OCTOBER SURGERIES

This is the topic for those who are scheduling their surgery during the month of October. Posting in this topic gives you the chance to meet other patients that are going to be in TJ during this month. So lets hear from the soon to be Gastric Plication patients.

• 2 months later...

Hi

My surgery is less than a week away, Oct 15. Getting more nervous than excited now. I keep thinking "what if this doesn't work for me?". I have 5 more lbs to loose this week, I've lost 11 so far.

I will start writing about my experience and weight loss. I am 42 279lbs married from Chicago with a 2 & 4 year old.

KP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok! I'm home from surgery from the 15th. As of right now if someone said would you do it over I would say yes. Briefly in going to give you some tips then ill tell you all about it.

I would suggest bringing someone - not because you have to but you are definitely in a foreign country and its nice to be with someone for support as is as clueless as you are. Lol!

2nd make sure they have your cell phone number. I had given them my home number for the consultations and not my cell. They needed to contact me when I landed in San Diego thankfully my husband was home and relayed the message.

Pack very light and confortable like they say.

Bring singles for tips. I did not exchange my currency. Everyone took US dollars.

Ask a bunch of questions to your driver that picks you up from the airport and the one that takes you back to the airport. They will let you know the times they will pick you up for surgery(if your not going straight there) and they tell you how to get back across the border.

I brought my breathing spirometer but was never asked for it and I didn't use it. At all.

I didn't bring any food with me and I didn't need to.

That's all I can think if right now. I'll write more later. Gotta get the kids fed.

Hi again. For sure the hardest part is going liquids only. That's pretty rough. I landed in San Diego and the van was 20 minutes late. They did call and when they arrived I found them quickly. Upside, i was standiing next to Ty Pennington the whole time! Van was not as nice as I expected but it did the job. The driver told us what time the hotel shuttle was going to get us in the morning.

The hotel was beautiful. I'm a frequent traveler and my room was upgraded which included free food and drinks throughout the day on the 10th floor. Great for your friend.

One sec.

The next morning the Marriott shuttle took us to the occ. not the nicest area (i dont think anything is in tijuana) but it is next door to a police station. And I felt safe the whole time. Outside of the building could use work but the inside was fine.

This is what I liked there was absolutely no b.s. I'm sure all of us tried or inquired about some kind of weight loss surgery in the USA. There are presentations,multiple doc visits, shrink visits, insurance crap. None of this here. No nonsense.

I walked in and in 5 minutes the nurse took me to a gurney insert a port into my hand for meds and stuff. Then the nutritionist weighed me and talked post diet. Then another doc hooked me to an EKG machine to make sure I'm good. Then then take me to my room and wait for the doc and surgery. Can you imagine that in the USA? That would have taken 4 different doc visits.

Waited about 30? 1 hour? Not sure. The nurse came in gave me some relaxing drugs. Doc came in and went over everything answered questions. I fell asleep and they rolled me in and the surgery was done!

I slept most of the day. I woke up around 7 and felt surprisingly good. No pain I was able to walk and go to the bathroom. No desire to eat/drink. Slept on and off they the night still no pain.

The next day they had me sip barium to check for any leaks they found none and I was good to go!

They released me around noon. Shuttle picked me up. Went back to the hotel showered and went to the hotel restaurant. Didn't really eat. No pain from the incisions. Tenderness only I thought it was the pain pills but I still have no pain 3 days later.

We went back to our room took a nap then went shopping at the fruit market. We asked for a touristy market place where I could buy suede and stuff but they took to a fruit market. Oh we'll. I felt absolutely fine walking around for a few hours.

I'll write more tomorrow. Someone post something so I know if I'm posting this correctly. Also ask me any questions too!

Yes the preop and post op is hard! I didn't think I'd miss chewing so much. Lol

Thanks, I'm doing well lost 7 lbs since the surgery 8 days ago. Not too shabby. Hopefully I can keep it up. I've been feeling hungry the last 2days. I'm pretty much able to eat now without discomfort or anything just burpy. I'm hope my stomach is small enough. That's my worry now that its not small enough! I'm still on liquids but here and there I eat solids. I haven't gotten that uncomfortable feeling of fullness like I'm going to puke. I'm not drinking that much - right now a Campbell's soup on the go chix and stars. About 1/2 and I'm done. Started at 289 now 267! Can't tell though yet. Let me know how it goes!