worried about long term

Have you checked out this webpage http://gastricplication.org/ it has plenty of info!!!

Yes, I read that. Thank you.

From what I can see, it does not say how long ago the first gastric plication was performed, and how the sutures are holding up? I know it is a new procedure. I wish I could find some info on someone who had this done 2 or 3 years ago.

Yes, I read that. Thank you.

From what I can see, it does not say how long ago the first gastric plication was performed, and how the sutures are holding up? I know it is a new procedure. I wish I could find some info on someone who had this done 2 or 3 years ago.

this will be hard to track down.

Esp as the procedure hasn't even been FDA approved yet.

I have almost talked myself into having the plication in March. My biggest concern is that the long term results are unknown. Does anyone know when the first plications were performed, and how are those patients doing now? Will the stitches really last for life?

There are always concerns lont-term for procedures, but how about the long-term costs of obesity, smoking, drinking, high-cholesterol diet? There are so many costs. You probably need to go with your gut feeling for what is best for you as an individual. The side effects I can have may be completely different than what you experience. BUT if the procedure is less invasive and reversible, it may or may not play into your decision. You can always wait. It doesn't have to be in March. If your heart tells you to wait then wait. Hope it works out for you and you find what is healthiest for you.

• 4 weeks later...

If it's any consolation I'm in the same boat = I'm scheduled for March 14th and wish there was just more info... at the same time I'm really looking at myself and the questions I'm asking. I've really got no reservations about the procedure since I feel that it is less invasive and the risks inherent in surgical procedures would be lower since they don't cut or redirect things. My concerns are all about the outcome - how will I feel? Will I have nausea, vomitting, reflux? Will I see the results that they are claiming? I know everyone's outcome will be different and dependent upon how they follow the post op instructions, but there just aren't as many plication patients posting their outcomes as the lap banders :) Guess I'll just put my faith in God and Dr. Ortiz and see where this journey takes me - I'm a big believer in fate and I think fate has brought me down this path so far.

Good luck - when is your surgery? Maybe we'll cross paths in the waiting room :)

Yolanda

If it's any consolation I'm in the same boat = I'm scheduled for March 14th and wish there was just more info... at the same time I'm really looking at myself and the questions I'm asking. I've really got no reservations about the procedure since I feel that it is less invasive and the risks inherent in surgical procedures would be lower since they don't cut or redirect things. My concerns are all about the outcome - how will I feel? Will I have nausea, vomitting, reflux? Will I see the results that they are claiming? I know everyone's outcome will be different and dependent upon how they follow the post op instructions, but there just aren't as many plication patients posting their outcomes as the lap banders :) Guess I'll just put my faith in God and Dr. Ortiz and see where this journey takes me - I'm a big believer in fate and I think fate has brought me down this path so far.

Good luck - when is your surgery? Maybe we'll cross paths in the waiting room :)

Yolanda

Hi, I'm getting a plication March 16th so I may be seeing Yolanda there. From what I have heard the plication procedure has been done for 10 years in Europe and probably South America with good results.

My concern is for the long haul as well. I could go on a diet and lose the 60 lbs I need to lose but I wion't keep it off for a long time like I used to. I never had a weight problem until about 10 years a go. and, now it is completely impossible for me.

sharon

Hi! I guess we'll be surgery buddies :) I'm coming from Texas, how about you? Started the preop diet yet? I'm doing the liquid diet - I'm not loving it but it's been manageable so far. Good luck and I'll see you soon!

I am coming from Washington State. Looking forward to the warmer weather down there!

I started option 2 (2 shakes and a healthy choice) 8 days ago. So far, I am down about 10 lbs, with 5 more to go. Some days are much easier than others, but Progresso Italian-Style veggie soup really helps!

See you soon, and best of luck! :)

I am coming from Washington State. Looking forward to the warmer weather down there!

I started option 2 (2 shakes and a healthy choice) 8 days ago. So far, I am down about 10 lbs, with 5 more to go. Some days are much easier than others, but Progresso Italian-Style veggie soup really helps!

See you soon, and best of luck! :)

where in WA state, I live in Eastern WA

Guest lena9800

I have almost talked myself into having the plication in March. My biggest concern is that the long term results are unknown. Does anyone know when the first plications were performed, and how are those patients doing now? Will the stitches really last for life?

Results

All procedures were performed laparoscopically without conversions. Mean operative time was 55 minutes (40–110 minutes). Mean hospital stay was 36 hours (24 to 96 hours). On average, patients returned to normal activities seven days (4–13 days) following surgery. Mean percentage of excess weight loss (EWL) was calculated to be 20 percent at one month, 32 percent at three months, 48 percent at six months, 60 percent at 12 months, 62 percent at 18 months, and 61 percent at 24 months.

No intraoperative complications were documented. All patients had lost at least 10 percent of total body weight. In the first postoperative week, however, nausea, vomiting, and sialorrhea in occurred in 22, 14, and 33 percent of patients, respectively. In all cases, these symptoms were resolved within two weeks. There has been no record of weight regain in any patient to date.

Postoperative upper endoscopy and radiologic evaluation were performed on 12 patients at one and six months and in seven patients at up to 12 months. Qualitatively, the upper endoscopies suggest that the initial greater curvature fold is smaller at six months when compared with the initial fold size at one month, but appears unchanged at 12 months. Mild esophagitis (Grade A of Los Angeles classification) occurred in four patients at one month postoperatively; these patients were symptomatic (nausea, vomiting, and sialorrhea) and were kept on PPI, following the standard protocol. The six-month endoscopic evaluation identified no lesions or symptoms. Lumen size appeared stable (e.g., no dilation) based on upper gastrointestinal (GI) radiologic series performed on these patients at one and six months

Guest lena9800

Results

All procedures were performed laparoscopically without conversions. Mean operative time was 55 minutes (40–110 minutes). Mean hospital stay was 36 hours (24 to 96 hours). On average, patients returned to normal activities seven days (4–13 days) following surgery. Mean percentage of excess weight loss (EWL) was calculated to be 20 percent at one month, 32 percent at three months, 48 percent at six months, 60 percent at 12 months, 62 percent at 18 months, and 61 percent at 24 months.

No intraoperative complications were documented. All patients had lost at least 10 percent of total body weight. In the first postoperative week, however, nausea, vomiting, and sialorrhea in occurred in 22, 14, and 33 percent of patients, respectively. In all cases, these symptoms were resolved within two weeks. There has been no record of weight regain in any patient to date.

Postoperative upper endoscopy and radiologic evaluation were performed on 12 patients at one and six months and in seven patients at up to 12 months. Qualitatively, the upper endoscopies suggest that the initial greater curvature fold is smaller at six months when compared with the initial fold size at one month, but appears unchanged at 12 months. Mild esophagitis (Grade A of Los Angeles classification) occurred in four patients at one month postoperatively; these patients were symptomatic (nausea, vomiting, and sialorrhea) and were kept on PPI, following the standard protocol. The six-month endoscopic evaluation identified no lesions or symptoms. Lumen size appeared stable (e.g., no dilation) based on upper gastrointestinal (GI) radiologic series performed on these patients at one and six months

I got this info from Bariatric times if you go there search GPS