Just scheduled and nervous... looking for support

Just made the big decision and scheduled plication - terrified and could really use some reassurance. I'm more scared of what happens if I do nothing - single mom, two kids and I want to be here for them, tired of being the fat one on the sidelines and want to fix this. With plication being the newer procedure, I'd really appreciate guidance, feedback, success stories, warnings, precautions, - hoping to find some friends on here as I start this journey. -- Yolanda

Just made the big decision and scheduled plication - terrified and could really use some reassurance. I'm more scared of what happens if I do nothing - single mom, two kids and I want to be here for them, tired of being the fat one on the sidelines and want to fix this. With plication being the newer procedure, I'd really appreciate guidance, feedback, success stories, warnings, precautions, - hoping to find some friends on here as I start this journey. -- Yolanda

I am a bandster but still wanted to reach out and congratulate you on your new journey. It will be awesome

Guest lena9800

Hi, I had plication on Oct 18 2010. If u go with Dr. Ortiz this is what is going to happen, They will e-mail u the paper work for u to fill out and then u to fax them back.one week before u have to send a copy of a cashier check to them. The driver will be waiting for u at the airport with your name on a sign, he will drive u to the clinic first person u see is Gloria front desk she will ask u for the paper work and the check, After that the nurse will call u and take u to get your blood and put the needle for the IV, u go back to the waiting room and wait a few more minutes

Then DR Miranda talks to u about nutrition and what u supposed to do after surgery, them u see another DR sorry forgot his name He will ask about your health history then u go for an EKG and back to the waiting room for a few more minutes, After the nurse takes u to your room where she tells u to take all your clothes an put the gown on and some paper underwear. The DRs will came in and talk to u about any question u may have ,then the nurse gives u a pill to put under your mouth to prepare u for surgery the meds really helps u relax ,Then u walk to the surgery room ,They put the Iv on and sweet dreams don’t remember anything else. Hope this helps with your journey. Good luck

Hi Yolanda,

I currently have a band, but I am scheduled for the plication procedure March 24th. I am also nervous because I don't know what they're going to find when they open me up, so to speak. At least as a "virgin" to weight loss surgery, yours will be much quicker! Also, I had my band with Dr. Ortiz, and they are really very good. My experience was like Lena's except I was so scared I almost said forget it. Then when they give you the "magic pill" under your tongue, you get so relaxed and the fear just evaporates--then you wake up and literally walk yourself to your room after surgery.

I just had plication with Dr. Ortiz on the 15th and they were very nice. I had some minor issues right after the surgery but I am doing much better now. I am down 14lbs in ten days, and while the process is not easy, I am hoping it will make me healthier in the long run. I was having the biggest freak out sessions right before my surgery but everything went well and it will for you too!

Welcome to the Plicater's.......I had my plication done Jan 27th, 2011 at OCC with Dr Ortiz. And with the exception of being out of it on surgery day, my challenges have been pretty usual. Initially you feel a lot of gas, because they sort of inflate you tummy area with gas to give them a clear vision for your surgery. All that gas has to come out, so it comes as burping or rooty-tooting. It can be presistant in the first 10-14 days and sporatic after that. The good news here is you have a legit reason for letting a few go right...............lol..........Everyone I've spoke to has gone through this. The other thing is each one of us have had lots if not most of the same feeling pre-op as you are and will experience, so just let them feelings hang out, we'll hold your hand through it all. I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone else whos had this surgery...we're here for you, to give you as much support as you need/want. And no question is too odd or seem silly to ask.......so ask away. You'll be joining us on the loser's bench very soon. Cheers, Katie

I can't thank you all enough!!! I guess it helps knowing that each of you have gone through not just the surgery but the battle that's lead up to it. I try to talk to my close friends or my sisters but they really don't 'get it' - I get that skeptical look or the comment that I just need to eat better or exercise more, as if I hadn't thought of that already. Plus they don't understand the self-consciousness of being overweight. Now I've encountered the 'shock and horror' look because I'm going to Mexico. Thank you all for being so kind - this is just what I needed. Thanks for welcoming me :)

Yolanda

Hi Yolanda, I think it's pretty common for family and friends to not understan a weight struggle unless they have been down that road, and even then, we each see ourselves in our world differently. I had my surgery Jan 27,2011 in TJ at the OCC. With all the times I'd been in the hospital, that had to be the cleanest hosptial setting I'd come across. The staff is professional as you would find in any large North American medical facility. They are there for their patients, and understand your nervousness and fears. We all have them. I guess I was a little more informed cause I have lived in Baja for a few years not that long ago, so I knew there were excellent facilities. In fact the most painfree root canal and then a crown put in while I was in LP(3 hours north of Cabo). So I wasn't nervous about the doctor I chose. I was nervous about just getting it done and over with. Once I had made the decision, I wanted it now like 'now'.....lol If yoyu have any questions, ww care here to support you. You know that old saying...no query too small or unimportant, if you're wondering about something, well then one of use will have had similar wonderings..so do ask...or vent...somedays ya just might need somewhere safe to vent. K:)

I would think not being nervous would make you down right strange, so good to know you have a pulse! I was so nervous. The best thing was getting off the plane and into the van and seeing someone from these boards that I recognized already in the van. I knew then that this was no sham and that people really do go to Mexico to get this surgery. I didn't feel nervous again until they took me back but they give you the happy pill under your tongue so quick you don't have time to feel nervous! Afterward I had a pretty bad reaction and was super sick for a few days and that also made me very nervous. I wanted to go back in and tell them to reverse it. Now I am glad that I didn't. I am 18 days out and have lost 17lbs. Almost a pound a day, not bad huh? Now, I just get nervous about long term problems but so far so good. Everything will be great for you!

Thanks everybody! Just a week away now... excited and nervous, now I'm more nervous about going alone. I don't really have anyone who could come with me, my best friend is going to be taking care of my kids for me. Hoping I'll get my pre op weight goal this week, I was at 7 lbs down as of Friday - I'm using our digital scale at work so I don't have any variation in weights. The liquid only thing really isn't that bad except when I'm around a bunch of people enjoying a meal - I would anticipate even that would be a little easier once I have the surgery. Right now my mind knows I have plenty of room for a plate full of food :) Not after next week!

Another question I thought of today... does anyone know what the medications are that I'll need to purchase down there? They just told me I had to buy some prescription meds but not specifically which ones...

Thanks!

Yolanda

Hi, I had plication on Oct 18 2010. If u go with Dr. Ortiz this is what is going to happen, They will e-mail u the paper work for u to fill out and then u to fax them back.one week before u have to send a copy of a cashier check to them. The driver will be waiting for u at the airport with your name on a sign, he will drive u to the clinic first person u see is Gloria front desk she will ask u for the paper work and the check, After that the nurse will call u and take u to get your blood and put the needle for the IV, u go back to the waiting room and wait a few more minutes

Then DR Miranda talks to u about nutrition and what u supposed to do after surgery, them u see another DR sorry forgot his name He will ask about your health history then u go for an EKG and back to the waiting room for a few more minutes, After the nurse takes u to your room where she tells u to take all your clothes an put the gown on and some paper underwear. The DRs will came in and talk to u about any question u may have ,then the nurse gives u a pill to put under your mouth to prepare u for surgery the meds really helps u relax ,Then u walk to the surgery room ,They put the Iv on and sweet dreams don’t remember anything else. Hope this helps with your journey. Good luck

Lena: Thanks so much for this information. I am scheduled for 4/18 so any update of what to expect is good for me.

Hi, Wow you're time is sooo close. The meds are different with each surgeon. I had a pain med, which I think I used once, some anti gas meds, and a med to help reduce the amount of stomach acid during the early weeks when you are on liquids ie, first clear liquids, then protein shakes and yogarts. The do help, I also took with me Gas-X strips which helped alot. Now I use Papaya Enzymes if I happen to get a gas now. Stay in touch and let us all know how you are doing, Cheers, Katie

Congrats on your decision for the plication. I am a Banded gal myself. Starting this journey, is very scary and exciting all at the same time.

I wish you lots of luck and look forward to hearing all about your experiences and progress. :)

Guest lena9800

Thanks everybody! Just a week away now... excited and nervous, now I'm more nervous about going alone. I don't really have anyone who could come with me, my best friend is going to be taking care of my kids for me. Hoping I'll get my pre op weight goal this week, I was at 7 lbs down as of Friday - I'm using our digital scale at work so I don't have any variation in weights. The liquid only thing really isn't that bad except when I'm around a bunch of people enjoying a meal - I would anticipate even that would be a little easier once I have the surgery. Right now my mind knows I have plenty of room for a plate full of food :) Not after next week!

Another question I thought of today... does anyone know what the medications are that I'll need to purchase down there? They just told me I had to buy some prescription meds but not specifically which ones...

Thanks!

Yolanda

Hello the meds are for two kinds one is a pain killer and the other one is a acid reflex they are $30 for both.