Considering Lap Band surgery...looking for feedback :)

Hello everyone :)

I'm a teenager and i'm considering having a lap band procedure done. I was just looking for some feedback from people who have had the surgery. How much weight did you lose, and how long did it take? what are some of the restrictions that the surgery has had on your life? what kinds of foods and drinks are you not allowed to have? Any additional feedback is more than welcome :)

Thank you!

I had the lap band procedure by Dr. Ortiz in September 2010 and have lost 75 lbs. It has been a lot of work and I love my lap band! The OCC is the most amazing place and I returned for my three fills. My entire experience has been positive. I can no longer eat dry food like breads or chicken breast, but I don't miss them since I am so happy with my weight loss. I understand that sodas are difficult to swallow, but I haven't tried and never drank them prior to my surgery. Send me an email if you have any questions and I will be glad to answer!

Mark

Hello everyone :)

I'm a teenager and i'm considering having a lap band procedure done. I was just looking for some feedback from people who have had the surgery. How much weight did you lose, and how long did it take? what are some of the restrictions that the surgery has had on your life? what kinds of foods and drinks are you not allowed to have? Any additional feedback is more than welcome :)

Thank you!

I was a very fat kid when I was a teen and young man in college. I topped out at 350 lbs in college. At age 53 I made a decision that changed my life, I was banded March 2007. Now I'm down to 200 lbs. My only regret is that the lap band wasn't available when I was young.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just getting my first fill in a couple days...but I've lost almost 40 pounds since October 2011. Not too shabby!! I have had only ONE 'situation' ...hubby had KFC (yuck!) but it was all we had for dinner...so I pulled off the skin and started to eat....note, I have eaten chicken with no problems....but not this one. gag. The pre op diet went well, my surgery was a breeze!! And my post op was easy. Ok, day 5 & 6 were probably the hardest...liquid diet for 21 days seems like a really hard task, but really, for me, just days 5 & 6...I think because I felt FULLY recovered from the procedure and I just wanted something to chew. I hung in there and by day 7 I was rolling fine :)

I'm planning on taking it really slow after my fill, but again, I have been able to eat anything....slowly and chewing really well. If I don't I get a 'heartburn' sensation that lasts for about 30 seconds. It's very uncomfortable, but it goes away fast and just reminds me to slow down and chew chew chew. Good luck with your decision...I would do it again it a heartbeat!