Wellbutrin Tablets

G'Day all,

This is my first post, I decided to get Lap Band surgery on February 9th, 2007. This forum is great and has answered most of my questions.

I am currently taking Wellbutrin and the tablets are about 1/2" diameter. Since they are slow release they recommend that I do not break or crush them. So has anyone else dealt with this problem? Will 1/2" diameter tablet go down ok?

Many thanks

Aussie guy in Oregon.

Current Weight: 295 lbs.

G'Day all,

This is my first post, I decided to get Lap Band surgery on February 9th, 2007. This forum is great and has answered most of my questions.

I am currently taking Wellbutrin and the tablets are about 1/2" diameter. Since they are slow release they recommend that I do not break or crush them. So has anyone else dealt with this problem? Will 1/2" diameter tablet go down ok?

Many thanks

Aussie guy in Oregon.

Current Weight: 295 lbs.

The general rule Dr. Martinez told me, is that if its larger than a 200mg Ibuprofen, it should be split. However, I currently have no problem taking my Metformin, which is about 4 times as large.

Is the Welbutrin actually 1/2 inch in diameter? Or do you mean 1/2 inch long? A half inch diameter pill would be larger than any I have seen, but 1/2 inch long is within normal size. Taken with a full glass of water, it should go down okay.

The general rule Dr. Martinez told me, is that if its larger than a 200mg Ibuprofen, it should be split. However, I currently have no problem taking my Metformin, which is about 4 times as large.

Is the Welbutrin actually 1/2 inch in diameter? Or do you mean 1/2 inch long? A half inch diameter pill would be larger than any I have seen, but 1/2 inch long is within normal size. Taken with a full glass of water, it should go down okay.

G'Day Greg,

Thanks for answsering. I just got the ruler out and measured the Wellbutrin tablet again. It is exactly 1/2" in diameter, a round tablet that is 1/4" thick (maybe a little more as it has a bit of a dome on the surface). One thing I have not done yet is to ask the manufacturers if they produce smaller versions. I guess the reason for the size of the tablet is to allow for a slow release, but presumably they could mix it with something that would dissolve very slowly and make the tablet smaller.

Cheers

Ian.

G'Day Mel,

I will be coming in on the 8th (my birthday :rolleyes: ), keep in contact and lets talk when you get to Mexico.

Cheers

Ian.

I'm also coming in on the 8th. What time are you arriving in San Diego? What a great birthday gift to give yourself!

Hi AussieinOregon,

I also am on a bunch of medications and was worried about whether I would have problems taking them. I had my lap band done in October and to this point I have not. The only precaution I have taken, is to cut my multivit/mineral in half because it is a huge pill. You should NEVER split a slow release tablet EVER, no matter what it is. Simply put, once you change the integrity of the pill by splitting or crushing it, you would receive the whole dose all at once. With some medications, this could be very dangerous. I am a nurse, and this is a big NO-NO. But, I recommend you talk with your pharmacist to confirm this, and if you feel you need to cut your pills, then you could go off the time released form and onto the regular tablets. Hope that helps. Good luck on your surgery. You won't be sorry. bbuck, RN

Hi AussieinOregon,

I also am on a bunch of medications and was worried about whether I would have problems taking them. I had my lap band done in October and to this point I have not. The only precaution I have taken, is to cut my multivit/mineral in half because it is a huge pill. You should NEVER split a slow release tablet EVER, no matter what it is. Simply put, once you change the integrity of the pill by splitting or crushing it, you would receive the whole dose all at once. With some medications, this could be very dangerous. I am a nurse, and this is a big NO-NO. But, I recommend you talk with your pharmacist to confirm this, and if you feel you need to cut your pills, then you could go off the time released form and onto the regular tablets. Hope that helps. Good luck on your surgery. You won't be sorry. bbuck, RN

Thanks bbuck, I realize I shouldn't split the Wellbutrin SR. The tablet is 1/2" round and 1/4" thick. That is not enormous but it is the biggest tablet I have taken. Are any of your tablets a similar size? Anyone out there on Wellbutrin?