Pain under right breast

Ok, I am new to this website, but I had the Gastric Plication done on March 17th as a result of a badly infected lap band. I had my lap band procedure done in 2008 and only loss 60 or so pounds. The last time I was able to even feel a little restriction was last year around May. From May 2010 until March 2011, I was all on my own. I worked out like an addict but I lost absolutely no weight, in fact, I gained weight over the holidays. I gained close to 20 pounds. Yep, 20 pounds. My doctor finally decided to go in to take a look after, I had already been hospitilized for esophageal spasms. He saw that I had developed a nasty infection around the band and decided to take the band out and do the gastric plication. Since the plication, I have lost about 20 pounds, and I am happy with that. However, within the last week I have developed this pain under my right breast. This pain feels like a balloon that is going to burst if I inhale too deeply. I have been trying to do some research but I can't seem to find anything that can tell me what this is. I have read a couple of postings that seem to point to gallbladder issues, but God I hope that is not what I am experiencing. I even thought that maybe I torn some of the suturing but I don't think my stomach is located near the place where I am expericing this pain., Please share with me if you have felt this pain.

Also, I'm reading about so many disappointed Plication outcomes. Are there any happy campers out there that care to share?

Thanks Lindsay. I think I will, at first I thought it was gas, but it is not moving. Have you had any complications at all?

I could be gas, but why even guess :)

I've had no complications with my band, and it's completely changed my life. I think I'm one of the lucky ones, though. Everyday I think about how lucky I am I've had no issues with the band.

There is room for error in all of these procedures, in terms of not eating properly, not exercising, etc .. and then, having your body reject whatever it is that's being done -something you have NO control over.

Hi...............plication Jan 27, 2011 and yes in the beginning had that pressure feeling under my breast bone after I ate...............spoke to the nuturtist at OCC.....it's gas.....so that's when I started chewing Papaya Enzyme. Delish and breaks up that gas...............it would happen and still does when I eat as little of a tablespoon more than full. So I slowed down my eating, so I could feel that full sensation before I reach that over full feeling leading to that gas under my breast bone. Check with your surgeon, so you know what's happening with you. I'm happy I had plication for me it works. I wrote a post under another topic on why I think my weight loss has kept up. Maybe chick on my name to take you to that post. Cheers, Kt

Hi...............plication Jan 27, 2011 and yes in the beginning had that pressure feeling under my breast bone after I ate...............spoke to the nuturtist at OCC.....it's gas.....so that's when I started chewing Papaya Enzyme. Delish and breaks up that gas...............it would happen and still does when I eat as little of a tablespoon more than full. So I slowed down my eating, so I could feel that full sensation before I reach that over full feeling leading to that gas under my breast bone. Check with your surgeon, so you know what's happening with you. I'm happy I had plication for me it works. I wrote a post under another topic on why I think my weight loss has kept up. Maybe chick on my name to take you to that post. Cheers, Kt

30 days after surgery, it's gas?

Yup Lindsay, you betcha........as I think I mentioned it happens now if I happen to not listen to my body and eat a bit too much. Getting far better at knowing when I'm full........measuring my food/or weighing it helps a lot. I double checked with the nutritionist thinking I should be long past that..............apparently not, it can also be a way my body is telling me I've eaten a bit too much and maybe my gauge....but what I have noticed is my nose starts to run when I'm getting close to being full. The breast bone thing started to subside about the time my nose started to run as I was getting close to the end of my measured food. Haven't heard of the nose running thing, so might not be related, who knows. I do know any changes to the body say after WLS take the body a few months(up to a year) to adjust to the changes, per nuturtist.......And yup, I do keep in constant contact with her cause i don't know personally anyone who has had WLS. Oh and thanks for answering the question about not loosing a bunch of weight but clothes have become so big needed to down grade size...............something I had such a great time doing last week end while I was in the States. K:):)

I had my plication on March 9th. I did have gas pain but that was pain in my shoulders and I haven't had any gas pain after the first week.

I also had gall-bladder issues since I was 14 and had my gall-bladder out 4 years ago at the age of 30. So, gall-bladder pain is often (but not always) triggered by something you ate. Often something fatty. Though when my gall-bladder was at it's worst, before I had it removed, it was chronic and very painful. It usually starts out as a weaker pain behind your right ribs and then intensifies until you think it couldn't get any worse, and then gradually lessens and the attack ends. It often means a trip to the ER because the pain can be so debilitating. It can take 12 hours and the area is often tender to the touch after for a couple of days. I am not sure if this is what you are experiencing or not.

Now, I have been having some discomfort since my plication under my right breast area in the same generally area as my gall-bladder. It is worse when my stomach is empty. It is a strange sensation (which I could compare to a 'gas like" feeling). I have had some nausea as well. This morning I had this sensation and also sick to my stomach and had to take a couple of gravol. I have been thinking that the pain might be reflux. I had a similar pain before (though not quite the same) and my doctor said I had GERD and gave me some acid reducers.

You should get it checked out but it might be reflux caused by the procedure. This is what I think it is for me but I will talk to my doctor again when I see him.

Good luck. So for I have lost 15 pounds in 4 1/2 weeks. I have seen a lot of unhappy people with the plication too. I hope you have a good experience.

Sarah

Yup Lindsay, you betcha........as I think I mentioned it happens now if I happen to not listen to my body and eat a bit too much. Getting far better at knowing when I'm full........measuring my food/or weighing it helps a lot. I double checked with the nutritionist thinking I should be long past that..............apparently not, it can also be a way my body is telling me I've eaten a bit too much and maybe my gauge....but what I have noticed is my nose starts to run when I'm getting close to being full. The breast bone thing started to subside about the time my nose started to run as I was getting close to the end of my measured food. Haven't heard of the nose running thing, so might not be related, who knows. I do know any changes to the body say after WLS take the body a few months(up to a year) to adjust to the changes, per nuturtist.......And yup, I do keep in constant contact with her cause i don't know personally anyone who has had WLS. Oh and thanks for answering the question about not loosing a bunch of weight but clothes have become so big needed to down grade size...............something I had such a great time doing last week end while I was in the States. K:):)

my soft stop is sneezing so the nose running thing resonates with me. I know now that it used to happen when I would gorge myself and never knew why. What is really interesting is I remember my father having the same signal but not knowing what caused it.

The runny nose is caused from an increase of blood flow.

It's from the Vagus nerve ..

Some experience sneezing or hiccups if they eat a bite too much. Both are actions inextricably bound to Vagus nerve signals. Many people get a "runny nose" with one bite too many.

The runny nose is caused from an increase of blood flow.

It's from the Vagus nerve ..

Some experience sneezing or hiccups if they eat a bite too much. Both are actions inextricably bound to Vagus nerve signals. Many people get a "runny nose" with one bite too many.

I either get the runny nose or the hiccups. Sometimes both!