My progress - Plicated July 2, 2012

UPDATE FOR Monday July 16th:

I weighed in at 194 today, so that is 5 lbs for last week. SUPER excited about that. People tell me they can notice the weightloss, but I'm skeptical ... I usually think you can start noticing around the 10 lb mark. Oh well.

I felt really good this week. I am still on mostly liquids. I do have a tiny bit of dinner every night with my family. This is my choice, however OCC requests that you are full liquids for 3 weeks post op.

I have *zero* pain. The incisions look terrific! WOW! I am taking the antacid still. I've never had a problem with reflux or anything, so I can't compare pre-surgery to post surgery.

I am low on energy however ... I'm not dead tired, but I'm not as alert as I usually am. I imagine my body is just burning that fat!.

That is all, carry on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey friends, if you don't mind, I thought I'd use this forum as a sounding board for my progress. I'll try and add only to this thread so I don't overwhelm anybody with my ramblings/progress. I hope this will help anyone out there and feel free to ask any questions.

About me:

Plicated Monday, July 2nd

Female

5' 7.5"

Starting weight around 208

Date of surgery weight 202

1st week weigh in 199

I'm very pleased with the three pound loss. I am using my home scale, and I don't care about the decimals ... I'm sticking with whole numbers. Anywhoo ... let me tell you about surgery, etc.

My DH and I were picked up at around 8.30am on Monday from SD airport. It was easy. There were two other gals already in the van. Crossing the border was a breeze. Once at the clinic we went through all the procedural stuff and I'd say I got in to surgery at or around 1.30 or so? Not sure exactly. I met with Dr. Miranda the nutritionist, and Dr. Jimenez the cardiologist. Had an IV placed ... watched DirecTV (awesome... just like home).

I was achy after surgery, nothing major. Now, I have figured out whenever I go under, when I come to, I have chest congestion. I feel like have a ton of crap in my chest. I googled this and it turns out other people also experience this, so going foward, this is something I have remember ... the congestion is gone now.

Now for me, I was STARVING. Seriously, starving. My sister, who also had this surgery almost a year ago, did not experience this and was able to eat up until the night before surgery ... sucky. Also, my tummy makes TONS of gas when I am hungry. Not acid, but gas. This is true even if I didn't have surgery ... if I don't eat every 3-4 hours, my stomach goes nuts and I'll have to take a GasX or something.... it would be fine if I could just let it rip... ha ha ha... but it just stays in my gut and is painful. Oh well. I had some broth that night, and felt a little better.

I was discharged on Tuesday afternoon and went to the Marriott. Very nice. You get free broth at the Marriott. We left Wednesday morning at 6.30am back to the airport. Again, crossing the border and getting to the airport was a breeze for us. We were through immigration and to the airport in less than an hour. My 4th of July was lame because I was very sad, and felt sorry for myself. I was in pain from the gas and hungry. Definitely in regret mode. But on Thursday, I felt 100% better ... sleeping in my own bed was great.

Everyday I feel better and better. I took all my pain medication, and I'm now only taking the antacid. I have also broken the rules and tried some food and drank coffee. Please don't follow my example. :) My incisions look GREAT. Seriously ... super pleased with those.

Although I still feel hungry, it's a managable hunger. Food for me is such a pleasure, so I am in mourning I'd guess you say. This to shall pass.

All in all, an okay week and it's getting better and better for me.

Meredith

Thank you for sharing that Meredith! It looks like you are doing great. 11 More days until my plication and I plan to journal that experience here too for others to read. I know how I wish there were more updated posts here so I appreciate yours and intend to follow through adding mine.What were the prescribed medications you needed? Did you take the papaya enzyme everyone talks about for gas? It seems to be popular and helpful here from past posters. Please feel free to contact me too.

Continued success!

• 3 months later...