A few concerns

Hi I am really considering the Gastric Sleeve. I am 22 and my weight is 315 I am well aware that it is unhealthy to be this much overweight. But I am a little afraid that about having the surgery in mexico. I am also afraid that something will go wrong with the during the sugery and I am afraid that there might be complications with the sleeve. Are these concerns normal. I really want to have the surgery because I want to live a happy healthy life and I have so much that I want to do. If there is anyone who could help me ease my concern and help me make up my mind I would appriciate it.

Thank you so much!!

Mishell

Hi I am really considering the Gastric Sleeve. I am 22 and my weight is 315 I am well aware that it is unhealthy to be this much overweight. But I am a little afraid that about having the surgery in mexico. I am also afraid that something will go wrong with the during the sugery and I am afraid that there might be complications with the sleeve. Are these concerns normal. I really want to have the surgery because I want to live a happy healthy life and I have so much that I want to do. If there is anyone who could help me ease my concern and help me make up my mind I would appriciate it.

Thank you so much!!

Mishell

Call Lori the OCC surgery coordinator, she had lap band to the sleeve and has had great results. I know there are others that have had it done too. So, can any of you give this girl some advice?

Mishell, your so young! The quicker you get a handle on it the better :) I think all of us that had surgery at the OCC in MX had concerns about complications, safety, etc. But it really is a nice facility and they take great care of their patients. I did enough research that I had complete confidence in my decision to use Dr Ortiz and the staff was just wonderful. The sleeve wasn't around when I made my decision to have survery, I'm a band patient so I really can't help you with any sleeve questions.

I went down with a friend that had surgery at the same time, I've sent down one family member and 2 people I work with to the OCC and all had the same great experience. Since that time, I live in WA, a bunch of us have gotten together from time to time that had surgery at the OCC

I don't think you can go wrong :)

• Like 1

Hi Mishell,

I have to proceed my response with the disclaimer that the decision to have gastric sleeve surgery is a personal one and only YOU can decide if that is what is best for you!

That being said, my perspective is this, unfortunately, there are 'popular' negative opinions in the US of Mexico. That manifests in all sorts of snide inaccurate ways, not the least of which is making the ridiculous presumption that "Doctors in Mexico are butchers". The reality is that there are some great Doctors in Mexico, there are some great Doctors in the US. There are some bad doctors in Mexico, there are some bad Doctors in the US. That is why it is important that as prospective patients of ANY Dr. ANYWHERE, irregardless of what country they are in, we do our homework on that Dr.'s credentials, success rates, and background. Yet how often do we do this with our US Doctors?

Personally, I did my research on Dr. Ortiz and the OCC before I decided to have my plication procedure. After the research I felt confident with Dr. Ortiz's qualifications, experience, and success rate. Because I felt confident with him, I had my procedure. The surgery center was top notch and they were very aware of my health and vitals throughout the entire process. Personally, I do not regret my decision. I have lost nearly 50 lbs and am near my goal weight. I look and feel great and I smile so much more.

Whatever your decision is, I wish you a happy future and great success.

Take Care & Good Luck,

Ana