Need Honest Feedback

Hello All,

I am looking for experiences from previous patients who have gotten the Gastric Plication surgery. How do you feel now? Is there anything that you regret? Has there been any complication or discomfort that you were or were not aware of beforehand? How were you treated all along the way, by the staff, the doctors, and the hotel?

I'm looking for honest references, the good, the bad and the ugly so that I can make a thoroughly informed decision.

Please either post here, or email me directly at Kellyinpdx@gmail.com. My surgery is scheduled for June 8, 2011.

Thank you so much!!

Kelly

Guest lena9800

Hi I had plication on Oct.2010

Well let star with the Occ it is not a hospital it's a clinic very clean

And the staff are all super nice and sweet people

The Dr.s are all professional and better than the ones here in the USA

The hotel staff extrimely nice. The view not so nice And a lot of constrution

I stayed at the Radisson

The ugly:I only lost 20 pounds in 7 month's and I have huge bold spots in my head do to

tons of hair loss.I call the Occ about my weight and they told me that I have to go back to

do it again.Don't know at else to tell you.Better luck to you.

Hi Kelly. I had my plication done at OCC on January 27th. My weight has gone from 211 to 174.? in the last almost 4 months. I have had a stall, or as most know it a plateau..............so I just recently went back to the basics............640z of water a day min, protein to be eaten first, measure my portions rather than visually trying to guess. Snacks need to be a protein, or say a light veggie, or unsalted almonds. I have come to realize plication like any WLS is really only part of the picture....................it provides a tool .......then it's up to me to either chose to use the tool wisely or not. The latter doesn't help me at all. I also was not exercising regularly...................so no buring up those calories I carry around in the form of extra weight. I chose this type of WLS because it fit my life style. Meaning I travel alot, and often to places where there is no place to have fills for a band. If I were to do it again I would still chose plication.............or if I had more weight to loose then I would have gone with the Sleeve. My goal weight in in the mid 140's so in reality I am more than half way there. I think if I had a lot more weight ot loss say 100+ pounds, I might have gone with the Sleev. At this point it's only a guess cause that wasn't how it was. I have lost hair too, and I didn't have any extra hair to loose...............fine thin hair from birth. So I started taking 10mg of Biotin, 10,000+D3 plus using Rogaine drops, 5%.........yup the stronger strength.....................I can buy it over the counter in the States. So although I live in Canada, I'm about 40 min. to a Walmart in Bellingham, Wash. I saw a demertologist and she recommmed these 3 things to deal with hair loss. She did tell me it takes about a year for all these things to show results.....................so I keep doing these things even tho the results are way down the road. Hey sort of like loosing weigh...........ya do the things ya need to do........then somewhere down the road it all comes together..............................OCC is a great place to have surgery. Clean, Professional, and patient care is foremost. Maybe this might help you. K:)

Hi Kelly,

My name is Teresa I had my gastric plication surgery on March 29 2011. So far I have lost 36 pounds. I know if I was to be exercising I would be down even more.

But I have not started a regular exercise routine yet.No real reason why I haven't acutally I have just been busy with dayhome and stuff. After I had my surgery I was feeling great the following day I went back to our hotel room and rested for the rest of the day. The

only side affect I had was nausea for a few days and some heart burn ( which I never had before ) I still to this day get heartburn but mostly at night so I sleep

with 2 pillows as to the one. The meds they give for heartburn really work well.As th the other posts who state they have had hair loss I have not experienced that at all.

I am very happy that I had the surgery and no regrets. The hospital and staff are very nice. We stayed at the Lucerna hotel and it was very nice our room was on the 6th floor and

the veiw was beautiful . The staff at the Lucerna were pleasant and helpful. Our whole experience through this was great I am happy I booked the surgery and so is my husband .

I would recommend this procedure and the OCC to anyone looking to better there life through weightloss. I feel great I have no other problems from the surgery and I have so far dropped 5 sizes and plan to go down even more .So I wish you all the best when you go for your surgery next month I know you won't regret it. Just rememder the nausea lasts only a day or two

and they say to walk as much as you can and it will help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I had plication on Oct.2010

Well let star with the Occ it is not a hospital it's a clinic very clean

And the staff are all super nice and sweet people

The Dr.s are all professional and better than the ones here in the USA

The hotel staff extrimely nice. The view not so nice And a lot of constrution

I stayed at the Radisson

The ugly:I only lost 20 pounds in 7 month's and I have huge bold spots in my head do to

tons of hair loss.I call the Occ about my weight and they told me that I have to go back to

do it again.Don't know at else to tell you.Better luck to you.

Thanks for the feedback Marie. I wonder what the hair loss is about? Do you think it is from a lack of nutrition? -Kelly

Hi Kelly. I had my plication done at OCC on January 27th. My weight has gone from 211 to 174.? in the last almost 4 months. I have had a stall, or as most know it a plateau..............so I just recently went back to the basics............640z of water a day min, protein to be eaten first, measure my portions rather than visually trying to guess. Snacks need to be a protein, or say a light veggie, or unsalted almonds. I have come to realize plication like any WLS is really only part of the picture....................it provides a tool .......then it's up to me to either chose to use the tool wisely or not. The latter doesn't help me at all. I also was not exercising regularly...................so no buring up those calories I carry around in the form of extra weight. I chose this type of WLS because it fit my life style. Meaning I travel alot, and often to places where there is no place to have fills for a band. If I were to do it again I would still chose plication.............or if I had more weight to loose then I would have gone with the Sleeve. My goal weight in in the mid 140's so in reality I am more than half way there. I think if I had a lot more weight ot loss say 100+ pounds, I might have gone with the Sleev. At this point it's only a guess cause that wasn't how it was. I have lost hair too, and I didn't have any extra hair to loose...............fine thin hair from birth. So I started taking 10mg of Biotin, 10,000+D3 plus using Rogaine drops, 5%.........yup the stronger strength.....................I can buy it over the counter in the States. So although I live in Canada, I'm about 40 min. to a Walmart in Bellingham, Wash. I saw a demertologist and she recommmed these 3 things to deal with hair loss. She did tell me it takes about a year for all these things to show results.....................so I keep doing these things even tho the results are way down the road. Hey sort of like loosing weigh...........ya do the things ya need to do........then somewhere down the road it all comes together..............................OCC is a great place to have surgery. Clean, Professional, and patient care is foremost. Maybe this might help you. K:)

Wow, the hair loss thing is an issue. I have a lot of hair and only went through hair loss when my Thyroid burned out. But once I got on medication and adjusted my diet it all grew back. Are you hungry at all? Were you able to function normally within a few days of the surgery? -Kelly

Hi Kelly,

My name is Teresa I had my gastric plication surgery on March 29 2011. So far I have lost 36 pounds. I know if I was to be exercising I would be down even more.

But I have not started a regular exercise routine yet.No real reason why I haven't acutally I have just been busy with dayhome and stuff. After I had my surgery I was feeling great the following day I went back to our hotel room and rested for the rest of the day. The

only side affect I had was nausea for a few days and some heart burn ( which I never had before ) I still to this day get heartburn but mostly at night so I sleep

with 2 pillows as to the one. The meds they give for heartburn really work well.As th the other posts who state they have had hair loss I have not experienced that at all.

I am very happy that I had the surgery and no regrets. The hospital and staff are very nice. We stayed at the Lucerna hotel and it was very nice our room was on the 6th floor and

the veiw was beautiful . The staff at the Lucerna were pleasant and helpful. Our whole experience through this was great I am happy I booked the surgery and so is my husband .

I would recommend this procedure and the OCC to anyone looking to better there life through weightloss. I feel great I have no other problems from the surgery and I have so far dropped 5 sizes and plan to go down even more .So I wish you all the best when you go for your surgery next month I know you won't regret it. Just rememder the nausea lasts only a day or two

and they say to walk as much as you can and it will help.

Hi Theresa! Thank you for your feedback! My son is going to meet me in San Diego a few days after the surgery (he's in the military and is not allowed in Tijuana, otherwise he wanted to be with me for the surgery). We are going to visit friends and family in San Diego for a few more days and then come back to Portland. I hope I'm not being overly ambitious, but from what I have read, people are back to normal functions within a few days (other than heartburn, nausea, etc). What do you think? Is it silly of me to plan a vacation around this???? :wacko:

Hi, After my plication in Jan, we spent 5 days in San Diego, that included a day at the zoo(I did take the bus tour), shopping and walking around Little Italy. Our hotel was close to little Italy. I had lots of energy, although I was careful to drink lots of fluids. Enjoy your vacation! K:)

• Like 1