It takes more than Band adjustments to be successful

March 2011

Reprinted with permission from Synchrony Chicago Weight Loss.

Losing weight can be overwhelming. When weight loss is not happening, the first instinct to most band patients is to get their band tightened. That may be one of the ways to get on track, but it may take other lifestyle adjustments, also. Plan for weight loss the same way you would plan for any other life overhaul, such as marriage, having a baby, or starting a new career. Changing your life for the better deserves just as much of your attention as another huge life change.

-Decide what you want to accomplish, make a plan, and take action. Get up earlier so you are not rushed in the morning. Burns calories at least 3 times a week. Schedule down time for TV, reading, playing a game with the kids.

-If you are food logging (if you are not losing weight, you should food log), be honest about what you are logging. Realize that you may have withdrawal symptoms from sugar, salt, and fast food, and be prepared to deal with those feelings. Identify if you are night eating, or eating in secret.

-Give yourself credit. Deciding to have surgery, and going through with it, was a huge first step. Think of all of the other things that you have also achieved!

-Don’t let yourself make excuses. I’m busy, I will get around to it someday, My family likes junk food, It’s no big deal, I’m not working, I want to celebrate with my friends. These are all excuses. Real life is going to happen all around you all the time; you only need to be in control of you.

We see patients in need of weight loss every day. Some are in poor health, and wish they had done something earlier in life. We cannot do band surgery in an attempt to reverse cardiac damage-we can make the likelihood of another heart attack less, but we can’t take the past back. We can make diabetes go into remission, but we cannot restore vision or regenerate a limb lost to the effects of Diabetes. Most health problems are caused by, or linked to, obesity. Making good choices and taking care of you is a priority today. Someday is today!

March 2011

Reprinted with permission from Synchrony Chicago Weight Loss.

Losing weight can be overwhelming. When weight loss is not happening, the first instinct to most band patients is to get their band tightened. That may be one of the ways to get on track, but it may take other lifestyle adjustments, also. Plan for weight loss the same way you would plan for any other life overhaul, such as marriage, having a baby, or starting a new career. Changing your life for the better deserves just as much of your attention as another huge life change.

-Decide what you want to accomplish, make a plan, and take action. Get up earlier so you are not rushed in the morning. Burns calories at least 3 times a week. Schedule down time for TV, reading, playing a game with the kids.

-If you are food logging (if you are not losing weight, you should food log), be honest about what you are logging. Realize that you may have withdrawal symptoms from sugar, salt, and fast food, and be prepared to deal with those feelings. Identify if you are night eating, or eating in secret.

-Give yourself credit. Deciding to have surgery, and going through with it, was a huge first step. Think of all of the other things that you have also achieved!

-Don’t let yourself make excuses. I’m busy, I will get around to it someday, My family likes junk food, It’s no big deal, I’m not working, I want to celebrate with my friends. These are all excuses. Real life is going to happen all around you all the time; you only need to be in control of you.

We see patients in need of weight loss every day. Some are in poor health, and wish they had done something earlier in life. We cannot do band surgery in an attempt to reverse cardiac damage-we can make the likelihood of another heart attack less, but we can’t take the past back. We can make diabetes go into remission, but we cannot restore vision or regenerate a limb lost to the effects of Diabetes. Most health problems are caused by, or linked to, obesity. Making good choices and taking care of you is a priority today. Someday is today!

thank you for the post. I needed this kick in the pants.

I haven't posted on this forum for a long...long time. I was banded at OCC in Aug. of 08 and have since had abdomialplasty as well. No matter what I do I am still struggling with my addiction to carbs and sugar and have not had any significant weight loss. I am contemplating another adjustment but honestly I do have enough restriction to make me feel satisfied right now. I just don't know how to stop eating the cookies and chocolate to deal with the stress is my life. Work, marriage,family and money issues etc. all send me to the foods that I know will zone and numb my emotions out and they seem to slip through my band with no problem. I am from Canada and have no support system locally. I have had to drive to the US for fills in the past because the medical system here doesn't accommodate you if you are banded out of the country. So I guess what I am saying is that I am back here on this forum looking for help.

The reason I did not stay on this forum to begin with was that there was a definite religious tone to a lot of the posting and it turned me off. Sorry to be blunt. It's just the way I felt.

Thanks for listening.

I haven't posted on this forum for a long...long time. I was banded at OCC in Aug. of 08 and have since had abdomialplasty as well. No matter what I do I am still struggling with my addiction to carbs and sugar and have not had any significant weight loss. I am contemplating another adjustment but honestly I do have enough restriction to make me feel satisfied right now. I just don't know how to stop eating the cookies and chocolate to deal with the stress is my life. Work, marriage,family and money issues etc. all send me to the foods that I know will zone and numb my emotions out and they seem to slip through my band with no problem. I am from Canada and have no support system locally. I have had to drive to the US for fills in the past because the medical system here doesn't accommodate you if you are banded out of the country. So I guess what I am saying is that I am back here on this forum looking for help.

The reason I did not stay on this forum to begin with was that there was a definite religious tone to a lot of the posting and it turned me off. Sorry to be blunt. It's just the way I felt.

Thanks for listening.

Hey, Welcome back!

Hey Kim,

I'm a total sugar/carb addict and used it to help mask things - finally realized that what I was doing was creating a downward spiral. I was a binge eater and used the sugar and carbs to mask things and make me feel better - and they were like a drug - I kept needing more and more to stabilize.

Here's some good information:

http://www.coping-with-binge-eating.com/blood-sugar.html

I did a lot of self education and finally went through a program that really helped me understand what to eat. I had to go for 30 days without sugar, carbs, coffee (caffeine), flour, milk - only organic meat, fruits, veggies. No juice - those drugs addicts on the MTV show had nothing on me - I went through ugly withdraws. I couldn’t sleep, felt horrible and ill. I can’t believe I made it through. After the 30 days I slowly added back in organic milk, sugars (small amount) flour etc. I stay pretty true, I do still have my sweets but they are my treats and are manageable. In other words I don’t need them to make me feel better, I actually use exercise now (endorphins are my friends). It pretty much takes 90 days to truly make a difference – it helps your mental attitude as well as your physical form. But I’m not going to lie – its hard as hell. If you truly want to change – you might try this – prepare your mind as well as your cupboards and warn your loved ones and friends alike. (Enemies are open game….)

Anyhow, I’m not sure – but you sound a lot like me – and it took something this drastic for me to make a true change. I couldn’t have done it without my band – however as we all know its just a tool and we own with how we make it work for us.

Good luck!

Lisa

So So true. After a year of being too tight. I'm starting to lose after working with the triggers that make me want to eat the wrong foods and too much of them. I've had my band unfilled which has helped and now can eat more but I'm working with the band... not against it. I'm using food as fuel and being much more active.

I love my band

Hey Kim,

I'm a total sugar/carb addict and used it to help mask things - finally realized that what I was doing was creating a downward spiral. I was a binge eater and used the sugar and carbs to mask things and make me feel better - and they were like a drug - I kept needing more and more to stabilize.

Here's some good information:

http://www.coping-with-binge-eating.com/blood-sugar.html

I did a lot of self education and finally went through a program that really helped me understand what to eat. I had to go for 30 days without sugar, carbs, coffee (caffeine), flour, milk - only organic meat, fruits, veggies. No juice - those drugs addicts on the MTV show had nothing on me - I went through ugly withdraws. I couldn’t sleep, felt horrible and ill. I can’t believe I made it through. After the 30 days I slowly added back in organic milk, sugars (small amount) flour etc. I stay pretty true, I do still have my sweets but they are my treats and are manageable. In other words I don’t need them to make me feel better, I actually use exercise now (endorphins are my friends). It pretty much takes 90 days to truly make a difference – it helps your mental attitude as well as your physical form. But I’m not going to lie – its hard as hell. If you truly want to change – you might try this – prepare your mind as well as your cupboards and warn your loved ones and friends alike. (Enemies are open game….)

Anyhow, I’m not sure – but you sound a lot like me – and it took something this drastic for me to make a true change. I couldn’t have done it without my band – however as we all know its just a tool and we own with how we make it work for us.

Good luck!

Lisa

Great article!!!