Barium Swallow / Endoscopy

Hi Everybody,

I am having my LapBand removed and Revision Vertical Sleeve surgery in September. OCC mentions that revision patients may be required to have additional testing preformed prior to surgery including a barium swallow and endosocopy. There is an additional fee for this.

I was wondering of you all out there that have had the Revision surgery, did you have to do a barium swallow prior to surgery? Just trying to plan my finances and wondering what the chances are for this?

Thanks!

Cheers, Dottie

Hi Everybody,

I am having my LapBand removed and Revision Vertical Sleeve surgery in September. OCC mentions that revision patients may be required to have additional testing preformed prior to surgery including a barium swallow and endosocopy. There is an additional fee for this.

I was wondering of you all out there that have had the Revision surgery, did you have to do a barium swallow prior to surgery? Just trying to plan my finances and wondering what the chances are for this?

Thanks!

Cheers, Dottie

Check with Lori, she just had it done.

Hi Dottie, if your band is out, we probably won't need the endoscopy - but if your band is still in, its likely you'll have at least the barium swallow, and possibly the endoscopy as well, they need to check for any signs of band erosion before they do the surgery so they know what they are getting in to. The endoscopy will be performed after you are already under anesthesia - the barium swallow will be done as part of your pre-op testing. If nothing shows up on the barium swallow, its possible you won't need the endoscopy, but you should plan for it.

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I still have my band and had it emptied last year in September. It hasn't been giving me any problems... but, good to know that I should plan on the additional charge. About 4 months and counting....

Dottie