considering lap band

Hello, I am new to the site, I am 28 and my name is Kristie. I have struggled with weight most of my life. I was over weight by junior high, obese by high school and I am now considered morbidly obese but hovering dangerously close to super obese (under 20 pounds away from a BMI over 50). I have tried diets, pills, starvation even. No matter what I do I can't get below 280. I watch my kids play but don't have the energy to join in, I feel like they are growing up without me and it breaks my heart. I have been mulling over the idea of lap-band surgery for some time now but wanted to avoid surgery if I could. It has become blatantly apparent the I need the surgery. My weight is more of a risk to my health and safety than it ever has been. I have sustained weight related injuries multiple times in the last few months, I have a family history of heart problems (young) and I feel like I am sitting in the middle of an oven hoping I don't get burnt. I want to make it blatantly clear I have no desire to be "skinny", IMHO skinny is over rated. I want to be healthy, I want to play with my kids while they are still young enough to want to, I want to grow old and play with my grandbabies, I want to have the energy I haven't had in a very long time and I want to enjoy all the things I always wanted to but couldn't because of my weight. I know if I could just get the surgery it would work for me, not just because I am determined but because I see it for what it is, a tool NOT a quick fix. I believe I am a good candidate for surgery but I feel I may never see the day that all the wonderful things I mentioned will come to pass. Why? Because my insurance won't touch the surgery, regardless of how badly you need it. There in no foreseeable way for us to come up with $23000 and my credit is non-existent due to nobody being willing to take a chance on me. DH and I are buying a home but for whatever reason they are not reporting to the credit bureau, so that isn't even helping. Due to my lack of established credit, carecredit.com and several others have denied me financing. It would be one thing if I wanted to finance a nose job but this is my LIFE and I can get NO ONE to extend a helping hand. I feel defeated all over again but this time its so much more than after all the failed attempts at weight loss because I look at my history then I look at my future and what I see isn't pretty. I see myself getting bigger and bigger until my heart gives out at the ripe old age of 40 (the age of my mothers first heart attack... and she is so much smaller than me that its scary, about 100 pounds smaller).

Can someone please point me in the right direction for help, if such a thing exists? are there such things as grants for this type of thing? I am a college student and its all we can do just to pay our bills month to month and get the kids the things they need.$23,000 might a well be a million if we have to pay for this out of pocket because we will never come up with it. Any help would be appreciated!

Hello, I am new to the site, I am 28 and my name is Kristie. I have struggled with weight most of my life. I was over weight by junior high, obese by high school and I am now considered morbidly obese but hovering dangerously close to super obese (under 20 pounds away from a BMI over 50). I have tried diets, pills, starvation even. No matter what I do I can't get below 280. I watch my kids play but don't have the energy to join in, I feel like they are growing up without me and it breaks my heart. I have been mulling over the idea of lap-band surgery for some time now but wanted to avoid surgery if I could. It has become blatantly apparent the I need the surgery. My weight is more of a risk to my health and safety than it ever has been. I have sustained weight related injuries multiple times in the last few months, I have a family history of heart problems (young) and I feel like I am sitting in the middle of an oven hoping I don't get burnt. I want to make it blatantly clear I have no desire to be "skinny", IMHO skinny is over rated. I want to be healthy, I want to play with my kids while they are still young enough to want to, I want to grow old and play with my grandbabies, I want to have the energy I haven't had in a very long time and I want to enjoy all the things I always wanted to but couldn't because of my weight. I know if I could just get the surgery it would work for me, not just because I am determined but because I see it for what it is, a tool NOT a quick fix. I believe I am a good candidate for surgery but I feel I may never see the day that all the wonderful things I mentioned will come to pass. Why? Because my insurance won't touch the surgery, regardless of how badly you need it. There in no foreseeable way for us to come up with $23000 and my credit is non-existent due to nobody being willing to take a chance on me. DH and I are buying a home but for whatever reason they are not reporting to the credit bureau, so that isn't even helping. Due to my lack of established credit, carecredit.com and several others have denied me financing. It would be one thing if I wanted to finance a nose job but this is my LIFE and I can get NO ONE to extend a helping hand. I feel defeated all over again but this time its so much more than after all the failed attempts at weight loss because I look at my history then I look at my future and what I see isn't pretty. I see myself getting bigger and bigger until my heart gives out at the ripe old age of 40 (the age of my mothers first heart attack... and she is so much smaller than me that its scary, about 100 pounds smaller).

Can someone please point me in the right direction for help, if such a thing exists? are there such things as grants for this type of thing? I am a college student and its all we can do just to pay our bills month to month and get the kids the things they need.$23,000 might a well be a million if we have to pay for this out of pocket because we will never come up with it. Any help would be appreciated!

I think your on the right track as far as you know you need to do something about your weight. As far as it costing $23000? I'd take a serious look at coming to the OCC. Number one, their ranked as one of the worlds best in WLS, Number two, sure isn't $23000, not even close. Call the OCC and talk to one of the coordinators.

I think your on the right track as far as you know you need to do something about your weight. As far as it costing $23000? I'd take a serious look at coming to the OCC. Number one, their ranked as one of the worlds best in WLS, Number two, sure isn't $23000, not even close. Call the OCC and talk to one of the coordinators.

I fond that number on a site showing averages. I have asked for info, but I have not yet been contacted. I am figuring they are busy so just trying to give them time. I may call Thursday if I don't hear anything b4 then. I am in no hurry, at this point I am not sure I will ever be able to afford the operation and whats a couple days?

I fond that number on a site showing averages. I have asked for info, but I have not yet been contacted. I am figuring they are busy so just trying to give them time. I may call Thursday if I don't hear anything b4 then. I am in no hurry, at this point I am not sure I will ever be able to afford the operation and whats a couple days?

Lori, one of the OCC coordinators just had Plastic Surgery down at the OCC. They may be a little behind in answering the contact requests. If you don't hear back soon, call,, her phone number is 1-866-376-7849 ext 81.

Hi Kristie,

hard to know who is who on here, but we show that we spoke with a Kristie yesterday for a contact form filled out yesterday... if that wasn't you, it may be that your form didn't come through correctly. You can email me lori@obesitycontrolcenter.com for more info or call me at 1-866-376-7849 ext. 81 and I would be happy to assist you!

I was contacted this morning. After my post yesterday I remembered that my com acted up as I was submitting and thought maybe it didn't go through so I resubmitted last night. I got alot of my questions answered but I have a new one. I called and I am waiting to hear back (answering machine) but maybe someone on here could answer it for me. We have 2 kids and if we are not able to find a sitter for the amount of time we will be gone we will need to bring them with. It was mentioned during the call that one person can accompany me at no additional charge. What would it cost (other than travel, passport and other expenses) for my children to accompany me as well? They would stay in the same room as my husband and I so there would be no need for an additional room. I don't know if that would be the reason for additional costs or not but I figured I would mention it.