Tips and Tricks

Hello Everyone!

I will be having my surgery on 4/29/11 in celebration of my 32nd birthday! (yay me) I have been all over this forum and have seen a bunch of info goodies hidden everywhere. As this forum is not as popular as the band forum(yet!) I thought we could create a post for tips and tricks before and after surgery so people can be informed and prepare for this amazing journey. Also we should come up with a cool name I mean the lap band group call themselves the bandsters, what can we call ourselves? The pleats? The Plicators (sounds intimidating)? Anywho back to the original post....what about posting responses to this post as such:

1.) Dont include original message in reply

2.) What to Bring: Gas-X Strips - Explanation or tid-bit why.

3.) What to buy: Bullet Blender - Explanation or tid-bit why.

4.) Tips or tricks to reduce discomfort or awsome observations.

Can't wait to add to the list! I can't wait to be a PLICATOR cause I am a weight DOMINATOR!

P.S. just ignore my excessive corniness, my husband does.

What a great day to have a birthday, lots of great people have that day! Did I mention we shared the same great day.....lol.... My plication was done on Jan 27th at OCC. Ok to answer a few queries...why the Gas-X strips...well, during the surgery, your adbomen area is inflated with gas so the surgeon can have good vison of the area, and that gas has to come out. So ya end up with approx. 7-10 days with burping and rooty-tooting you way through the entire day. They do give you prescription meds for the gas but the Gas-X can help a lot. So does walking, which the clinic will encouage you do to asap, the more the better. The Magic Bullet is great especially for those protein shakes we all need to drink. You can make your own protein shake too. I use a bit of ice, 2 tablespoons of juice, water, one scope of no flavour protein powder(cause I have yet to find a protein shake that doesn't put my gag reflex into high gear) and say a bit of banana......a few push downs on the Magic Bullet and you got yourself a smoothie with protein. It also works in the cream soup phase. Lots of time cream soups have a bit of chunks, like say cream of potatom, or say cream soups from Whole Foods. Using the Bullet smooths those all out. Since gulping drinks, or using a straw adds to the gas situation, you'd want to avoid those too. I use a plastic baby spoon so I don't try and eat too fast or put too much in my mouth at one time....again...gas.....for me it can come in the form of pressure under my breast bone. It passes with a burp, but why not try not to ge it than fight it off. I took a thermos with me. We stayed at the Marriot in Tj, and their chicken broth in the evening is awesome, but the morning fair looked like cloudy dish water with chicken fat floating on top. Having that thermos meant I could heat it up with hot water, and have it filled up with broth at night and it kept me till the next evening with the good broth was available. I learned on the trip back that you can take a thermos of hot soup or a drinkable yogart(if you're on to that then) through security. I got wheel chair assistance to ehlp both get to the gate and clear security. It was one of the San Diego wheel chair assistance who told me I could take it through security and on board. I just had to tell them I had just had WLS and this was all I could consume, and no problem clearing security. I also took Lipton cup a soup, just in case. I didn't use it cause I had my thermos, but the two gals who had their surgery on the same day sure enjoyed them.

Those are a few things for you to add to your list. Katie

Hello Everyone!

I will be having my surgery on 4/29/11 in celebration of my 32nd birthday! (yay me) I have been all over this forum and have seen a bunch of info goodies hidden everywhere. As this forum is not as popular as the band forum(yet!) I thought we could create a post for tips and tricks before and after surgery so people can be informed and prepare for this amazing journey. Also we should come up with a cool name I mean the lap band group call themselves the bandsters, what can we call ourselves? The pleats? The Plicators (sounds intimidating)? Anywho back to the original post....what about posting responses to this post as such:

1.) Dont include original message in reply

2.) What to Bring: Gas-X Strips - Explanation or tid-bit why.

3.) What to buy: Bullet Blender - Explanation or tid-bit why.

4.) Tips or tricks to reduce discomfort or awsome observations.

Can't wait to add to the list! I can't wait to be a PLICATOR cause I am a weight DOMINATOR!

P.S. just ignore my excessive corniness, my husband does.

Pre-op/Post op diet - I followed pre-op #2 for 2 1/2 weeks and lost 20lbs. I had a protein shake for breakfast & dinner a Healthy Choice Steamer (under 260 cals) for lunch and cucumbers mid-morn and afternoon. The first two days were brutal because I was addicted to simple carbs. But once my body was not used to them it went away. I also drank a lot of diet sundrop. I did cheat a couple of times and have cheese. I love cheese.

I also cheated. I took HCG shots daily. www.advancehcg.com

The HCG makes your body think you are pregnant so it burns fat when you are taking in such low calories and keeps up the metabolism. It was a choice I made and Dr. Miranda told me that quite a few patients come to the clinic having don those shots. She did not know much about them. The clinic has looked into the shots but they don't have enough evidence yet to decide if there is a benefit or not so she said that they are not currently pusuing them. However, it is a personal choice and I would neither recommend nor discourage anyone. You would need to do the research and decide for oneself.

I am also taking them post-op so my metabolism doesn't slow until I can get back on regular foods and I can intake higher calories. Right now I am struggling to get enough calories in a day just on liquids. I am choosing low sodium soups but it is still a lot of sodium for me. I am having a hard time balancing water intake and liquid foods.

Gas - X strips also helped me with excessing gas. I am still trying to figure out pooping. Let me know if someone has a tip. I don't have much to expel since I am not eating much that has by-product, but I feel like I need to go frequently but after I struggle, I drop a pebble. Sorry for the graphics, but this is an issue for me and I have never had a constipation issue before. I could resort to Miralax or something but I would rather it be a last resort. I have been keeping up my H2O but it is not helping.

Pre-op/Post op diet - I followed pre-op #2 for 2 1/2 weeks and lost 20lbs. I had a protein shake for breakfast & dinner a Healthy Choice Steamer (under 260 cals) for lunch and cucumbers mid-morn and afternoon. The first two days were brutal because I was addicted to simple carbs. But once my body was not used to them it went away. I also drank a lot of diet sundrop. I did cheat a couple of times and have cheese. I love cheese.

The HCG makes your body think you are pregnant so it burns fat when you are taking in such low calories and keeps up the metabolism. It was a choice I made and Dr. Miranda told me that quite a few patients come to the clinic having don those shots. She did not know much about them. The clinic has looked into the shots but they don't have enough evidence yet to decide if there is a benefit or not so she said that they are not currently pusuing them. However, it is a personal choice and I would neither recommend nor discourage anyone. You would need to do the research and decide for oneself.

I am also taking them post-op so my metabolism doesn't slow until I can get back on regular foods and I can intake higher calories. Right now I am struggling to get enough calories in a day just on liquids. I am choosing low sodium soups but it is still a lot of sodium for me. I am having a hard time balancing water intake and liquid foods.

Gas - X strips also helped me with excessing gas. I am still trying to figure out pooping. Let me know if someone has a tip. I don't have much to expel since I am not eating much that has by-product, but I feel like I need to go frequently but after I struggle, I drop a pebble. Sorry for the graphics, but this is an issue for me and I have never had a constipation issue before. I could resort to Miralax or something but I would rather it be a last resort. I have been keeping up my H2O but it is not helping.

Bowel movements have been an issue for a few of us at the beginning. I chew fiber gummies and that along with a bit of time seemed to even it all out. Good luck

Hi!

I had my surgery Feb.9th at the OCC. The Dr's at the OCC suggest MOM to assist with the bowel movements. Keep in mind that on a liquid diet you are not taking in anything solid, so there really isn't anything to go through the intestinal tract. I have read here that this is very common and once full liquids and then soft foods are introduced things will start to pick up again.

I lost 17 lbs pre surgery without the injections, I didn't want to take anything like that being that hormones can really screw your body up when you start to play around with them. I want my body to as natural as possible, because I believe that is the healthier way to pursue this journey.

That being said - good luck to you!

• 1 month later...

Anyone want to add to this list?

Things I have heard that are useful

1. Gas X strips - helps with gas pain

2. Thermos - to carry warm soup on plane home

3. Packet soup powder (no noodles) to put inside 2.

4. Comfy clothes (elastic waistband)

5. I'm sure laptop or books help as TV might be limited

6. Plastic Baby spoon (someone told me this really helped not to eat too fast.

7. Take advantage of wheel chair option in airport (might as well get first class treatment)

8. A great blender for home (some people swae by the Magic Bullet)

Anyone want to add to this list?

Things I have heard that are useful

7. Take advantage of wheel chair option in airport (might as well get first class treatment)

I would add the Whey liquid protein shots. I took one with me and loved the ability to sip it.

9. Whey liquid protein shots. Canuk says "I took one with me and loved the ability to sip it."

Papaya Enzyme - supposedly better/faster than Gas x (anyone try it before?)

9. Whey liquid protein shots. Canuk says "I took one with me and loved the ability to sip it."

10. Good Walking Shoes!

11. Tea - Warm Liquids make you feel better

12.Mexican Pesos - if you want to pay in cash.(otherwisw credit cards will do transfer)

Papaya Enzyme - supposedly better/faster than Gas x (anyone try it before?)

One little thing tidbit that I can contribute... I'm only 3 weeks out but I found it hard in the 2nd week to get in 30g of protein - one of my friends told me to use Greek yogurt since the protein content is higher - boy was she right! Yoplait had a greek 2x brand that had 19g of protein in a single serving cup! Helped tremendously! I made a little smoothie with that for breakfast and gradually just moved to eating the yogurt.

Oh I love Papaya Enzymne...............even now 2 months out, I keep them with me all the time..chewable and yummy too. Within 15 minutes gas is resolved, and it helps with digesting solid protein. Get them in the vitamin section of Walmart or The Vitamin Store. Highly recommeded! K:)

MariMelO, I wish you well. Time is fast approaching and I'm sure you are so very excited. I don't have any handy dandy tips at this point. But, I'm excited for you and wondering what you are doing in preparation. Is it mostly mental preparation or are there dietary preparations as well? Good luck!! Keep us posted please.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just had my plication surgery on 4/15. Overall, a good experience, but I was a big caught offguard by the nausea, and I had no desire to consume anything other than gatorade (which I couldn't find until I got to the airport). So thus starts my tips and tricks list:

1. Gatorade (G2)

2. Shirt with a built-in shelf bra (because an underwire bra WILL dig into one of the incisions)

3. Dress or loose fitting yoga pants

4. Empty bottle to barf in (sorry, I know it's gross, but I was completely unprepared for the nausea, and it stayed with me until today...3 days post surgery).

5. Take your mother, husband, girlfriend....whoever is going to be the most comforting source. Whatever you do...Do NOT go alone. I did this. Big regret.

6. Don't bother packing more than a carryon bag. You won't wear more than 2 changes of clothing.

7. Take plenty of single bills. The bellmen and van drivers are very helpful (and post-surgery, you'll be glad they're there). I ended up tipping more than I had expected to, and they deserved it.

8. Stock your home pantry with broth, popsicles, and gatorade PRIOR to leaving for your surgery. When you get home, you're not gonna feel like doing alot of running around.

9. Take a good book. There's alot of waiting around.

10.Most important....make friends with the folks having a procedure the same day you are. They are a GREAT comfort and support.

Best of Luck!

I can't seem to reply or post new topics, so I'll post here (any ideas on why I can't?)

I love everyone's tips! I may think of more to add when my brain is functioning more properly, but I have to agree with one especially- DON'T GO ALONE. I brought my mother and fiancee, and felt like I had brought an entourage, but the support was wonderful, and they were there for other patients who brought nobody. The support is really appreciated, as the other patients just went through the same thing as you, and really can't run down and grab you a cup of broth, or bring you a garbage can to get sick in! BRING SOMEONE! Also, just a heads up for those without insurance that covers scripts:

I don't have ins., so I stocked up the last two times I went to TJ. While some meds aren't manufactured in Mexico, and therefore not any cheaper, many are. I got inhalers, birth control, sinus pills, and amox, among other things at the farmacias in TJ. I saved a ton of money by doing this, and a doctors visit, and didn't have any problems coming back across the border (even with my passport missing!) The only advice I would offer is to do some quick research before you go. While many of the pharmacists know what you're looking for, it helps to know the spanish name for your meds before hand. A quick google search should turn them up. I'm not trying to condone illegal drug use or anything, I just wanted to share my money-saving experience! Also, at other stores- BARTER!!!! it's not a natural thing for me to do, but that's how they roll in Mexico....

Best of luck tomorrow! I know this might be too late, but I would ask about nausea patches. Dr. Watkins gave me a nausea patch. I never felt sick at all. He gave me nausea pills as a precaution, but I never needed them. So many OCC patients get nausea after plication, it would be worth asking about.

Best of luck tomorrow! I know this might be too late, but I would ask about nausea patches. Dr. Watkins gave me a nausea patch. I never felt sick at all. He gave me nausea pills as a precaution, but I never needed them. So many OCC patients get nausea after plication, it would be worth asking about.

Is Dr Watkins at the OCC?

I've never heard this dr's name come up before.