Post surgery eating tips and ideas for plicators

Hi, Okay doing by request.........sure hope there are a bunch of other plicators who will post their ideas, tips on post surgical eating. Things that worked for you and things that didn't work for you.

I had forgotten that first 3 weeks until it was mentioned by another plicator I too, wasnt hungry in the first 2 weeks. I found the Campbells soups variety called Gardennay........all creamy soups and I loved them, Wild Mushroom being my fav. No need to add water, or milk, just heat and serve. The only protein shake I can tolerate is the Slim Fast brand, the rest, well, I end up tossing it almost right away. The protein power shots didnt even make it part way down, for me they were the worst.

My first meal was 2T of mashed potatoes and 2T of poached salmon...............I remember it as being the best thing I remembered eating in a very long time. Salmon, white chicken and white turkey are my proteins of choice, esp salmon. It can be found in 4oz frozen fillets, dont' have to thaw them, just pop them in the micro for 2.5 minutes...totally yummy Also Jenno O does frozen turkey patties and meatballs both using white meat. Lifesavers cause I live alone and planning meals are not my strong point.

Okay plicators.......we need your tips and ideas

I had a difficult time tolerating anything except gatorade in the beginning weeks. I have not had perfect eating habits but I have discovered greek yogurt and I love it. Very high in protein, low in calories and is great with raspberries (I buy then frozen) and sweetener. I have been having a lot of pain from reflux and I need to have something in my stomach when that happens. The yogurt helps a lot. I like to eat it before I go to bed.

It's strange. Today I was struggling with wanting to eat more than my stomach can handle. I had a bit of discomfort. It's a real learning curve to know that perfect amount of food to satisfy my physical hunger and also my emotional hunger.

Best of Luck.

I guess that the most important thing to remember is Everyone is Different and we are experiencing this WLS recovery in different ways.

I had my plication March 16th, I'm still easing into eating soft foods, I had to ease into eating cream soups, too.

I'm trying to eat six small meals in order to keep my metabolism going. I measure my cottage cheese and applesauce. I also have been trying to get in the water, not too successful but I'm trying.

I stop eating before I'm full, I can feel the point where if I take one more bite I will be too full. I don't want to have the same eating habits as before I had the surgery. I think we all have emotional eating habits because of our own personal story. The surgery doesn't take the emotions away, the surgery is making me more aware of them. I think we have to be aware of all this in order for the surgery to work.

And, everyone's progress is going to be different. We have shocked the heck out of our bodies, we have added stress to it, too. In my case, I've been carrying around at least 50 lbs I don't need. I try to pick up a 50 lb bag of horse feed, this was before surgery, and realize this is what my body is carrying around. Fifty lbs of anything is heavy. I think we have to give our bodies a break and listen to it so it can get better. I think we all should lighten up a little before we say the WLS is not helping.

Sharon

Well said Sharon, coundn't agree with you more..........................mine for today is remember food and a liquid don't mix, least not within 30 minutes of each other.........isn't this called the Golden Rule or something like that......anyhoo..... For me, that includes my very fav home made Veggie beaf barley soup, I ate it once just scooping it out of the pot..........and will not do that one again..now my soups and slotted spoon are well aquainted. Ok..... I know that one woulda seemed obvious, I occassionally missed the obvious.

Oh, one other thing I need to constantly remind myself of is those non scale victories.

Some things I have found......Jenno O White meat Turkey patties and frozen turkey meatballs..............poached salmon with a dill sause made of plain yogart and dry dill, ..delish.....baked squash with any white meat.....makes it not too dry...........melba toast, spread canned salmon, add diced onion and fat free mayo..with stawberries...a regular for breakfast....which for me is usually about 11am, can't seem to eat before that.......chilli with ground turkey...I look for things that I can make fast either in micro or broiled in toaster oven.......living alone makes eating at the usual times challenging.......having to re-learn how to eat, so accustom to eating on the run or frozen meals.........I do keep a few a Lean Cuisine in case I have not planned at all.............again planning is a challenge.

• 8 months later...

I have found that the softer foods sit better for me. I am almost three months since surgery and I still cannot comfortably eat beef or red meats unless they are soft, like meatballs. Soups and softer foods are my foods of choice. Does anyone eat salad? I have such a hard time with the raw veggies. I am glad someone reminded me about chewing. When I chew my food alot, it feels better. Also I try to remember to put my fork down between bites and pay attention to each bite. That has helped me get in better touch with when I have had enough while giving me an opportunity to enjoy what I am eating.