Another question - what to do about food (liquids) while there waiting for surgery... and after???

I was hoping to just travel light and not have to check any bags so I don't want to drag the shakes and broth etc with me - what did ya'll do for meal time? Want to be prepared and know what to bring - leaving Sunday and can't believe its time!

I was hoping to just travel light and not have to check any bags so I don't want to drag the shakes and broth etc with me - what did ya'll do for meal time? Want to be prepared and know what to bring - leaving Sunday and can't believe its time!

If you are staying at the Marriott, they provide clear broth and popsicles for OCC patrons. There are also restaurants near by that will let you order broth. There is also a grocery store within walking distance (a Mexican one and a walmart)

Hope that helps

Hi Congratz on your up coming surgery. Had mine Jan 27,2011. I took a small'ish thermos and I was so happy I did. When I was at the Marriot, the afternoon/evening broth was excellant, but the morning stuff looked like cloudy dish water with some chicken fat floating on top. Yes, I have mentionned it to OCC, so maybe it's improved. With the thermos, the restaurant would fill it up for me at night(after having boiling water in for 5 minutes) and it stayed hot till the next afternoon. The other thing I took was a couple of cup a soups, I didn't ended up using them thanks to the thermos, but the other 2 gals who were there at the same time loved them. From this forum, I found a suggestion to take some Gas-X strips, and I was glad I took them too. I also found out that when you go through airport secuirty, if you declare the full thermos, and tell them you can only eat this and must have ti frequently, they let you take it with you. I had asked for help from the airline and was in a wheel chair and it was the porter who told me I could do this and how to do. Hope this helps....

Hi Congratz on your up coming surgery. Had mine Jan 27,2011. I took a small'ish thermos and I was so happy I did. When I was at the Marriot, the afternoon/evening broth was excellant, but the morning stuff looked like cloudy dish water with some chicken fat floating on top. Yes, I have mentionned it to OCC, so maybe it's improved. With the thermos, the restaurant would fill it up for me at night(after having boiling water in for 5 minutes) and it stayed hot till the next afternoon. The other thing I took was a couple of cup a soups, I didn't ended up using them thanks to the thermos, but the other 2 gals who were there at the same time loved them. From this forum, I found a suggestion to take some Gas-X strips, and I was glad I took them too. I also found out that when you go through airport secuirty, if you declare the full thermos, and tell them you can only eat this and must have ti frequently, they let you take it with you. I had asked for help from the airline and was in a wheel chair and it was the porter who told me I could do this and how to do. Hope this helps....

Oh my gosh, this is so informative, I had not even thought about what to do for myself in after care such as the thermos idea. I feel I'm finally finding all the info I need to be prepared for the trip.

Thermos

Cups of soup

Gas X strips

Anything else?

Thank you!

Feather

Hi Feather,

The one thing I was glad I took was comfortable walking shoes, in my case a real comforty sandel, cause waking is a really good way of releasing the gas one ends up after surgery. I also found out warm liquids are far easier to drink that cold ones, so I took a few bags of my fav tea. The Marriot doesn't have a micro but they do have a coffee maker which did quite well. Also us OCC patients get room service for our meals.......if you can call chicken broth meals. Actually I didn't feel hungry at all, even now I need to watch to not miss a meal cause hungry doesn't strike me like it use to, I was a grazer and that's gone. Also, avoid drinking of any sort for at least 30 minutes before you lie down, otherwise the gas is uncomfortable. Later the sort of golden rule is no drinking anything within 30 minutes of eating. To do so means major gas stitches. I didn't gave surgery pain, I had some soreness, but nothing to wirte home about. Unless you don't mind artificial sweeteners, then you can have the popcicles at the hotel. Personally I found them gross. Walmart is only a few blocks from the hotel, and they have Vitamin drinks etc, but warning, if you're going to pay cash, you will need Pesos cause they don't take US dollars, but they do take credit cards. If you want to use cash, your bank will be able to get some Mexican Pesos before yiou leave. I also to some sugarfree hard candies cause dry mouth comes with the territory of surgery, Hall cough drops are also helpful for any sore throat or dry mouth. If you have any questions, do ask...everything you're thinking and feeling, we've been there too, so we do know how you are feeling. When did you say your surgery was??? Cheers, Katie

Hi Feather,

The one thing I was glad I took was comfortable walking shoes, in my case a real comforty sandel, cause waking is a really good way of releasing the gas one ends up after surgery. I also found out warm liquids are far easier to drink that cold ones, so I took a few bags of my fav tea. The Marriot doesn't have a micro but they do have a coffee maker which did quite well. Also us OCC patients get room service for our meals.......if you can call chicken broth meals. Actually I didn't feel hungry at all, even now I need to watch to not miss a meal cause hungry doesn't strike me like it use to, I was a grazer and that's gone. Also, avoid drinking of any sort for at least 30 minutes before you lie down, otherwise the gas is uncomfortable. Later the sort of golden rule is no drinking anything within 30 minutes of eating. To do so means major gas stitches. I didn't gave surgery pain, I had some soreness, but nothing to wirte home about. Unless you don't mind artificial sweeteners, then you can have the popcicles at the hotel. Personally I found them gross. Walmart is only a few blocks from the hotel, and they have Vitamin drinks etc, but warning, if you're going to pay cash, you will need Pesos cause they don't take US dollars, but they do take credit cards. If you want to use cash, your bank will be able to get some Mexican Pesos before yiou leave. I also to some sugarfree hard candies cause dry mouth comes with the territory of surgery, Hall cough drops are also helpful for any sore throat or dry mouth. If you have any questions, do ask...everything you're thinking and feeling, we've been there too, so we do know how you are feeling. When did you say your surgery was??? Cheers, Katie

I agree, good walking shoes are a must. The sidewalks are horrendously uneven,broken pavement. Also, I did not have any problems using U.S.money at the Walmart but I was only at the pharmacy. However, I did use U.S. money at the grocery store across from Wal Mart with no issue.