a fool at first and now people walk in and ask if I'm the instructure - you'll get it. If I'm looking to really burn calories I'll do 15 minutes of intense cardio before the class. These days I'm just looking to stay the same.

This is a long term, life long program - you will see changes and you will make it if you keep it up. It took us years to get fat and out of shape - don't expect things to change fast. Take your time, enjoy the ride - I use to hate to exercise as well but now love it. Its like brushing my teeth - I feel icky if I don't do it.

Love ya, and don't stop!

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes you just have to go on faith - it will show in time. And you have to be really honest and open with yourself. Make sure you are watching your intake - some drinks can add in high calories. But and its a big one (no pun intended) when you first start really pushing yourself and you're on the muscle building program you may see slow weight loss but high inches lost. I do yoga and palates - looked like a fool at first and now people walk in and ask if I'm the instructure - you'll get it. If I'm looking to really burn calories I'll do 15 minutes of intense cardio before the class. These days I'm just looking to stay the same.

This is a long term, life long program - you will see changes and you will make it if you keep it up. It took us years to get fat and out of shape - don't expect things to change fast. Take your time, enjoy the ride - I use to hate to exercise as well but now love it. Its like brushing my teeth - I feel icky if I don't do it.

Love ya, and don't stop!

Lisa

Thanks so much Lisa.... I need to watch my intake more... I really do since I have no restriction now.

I tried Yoga for the first time last week and I enjoyed it..

I will keep in mind that this is long term. I just wished I was one who lost weight at a faster pace.

Thanks again,

Sherri

To gain weight, you'd have to be taking in more calories than your body is using up ..

Please post a food journal, as this usually gives a very clear indication on where changes can be made.

Have you had your body fat and/or measurements taken?

This is much clearer indication of progress than a # on a scale.

It sounds like you're very confused, and unfocused .. lifting, cardio, yoga, pilates, spinning ...

What sort of recommendations has your 'trainer' given you in terms of days on/off, and cardio?

Lindsay,

I need to do a food journal... Thanks so much for the idea.

Sherri

Hi Sherri,

Congrats on the excercise you are doing!!! Keep going.

Just thought I would add my two cents on the subject. Please take it for what it is worth. It doesn't sound like you are doing enough exercise. You are going to the gym frequently but not doing enough.

Think of it this way. It is actually very simple. You probably don't need a trainer or fancy classes at this point. JUST WALK!! According to most fitness experts you need to walk 10,000 steps every day to lose weight. For most people, that is the equivalent of 5 miles. If you are walking a 15 minute mile, which is a little slow, you only walk 2 miles in 30 mins and that only equals about 4,000 steps. Way short of the 10,000 needed for weight loss. At a 15 minute per mile pace you need to be walking (outdoors or on a treadmill) for about 1.5 hours. As you get in better shape your pace will pick up, but even if you get your pace down to 11 minute miles, fairly brisk, you still need to walk for about 55 minutes or 1 hour EVERY DAY.

While you are walking you can break up the walk by doing push-ups on the back of a bench and squats and/or lunges during the walk. This will help build your core and firm your muscles. Try to build up your biggest muscles first as it will give you the most bang for your buck. That would be your quads and glutes. Voila squats.

I realize the 10,000 step goal is lofty and it is supposed to also encompass the other activities of your day but for me personally, I walk about 6 miles most days of the week (at least 5 days) and then consider all the rest of my daily activities as "gravy" on that.

Hope this helps!!

All the best to you in your journey.

Kim

Hi Sherri,

Congrats on the excercise you are doing!!! Keep going.

Just thought I would add my two cents on the subject. Please take it for what it is worth. It doesn't sound like you are doing enough exercise. You are going to the gym frequently but not doing enough.

Think of it this way. It is actually very simple. You probably don't need a trainer or fancy classes at this point. JUST WALK!! According to most fitness experts you need to walk 10,000 steps every day to lose weight. For most people, that is the equivalent of 5 miles. If you are walking a 15 minute mile, which is a little slow, you only walk 2 miles in 30 mins and that only equals about 4,000 steps. Way short of the 10,000 needed for weight loss. At a 15 minute per mile pace you need to be walking (outdoors or on a treadmill) for about 1.5 hours. As you get in better shape your pace will pick up, but even if you get your pace down to 11 minute miles, fairly brisk, you still need to walk for about 55 minutes or 1 hour EVERY DAY.

While you are walking you can break up the walk by doing push-ups on the back of a bench and squats and/or lunges during the walk. This will help build your core and firm your muscles. Try to build up your biggest muscles first as it will give you the most bang for your buck. That would be your quads and glutes. Voila squats.

I realize the 10,000 step goal is lofty and it is supposed to also encompass the other activities of your day but for me personally, I walk about 6 miles most days of the week (at least 5 days) and then consider all the rest of my daily activities as "gravy" on that.

Hope this helps!!

All the best to you in your journey.

Kim

Kim,

Thanks so much for the reply. I am going to go out today and buy one of those pedometers to count my steps.