Has anyone deducted the cost of OCC surgery for tax?

It would appear to me that I may use the cost of surgery as a tax deduction. The IRS recognizes obesity as a disease, and it would get Uncle Sam to pay for a good portion of my cost. Has anyone used this as a deduction? Any problems doing so?

that is my plan as well...

Lori,

i have tried numerous times to get some sort of documentation from OCC since my surgery on Nov 2nd thru Rene and Carolyn and neither has responded. I really need some documentation for my tax records. What should i do? I asked the receptionist after surgery for this information and i was suppose to get something from Rene but that never happened. Please help!!

Thanks,

Kim

that is my plan as well...

Lori,

i have tried numerous times to get some sort of documentation from OCC since my surgery on Nov 2nd thru Rene and Carolyn and neither has responded. I really need some documentation for my tax records. What should i do? I asked the receptionist after surgery for this information and i was suppose to get something from Rene but that never happened. Please help!!

Thanks,

Kim

I was given a receipt for the procedure as soon as I paid, and also have my stub from my certified check. The receipt details what all was included for the $8500 I paid. Since the IRS is not a medical agency, I believe this receipt and proof of payment is all I need for documentation for my tax records.

What further documentation have you requested, Kym?

FYI

update...

Lori is wonderful... she already emailed me a copy of the receipt which i have tried numerous times in the past to get. I had wired all the funds to OCC 2 weeks before my arrival and i never got the receipt when i was there.

I was also trying to get a copy of my medical/surgical records for any emergencies that might come up here in Colorado... so far no luck on that one, but at least i now have faith again that if it can be done Lori will help me.

I go for my first fill in Denver next week and i wanted to take as much information with me as possible, especially since i am not sure if Dr Ortiz put a small fill in at the time of surgery. i have the VG band.

Thanks again Lori!

Are we talking about a straight deduction or the "medical expense" deduction which is the amount over a percentage of your adjusted income (like 7.5%)? I've heard about the latter, but if there is some other way to deduct more I'd like to know. One of the guys on my band date thought there might be some other way to deduct the full amount but I haven't heard anything else about it. Anyone in the know?

Roger

Hi Kym,

I'm working on the rest of the things you need - email me with your fax # :)

I am not a tax expert (by ANY stretch of the imagination) so please check with a tax professional if you have questions about what you can write off and how much you can write off!

Hi Kym,

I'm working on the rest of the things you need - email me with your fax # :)

I am not a tax expert (by ANY stretch of the imagination) so please check with a tax professional if you have questions about what you can write off and how much you can write off!

I was previously able to claim a jacuzzi as a medical expense, I just needed my doctor to write that I had degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and spinal arthritis and that it would give me relief. Went right through. I can't imagine that if a jacuzzi would qualify that this wouldn't. I plan to see an accountant soon as I am a 1099 employee, I will see what I can find out and will post an answer if I can get one.

Another way to deduct more of the expense (over the 7.5% of your income) is to set aside funds in your HSA or Flex Spending account. Those funds are taken out pre-tax and can go over the 7.5% limit. As far as I know, the expense does not have to incur in the US. But it does have to be paid by the person taking the claim.

HTH

Steph

Disclaimer: I have worked for several CPAs as a staff accountant, but I am not a CPA. Contact your financial advisor or the IRS.

=D>

It would appear to me that I may use the cost of surgery as a tax deduction. The IRS recognizes obesity as a disease, and it would get Uncle Sam to pay for a good portion of my cost. Has anyone used this as a deduction? Any problems doing so?

All you need is the reciept. We were able to put 100% of our cost on our medical write off. Hope this helps

Kristen

banded 1/06 354 now 291 goal 160

I went onto IRS site nothing there states anything about deductibility in foreign country.

In the IRS pub 17 it has medicine bought in or shipped from a foreign country is not deductible. But then you go to their pub 502 and medicine prescribed in or consumed in a foreign country is deductible if it is legal in both that country and the US.

I am sure if you called the IRS you might get different answers if posed to different people on multiple calls!

I do know that they tax us on world wide income but the IRS has a very one sided slant.

I don't know of any way to get full deduction if it is ok it will be limited to 7.5% of your income there is no tricky way, those only get you in trouble!

I went onto IRS site nothing there states anything about deductibility in foreign country.

In the IRS pub 17 it has medicine bought in or shipped from a foreign country is not deductible. But then you go to their pub 502 and medicine prescribed in or consumed in a foreign country is deductible if it is legal in both that country and the US.

I am sure if you called the IRS you might get different answers if posed to different people on multiple calls!

I do know that they tax us on world wide income but the IRS has a very one sided slant.

I don't know of any way to get full deduction if it is ok it will be limited to 7.5% of your income there is no tricky way, those only get you in trouble!

While I havent talked to my CPA yet, we are planning on writing the medical procedure off, for both my son and myself. We deduct dental procedures and they are done in Algadones, MX, travel, hotel, fuel, etc. anything related. We have dental and health INS here in the U.S. but have found a Dentist in MX, who is a perfectionist for a fraction of what it would cost here, EVEN with our INS.! My parents do the same, they have INS and thier INS CO. will pay for thier dental work in MX as well! They have to pay the Dentist first, then the Ins. Co. sends them a check for what they allow. Teri

While I havent talked to my CPA yet, we are planning on writing the medical procedure off, for both my son and myself. We deduct dental procedures and they are done in Algadones, MX, travel, hotel, fuel, etc. anything related. We have dental and health INS here in the U.S. but have found a Dentist in MX, who is a perfectionist for a fraction of what it would cost here, EVEN with our INS.! My parents do the same, they have INS and thier INS CO. will pay for thier dental work in MX as well! They have to pay the Dentist first, then the Ins. Co. sends them a check for what they allow. Teri

Hi,

I was wondering who the dentist is that you use.

Beth

I also asked Rene for several docs. and have yet to recieve them......wondering why? I have asked twice for all pre-op test information and results. Important medical information I'd like to have on file. I will also be asking for tax info. while out there for first adjustment this week along with medical info again.

Hi,

I was wondering who the dentist is that you use.

Beth

Valenzuela Dental Group

"B" Ave, Between 3rd & 4th St

Phone: 011 52 658 517 7200

Los Algodones, MX

We stay in Yuma, drive to the parking lot at the border and walk in.

She is a perfectionist and recieved her education in the U.S. Most of

her patients are U.S. citizins. Crowns are $150.00. Hope this helps.

Teri

I just wanted everyone to know i did receive the copy of my medical records to include the blood test results as well as the surgical report. If anyone is having trouble getting the information let Lori know - she will help.

Lori,

Thanks for getting this resolved so quickly - i should have asked you a month ago.

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind, if you take a deduction that is questionable, that may be considered aggressive tax planning on your part. Refusal to declare all of your income is the real problem with the IRS. Declare all of your income and take each and every deduction you are entitled to. Ms883

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems deducting the cost of surgery on taxes? My tax advisor told me that since the surgery was done in a foreign country it could not be deducted, but if there is a way I'de like to know. My husband and I both had surgery and it would be great if we could deduct the cost of 2 surgeries.

[quiote name=kcmomrn' date='Jan 4 2007, 10:34 PM' post='7098]

I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems deducting the cost of surgery on taxes? My tax advisor told me that since the surgery was done in a foreign country it could not be deducted, but if there is a way I'de like to know. My husband and I both had surgery and it would be great if we could deduct the cost of 2 surgeries.

<my understanding is that it can be deducted as long as your Dr. here has stated it is a medical necessity. I guess that would only make it deductable for high BMI patients, but can't be sure. I, for one, am definately going to claim it. Nita

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I did get Uncle Sam to pay for part of my band surgery. Just e-filed my taxes yesterday. My federal refund increased by $1364, and my state refund increased by $434 just from the surgery and travel expenses. So, the government contributed $1798 towards my surgery. Not too bad.

I am fortunate, however, that my income level and tax rate allowed me to take advantage.