Band Failure--Will Sleeve be different?

Hi All.

I got banded back in May 2007. The first year I worked my butt off, followed a diet and worked out quite a bit. I managed to get down from Op weight of 240.0 to @208.0. Never got lower than that. I had several fills and unfills over the years and got too frustrated to go on after Feb 2010.

Since that time, I have settled in at a weight of 235.0 Even completing a mini-triathlon and half marathon last year! My weight/eating habits have not been changed much since the band.

I am now considering scheduling/financing a sleeve and band removal next year. HONESTLY...those of you out there that have gotten revisions...please tell me the truth! I need to know because I don't think I can go through another surgery to just feel like a failure again.!!!

1-Does the Sleeve really keep your appetite in check? (Supposidly removes some of the Gherin hormones produced by the stomach)?

2-Does the restriction stay consistent throughout the day? (With the band I always had restriction in the morning, and by dinner could eat/overeat all I wanted).

3-DOes the sleeve strectch out--allowing you to eat just as much in a few months after the surgery? I never stretched out my stomach with the band, but that didn't stop me from staying overweight!

4-Does the Sleeve make you "BP" or Slime?

5-Does the sleeve have problems with certain types of foods? With the band, the stuff I was SUPPOSED to eat (veggies, salad, meat) were hard to get down/got stuck after only a few bites--leaving me hungry and frustrated, whereas mushy stuff just slid on through!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi, I had a revision from band to sleeve in March 2011. I only lost 47 pounds with the band and never got below 202 working out 4 days a week and following a diet. My band was too tight at one point and after that, I could never find "the sweet spot"...either too tight or too loose. Right now, I am down to 188, the lowest I have been since I was 14. (I'm 31 now.) I am a "slow loser" as I have some metabolic issues, but it's coming off slowly and I'm down to the last 18 pounds.

1-Does the Sleeve really keep your appetite in check? (Supposidly removes some of the Gherin hormones produced by the stomach)?

Yes! I had no physical hunger for the first 6 months, now, it has come back a bit but it is soooo much more manageable now.

2-Does the restriction stay consistent throughout the day? (With the band I always had restriction in the morning, and by dinner could eat/overeat all I wanted).

I still sometimes struggle with head hunger, but I would say the restriction is more consistent, definitely the first couple months you can only eat about 1-2 ounces at a time while your sleeve heals. Now I eat about 4 ounces. Dense protein, I can eat about 2-3 ounces.

3-Does the sleeve stretch out--allowing you to eat just as much in a few months after the surgery? I never stretched out my stomach with the band, but that didn't stop me from staying overweight!

It "stretches" in the sense that after the swelling and such heal after the first 2-3 months you can eat a bit more, but not a huge amount. The sleeve doesn't stretch like a pouch can because most of the fundus, or stretchy part of the stomach is cut out so there is not much to stretch.

4-Does the Sleeve make you "BP" or Slime?

I have only PB'ed twice and it's different than with the band as food doesn't get stuck but if you overeat, you will definitely feel nauseous.

5-Does the sleeve have problems with certain types of foods? With the band, the stuff I was SUPPOSED to eat (veggies, salad, meat) were hard to get down/got stuck after only a few bites--leaving me hungry and frustrated, whereas mushy stuff just slid on through!!!

I have had no problems with any food except sometimes too much sugar will make me feel sick. It was sooo nice to eat veggies and salad and meat again as I couldn't eat it with the band for the last two years I had it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am so with you Roxy..you can read my recent post under a topic written by "Tadpole" called "frusterated"..will give you more of my info and history. I am thinking a sleeve may be the thing for me...how bout we go together?..lol...

• 3 weeks later...

I had sleeve surgery almost 3 yrs. ago and have gained back a little over 60 lbs. in the past year. I'm very disappointed with how short term this surgery lasted. I cannot afford the revision surgery so it looks like i'm destined to be FAT even though i'm still paying for my sleeve surgery every month for the next 10 yrs. I can now eat the same amount of food I was able to eat BEFORE surgery. But i'm told my sleeve looks fine and is not stretched out. Someone is feeding me a line. Good luck to you!