Did Anyone Travel and Have Surgery Alone?

Hi all:

Having surgery August 27, very excited! The only thing that concerns me is that I'm flying to San Diego alone, staying at the Marriott alone, and having surgery alone. Did anyone else do this? I would love to hear about it. Most concerned about the night in the hotel alone after surgery....

Blue

Traveling alone, I beleive (at least in 2010), the OCC gives you the option of staying at the clinic the night after surgery if you are concerned. Having said that, although I had a companion with me, I was up and ready to go back to the hotel by 2 p.m. that day and then walked about 2 miles once I got back to the hotel.

• Like 1

Staying at the hotel alone would not have been a big deal. It's not bad at all. All you want to do is relax afterwards. I brought my boyfriend because he wouldn't let me go alone but I think staying at this Marriott is just like any other in the US.

doing it right now.....had a quiet day pre-op as I had to fly in sunday am for a monday surgery. Things I don't like about the marriott would be the same with/without a companion.

I am dying of thirst as I am on the two-day-liquid..and they provide two bottles of water. Small small counter/store off the lobby and water/tea/sodas are cheap at least. I am on the 1st floor and have a lovely view of a roof (the lobby level). (I will object after surgery if they put me in this again). Spent the afternoon at the pool; it is nice, security guards on duty, big wall, beautiful pool area.

your key only works for the floor you are on, and there is no ice machine on the 1st floor...that took several hours to figure out. (brain dead....). Everyone is very polite. The driver joel picked me up right at baggage claim outside...there was a little confusion (not his fault)(united changed my flight number)...but short drive. The border crossing was extremely easy. Stopped, hello from the border agent, we went. (didn't even have to show passport...(I guess it is getting back INTO the country that is longer).

Hi all:

Having surgery August 27, very excited! The only thing that concerns me is that I'm flying to San Diego alone, staying at the Marriott alone, and having surgery alone. Did anyone else do this? I would love to hear about it. Most concerned about the night in the hotel alone after surgery....

Blue

I've done it several times, the OCC shuttle picks you up at the airport and takes you to the OCC clinic or the hotel. Very easy and very safe.

• Like 1

I HATED my return experience. It was so uncomfortable. It was my impression that we were going to drive thru on the way back and that walking across was only a once-in-a-while thing. The driver was so very nice but he told me I would be walking and that I could cut in front of the very long line of people. That made me so uncomfortable and I was by myself dragging my luggage. It was not the environment to be a trouble maker, ya know? Anywhoo, I told the guards on the other side of the fence that I had just had surgery and they reluctantly let me through. I felt like a jackass to be honest. And then I had to wait about 20 minutes on the other side for the driver to bring the van through and around. I'm so glad it didn't take so long because I was totally out of my element.

This was just my experience though and the only bad part about my trip. I am greatful I did it still. Not sure if I'll go back for my fill there. Maybe other people have had a better experience coming back, or it didn't bother them so much?

doing it right now.....had a quiet day pre-op as I had to fly in sunday am for a monday surgery. Things I don't like about the marriott would be the same with/without a companion.

I am dying of thirst as I am on the two-day-liquid..and they provide two bottles of water. Small small counter/store off the lobby and water/tea/sodas are cheap at least. I am on the 1st floor and have a lovely view of a roof (the lobby level). (I will object after surgery if they put me in this again). Spent the afternoon at the pool; it is nice, security guards on duty, big wall, beautiful pool area.

your key only works for the floor you are on, and there is no ice machine on the 1st floor...that took several hours to figure out. (brain dead....). Everyone is very polite. The driver joel picked me up right at baggage claim outside...there was a little confusion (not his fault)(united changed my flight number)...but short drive. The border crossing was extremely easy. Stopped, hello from the border agent, we went. (didn't even have to show passport...(I guess it is getting back INTO the country that is longer).

SouthernOregon, let me know how it goes!!!!

I HATED my return experience. It was so uncomfortable. It was my impression that we were going to drive thru on the way back and that walking across was only a once-in-a-while thing. The driver was so very nice but he told me I would be walking and that I could cut in front of the very long line of people. That made me so uncomfortable and I was by myself dragging my luggage. It was not the environment to be a trouble maker, ya know? Anywhoo, I told the guards on the other side of the fence that I had just had surgery and they reluctantly let me through. I felt like a jackass to be honest. And then I had to wait about 20 minutes on the other side for the driver to bring the van through and around. I'm so glad it didn't take so long because I was totally out of my element.

This was just my experience though and the only bad part about my trip. I am greatful I did it still. Not sure if I'll go back for my fill there. Maybe other people have had a better experience coming back, or it didn't bother them so much?

Well, thanks for the heads-up! I didn't know we might have to walk across the border -- yuck!! But now I stand warned. :excl:

Well, thanks for the heads-up! I didn't know we might have to walk across the border -- yuck!! But now I stand warned. :excl:

In reality, everyone walks across the border when leaving Mexico unless your in your personal car. The OCC van pulls up in the commercial lane and everyone and their luggage gets out and goes inside the US customs building via a side door to be screened. The commercial lane bypasses all the auto lanes and the mile long walking line. After the US customs and border personal check your passport and screen your luggage, you walk out the building on the USA side, with your own luggage and rejoin the OCC van to continue your trip to the San Diego airport. During this process, US border officers are screening the OCC van and driver, after the inspection they release the van and he drives to a secure parking lot just past the customs building and waits for the OCC patients.

Depending what time of the day it is and how you cross the border, wait time can be 20 minutes to hours. The fastest and safest is always with the OCC van.

It wasn't explained to me that I could access a commercial gate. thank you for the clarification!

You will not use a commerical gate you will use the same gate as ALL people walking across into the US when we were dropped off with the line of like 200 people waiting.

I have never had to walk in the line of people. I have ridden in the OCC van through the commercial lane and stayed in the van until it was time for the van to be searched. I then walked into the side of the customs building into a very short line and walked through to the US side. It has been almost a year since I've been there so maybe some things have changed, but I have never had to wait very long.

You will not use a commerical gate you will use the same gate as ALL people walking across into the US when we were dropped off with the line of like 200 people waiting.

IT all depends on time of day. The OCC were SLOW the day we left and got our drains out. They wanted us there at 9 am we all waiting till after noon to get drains pulled and then we had to wait again for the van and got at the boarder around 2PM.

OH and they told us that we didn't have to wait in line to just cut the line all of us. Customs were not happy about this at all. Also they wanted us to put one of us in a wheel chair to cut the line too.

IT all depends on time of day. The OCC were SLOW the day we left and got our drains out. They wanted us there at 9 am we all waiting till after noon to get drains pulled and then we had to wait again for the van and got at the boarder around 2PM.

OH and they told us that we didn't have to wait in line to just cut the line all of us. Customs were not happy about this at all. Also they wanted us to put one of us in a wheel chair to cut the line too.

Now that WAS my experience, exactly. I know there are 2 different crossing they use. Mine was the Otay border crossing, I believe. It wasn't the one I came in thru.