APRIL SURGERIES

This is the topic for those who are scheduling their surgery during the month of April. Posting in this topic gives you the chance to meet other patients that are going to be in TJ during this month. So lets hear from the soon to be Gastric Plication patients.

• 4 weeks later...

I had surgery on the 2nd of April 2013. For the most part it was a good experience and I feel fine. I am not hungry and am not forcing myself to drink calories. I try and stick to a shake in the morning and strained soup if I get the urge. I think the hardest time I have had was with the smell of food. Once in a while I will get a shooting pain in my abdomen but that has subsided.

Another issue that I want to see if anyone else has encountered is the area where the IV catheter was placed. The nurse or technician had issues finding the right spot. Which is normally an abnormality for me as I have given blood multiple times and never had an issue finding a vein. I thought it was simply sore and gave it time to go away but I am no concerned. It has not gone away and in fact is bruised and very tender. I can feel the vein and it feels solid or hard in some spots.

I was 265 when I filled out the paperwork for the surgery. I was 238ish when I had the surgery and am just under 225. I was losing 2lbs per day and it has slowed to under 1lb or so with little intake. Is this normal? What should the rate of loss be during the "liquid diet" period?

Thanks for any response.

Hi Cowboy and congrats! I had the same issue with the IV. I had my plication on March 28 and to this day my arm is still bruised. The tenderness has subsided but it was really sore the first week.

I can also relate to the small consumption rate, although I've gotten better I'm barely able to take 16 oz of water a day... For what I've read we should be taking at least 32oz daily.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions and again congratulations!

the tenderness and the bruising is very normal from meds being pushed into your iv. It is a totally different than giving blood. It is is sore you can ice it or put a warm damp cloth on the area and it will help.

If you give blood too much you can scar your veins making it harder when your veins need to be accessed for IV's or when you need to get blood drawn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lump where my IV was and it stuck around for about 2 weeks. I was concerned, but it disappeared with time. I was the last surgery of the day so I was super dehydrated. I have a hard time finding a vein at the best of times (I think my veins are frightened), but it was extra difficult with the dehydration. If it's still there after a couple weeks, I'd seek medical attention.