FYI - Important Change In International Travel Requirements

Hi Kev,

Thanks for posting the info Kevin. We will soon have that information on our website so new patients will know they may need a passport by December of 2007. I'm still not convinced this will actually be implemented. Mexico doesn't require a passport to enter, and i'm not sure the U.S. will really require a passport to re-enter the U.S. from Mexico... so we'll watch and see and keep you posted :)

Hi Kev,

Thanks for posting the info Kevin. We will soon have that information on our website so new patients will know they may need a passport by December of 2007. I'm still not convinced this will actually be implemented. Mexico doesn't require a passport to enter, and i'm not sure the U.S. will really require a passport to re-enter the U.S. from Mexico... so we'll watch and see and keep you posted :)

Hi Lori!

With these new regs coming into effect at least by Jan. 1, 2008 for land travel across border, There may be a backlog of those wanting to get passports. I travel a bit so I am set. But for those having surgery in 2007 they may want to get in early and get a passport for those return fills in 2008. You may even want to add a place on the patient information sheet that is sent in before surgery with the type of I.D. that the client will use to cross border into U.S. or a place where they place their passport number and expiration date. When we cruise they ask for it and if OCC is transporting clients into U.S. none of the OCC drivers will run into surprises :o . Just a thought.

Hi Kev,

I am quite sure this will be implemented.

The last couple of times I entered Canada (about 18 months ago) I was hassled about not having a passport (It was in process of being renewed). On the first trip, I entered with no problem, but upon returning a US immigration agent gave me the third degree.

The next trip, it was the Canadians that hassled me. "Sir, you do realize you are at an international border, right?" Umm, duh. I was required to fill out some paper work, subjected to a vehicle search, then warned "we will let you in, but we cannot guarantee you will be allowed to re-enter the US." However, I was allowed to re-enter with no problem, by stating "My passport is currently being renewed."

Also, I prefer to have a passport for any short notice trips to Europe I may make. Last time I went to Europe for holiday, it was with 10 days notice! Being it takes 4-6 weeks to get a passport, I like the freedom of being able to leave the US on a whim.

Lastly, a Passport is the best ID (in addition to a Drivers License) a US citizen can have. For example, when you get a new employer, and must complete an I-9 form, a Passport is the only ID required. Without a passport, you must dig out a SS card, or a birth certificate, in addition to a state issued photo ID.

In fact, a Passport is accepted as valid ID even if expired. To me, it is a no-brainer to hold one.